NEXT Peter Jackson Beatles film(?) project

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Lord Reith

Re: NEXT Peter Jackson Beatles film(?) project

Post by Lord Reith »

Doug wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 am Was it the performance he hated, or that Lingasong issued the tapes without The Beatles' permission? I think his playing on the Star Club tapes is fine.
No he hated the tape itself. I can't remember his exact words but it was along the lines "imagine somebody recording you when you were drunk and at your worst".

He first heard this in 1973 I think, and that was right when he was beginning to be acclaimed as a distinctive slide guitarist. Whatever the case, I think the ragged sounds of the guitar playing on the tape probably embarassed him a lot. To this day a lot of people credit John's messy solos on that tape to George. So he probably found the whole affair career-damaging. We now also know that the Kansas City Cavern acetate was originally on Anthology 1 but disappeared at the last minute... I bet anything it was George who nixed it because of the guitar solo.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:31 pm
Mr Hankey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:17 pm My first thought was allowing him to use his audio technoology on the Star Club tapes. He made a reference to them in one of the podcasts he did that came out during the Get Back launch. George and the other Beatles have disparaged that tape so much, but if he can do to those taoes what he did with the Nagras....I'll be overwhelmed.
I've had that exact same thought. Just bring up the vocals a tiny little bit and a nice stereo mix please :D
I didn't realize PJ had done work on the audio portion of Get Back movie. Was it a restoration of complete songs or, was it just removal of synch beeps and slate/roll numbers? What he did with the the picture quality was incredible. I don't recall a discussion of his audio improvement on this forum. If somebody could direct me to such a post, I would be most grateful! Thank you in advance!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:08 am I didn't realize PJ had done work on the audio portion of Get Back movie. Was it a restoration of complete songs or, was it just removal of synch beeps and slate/roll numbers? What he did with the the picture quality was incredible. I don't recall a discussion of his audio improvement on this forum. If somebody could direct me to such a post, I would be most grateful! Thank you in advance!
KC
It's in the Things We said Today podcast (try googling it i don't know the url). He said that his sound guys had been working with a modified version of Spleeter and had improved it and used it to reblance some of the mono audio as well as isolate some of the faint conversations. He plays some very brief samples of what are very clean separations, but there is no mention of whether they have been cleaned up manually in post production (highly likely though). By the sound of the extractions it is clear that their algorithm (called MAL) is a hybrid waveform/spectrogram model and is very, very similar to Demucs3 (Facebook's demixing algorithm which is free to use). In fact it would not have been out of place as a contender in the Sony Demixing Challenge last year because it is derived from the same research. However I guess the big difference is that Peter is a Beatles fan, whereas the creators of the other algorithms aren't necessarily. So it has probably been trained and optimized to work best on Beatles music.
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:02 am It's in the Things We said Today podcast (try googling it i don't know the url). He said that his sound guys had been working with a modified version of Spleeter and had improved it and used it to reblance some of the mono audio as well as isolate some of the faint conversations. He plays some very brief samples of what are very clean separations, but there is no mention of whether they have been cleaned up manually in post production (highly likely though). By the sound of the extractions it is clear that their algorithm (called MAL) is a hybrid waveform/spectrogram model and is very, very similar to Demucs3 (Facebook's demixing algorithm which is free to use). In fact it would not have been out of place as a contender in the Sony Demixing Challenge last year because it is derived from the same research. However I guess the big difference is that Peter is a Beatles fan, whereas the creators of the other algorithms aren't necessarily. So it has probably been trained and optimized to work best on Beatles music.
Did PJ use this to improve the nagras in Get Back?
Also, thank you for that delightful enlightenment.
The technology is becoming more and more versatile.
Keep up the great work! I just saw the video you posted.
Everything Zen?
Everything Reith!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:38 am Did PJ use this to improve the nagras in Get Back?
Also, thank you for that delightful enlightenment.
The technology is becoming more and more versatile.
Yes he did, and that was a great idea. He wisely chose not to make them stereo, but to tweak the mono balance like I did with Top Of The Klas. The sound of the nagras in the tv series is incredible.