What are your 2 favourite video clips of the Beatles?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
MarkRJones1970

What are your 2 favourite video clips of the Beatles?

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Mine have to be:

1) When The Beatles played at Treslong in Holland in 1964. They are interviewed in a separate room before going into the place they were going to perform. Imagine being in the audience and hearing the Beatles but you can't see them. You know they are in the next room and you will actually see them for real imminently. Then the band are informed that they are ready for them and they walk from the interview room to the one they are going to be miming (and singing over). You can hear the footsteps made by the Beatle boots as they walk nearer and nearer to where they are sitting. When they come out and audience sees them for the 1st time their reaction brings tears to my eyes. The performance then is one of the maddest I've ever seen, one where the band end up getting swamped by the audience - they are literally standing next to the band. Some of them are doing some very dated 60s dancing which gets some odd looks from John and George which culminates in George spotting a very small lady, he laughs, looks at John, who then also notices said lady then also cracks up. The whole show ends in carnage with some of the band not even visble and certainly nowhere near their microphones and Neil Aspinal and Mal Evans scoots them off before the end of the last song which, of course, you can hear play to the end, with no band members in view anywhere! It's chaotic and amazing viewing.

2) Any of the 3 performances of Hey Jude with the audience present. Each member of the audience they show in the clips illicits a pang of jealously from me that I was not there (I still had another 2 years to wait to be born in 1968). Singing along to Hey Jude with Paul at any of his past concerts was a religious experience so imagine what it would have felt like to be singing along in 1968 with Paul, John, George and Ringo present and to have it recorded and your presence then preserved in that footage for years and years to come. You can tell too that John especially, is enjoying himself. I always listen out to his cry of "LOUDER!" during the start of one of the end refrain, as he trys to get everyone going. The bit where you can lip read Ringo saying "Everybody sway", then starts swaying in time to the music, is also one of my looks out parts.

Over to you. What Beatles footage sends chills down your spine (as these do to me) when you watch them?
Last edited by MarkRJones1970 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
simond9X

Re: What are your 2 favourite video clips of the Beatles?

Post by simond9X »

I know what you mean about both of those but, for me, it has to be the Washington 64 concert. For a start, it's just such a great show - the Beatles at the top of their game. But they're not yet that big (in America) that they don't have to shift their own gear around on stage. It's always amazed me that they were expected to turn Ringo's drum riser and move their mike stands to the other sides of the stage. And no monitors, just the sound from their own amps. If I had to pick just one, it would be this. Oh.... you said two? OK, chuck in the Cavern Club footage as well.
tammytingles

Post by tammytingles »

simond9X wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 am I know what you mean about both of those but, for me, it has to be the Washington 64 concert. For a start, it's just such a great show - the Beatles at the top of their game. But they're not yet that big (in America) that they don't have to shift their own gear around on stage. It's always amazed me that they were expected to turn Ringo's drum riser and move their mike stands to the other sides of the stage. And no monitors, just the sound from their own amps. If I had to pick just one, it would be this. Oh.... you said two? OK, chuck in the Cavern Club footage as well.
I'm with you. There are a number of contenders, but since Washington has been worked on, visually, and the audio, it's absolutely my favorite now.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Some Other Guy at The Cavern

Long Tall Sally in Washington (although that Twist And Shout comes a close third)
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Love the Paperback Writer and Rain clips at Chiswick....so crystal clear.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

The first Ed Sullivan show. George was amazing!
Second would be Shea Stadium.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

I've always loved the Hey Jude and Revolution film clips... so fun to watch!
—Keith
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Not sure they are my all-time favourites, but I always enjoy re-watching these two:

'Drop In', 30 October 1963, when the host asks them (for the second time) to do 'one more [number]' and Paul rips into 'Long Tall Sally' without any indication to his mates that he's about to sing that song, yet no one misses a beat (which leads me to think the whole thing was planned).

And that 'Get Back' sessions teaser Peter Jackson gave us in January.

... or John pretending to have a hard time playing a bar chord during the 'Ticket to Ride' promo film at InterTel Studios (he sticks his tongue out, I think).
... or John giving the Nazi salute for a larf from the balcony of the Liverpool Town Hall (10 July 1964) before Ringo asks him to cut it out!
... or John asking Dusty Springfield to 'show [him her] scabs' during an early "Ready, Steady, Go!' (3 October 1963) appearance.
... or John repeatedly poking Paul in the head from behind while Paul is being interviewed (16 October 1963).
... or John tapping Paul on the opposite shoulder while Paul is being interviewed, so he'll think it was someone else (22 February 1964).

This should really be 'what are your favourite video clips of John Lennon'? :)