The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
rhino

Re: DROP IN (complete show)

Post by rhino »

Thank You Lord Reith !
Rubberswan

Post by Rubberswan »

Thank you very much for this wonderful show. It's good to see it in context; those kids didn't know what was about to hit them.

One thing that strikes me is just how much The Beatles were plagued with sound balance issues. For example, Drop In - Paul's vocal mic barely audible to begin with, George's guitar very quiet; It's The Beatles - Ringo dead mic, followed by a minute of hilarity where the sound engineer tries raising every fader in turn trying to find it without success; Melbourne '64 - George's guitar almost inaudible; Miami Ed Sullivan - All over the place with the vocal mics. There are probably others.

In the Drop In show, the sound balance is fine until The Beatles come on. Were The Beatles unexpectedly very loud and took the sound engineer by surprise? Were they only expecting one vocal mic (John's) to be used? It doesn't sound as if there was any form of rehearsal/sound check.

Speaking in general terms, given that there is relatively little material from TV shows and filmed performances, it's surprising just how much of it was sub-standard in some way.

The performances are, as always, excellent.
"The rubber swan is mine" - Vaughn Meader, The First Family, 1962
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

My laptop is down for the count, so if anyone converts this to a single video file and wants to share, my gratitude will be boundless.
Tubla

Post by Tubla »

The show that changed my life forever!..... Thank you, Reith!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:44 pm My laptop is down for the count, so if anyone converts this to a single video file and wants to share, my gratitude will be boundless.
Why the single file? :?:

I have heard from the chap who gave me this video back in the day and he also has a reel to reel recording of the audio, so when he gets back from holiday i should be able to sort out a new lossless version of this audio.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:29 pm
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:44 pm My laptop is down for the count, so if anyone converts this to a single video file and wants to share, my gratitude will be boundless.
Why the single file? :?:

I have heard from the chap who gave me this video back in the day and he also has a reel to reel recording of the audio, so when he gets back from holiday i should be able to sort out a new lossless version of this audio.
I was just hoping someone eventually converts it to MP4 (or another format). I can’t cut DVDs anymore. My poor laptop is getting up in years.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 pm I was just hoping someone eventually converts it to MP4 (or another format). I can’t cut DVDs anymore. My poor laptop is getting up in years.
Download and install Handbrake, open the folder containing the DVD files, select a suitable preset (Fast 576p25 will do for regular SD) and click Start Encode.
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

Or install VLC player (free) and watch the DVD (VIDEO_TS folder) as is. No disc needed.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

InnerLight wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:43 pm Or install VLC player (free) and watch the DVD (VIDEO_TS folder) as is. No disc needed.
Exactly. You can either click on VIDEO_TS.IFO or right click on the folder containing the files and select VLC Player. The menu will then appear like an actual dvd.
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

beatlesnyttigt wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:27 am Thanks Lord Reith. :) Robert
Seeing this show in 1963 was what turned me on flat to The Beatles. Forever.
I even still have the same TV set I watched it on then at home now, still working, and I sometimes watch this show from a DVD I made years ago on this TV (it's a Philips 22" from 1957, black & white of course with mahogany cabinet and very very rounded screen corners and a 15" internal speaker). A sort of time machine. Love it. It looks like this (but it's not my photo as I'm not at home now)
Hey beatlesny,

This has to be the most wonderful thing I've read on the web all month. I was there in the U.S. in Feb '64 (2 years old watching Ed Sulllvan), but you clearly win on this one. Love that you can re-experience it today on the same Phillips just like it happened. Thanks so much for the share.

Michael