Surprised Shea Stadium 2016 Hasn't Been Leaked !

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Lord Reith

Re: Surprised Shea Stadium 2016 Hasn't Been Leaked !

Post by Lord Reith »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:43 pm If they release it, how much better would it even be from our undubbed and overdubbed versions that are already out there? Everything they actually release is tampered with, and unless they actually saved source rolls, I doubt there is anything much more preserved.
You have a point. It's true that the video-sourced promos on the 1 bluray are far worse than a standard vhs. Get Back of course is a wonderful documentary but is somewhat spoilt by being in the wrong aspect ratio and having all the grain removed. Then there was the Magical Mystery Tour bluray... well, the less said about that the better. So while if they just put the 4K scan from ten years ago onto bluray, it'd be an upgrade to what we have, in this day and age that isn't going to happen. It'll be all messed up somehow (if it ever happens at all, which I think there is very little chance of now). Really, I don't think Apple have any intention of ever doing these sorts of things. Documentaries, yes (Anthology, First US Visit, Eight days A Week, Get Back) . The original albums remixed with bonus material, yes. Their movies, yes. Samplings of their BBC output, yes (On Air). A sampling of their tv promos, yes (1+). But original tv and radio shows? No. There is no precedent for that in anything they've ever done, unless you count lobbing Washington in with the iTunes remasters, which I don't. We didn't even get the three Hollywood Bowl shows, even though the two that really count could have fit on one cd/lp.
Eric_Manchester

Post by Eric_Manchester »

Fun 4 None wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:44 am I also have done my best to archive released clips of the remaster. I actually tracked down and found an Australian StudioCanal promo which no one had seen before, and posted it to my channel.
Thank you for doing that! Some things do get used for promotional reasons and get out to the public that way. In today's international world, it's harder than ever to find everything that's out there, so I admire your work.

After STAR WARS came out, they showed an amazing number of clips from the movie as they were promoting it, on talk shows and in shows about make-up or special effects. I was able to put together about 15 minutes of the movie that way, from the opening crawl to the destruction of the Death Star. This was five years before the movie was released to home video.

Promotion is a little more diciplined these days, so usually only two or three sequences will be used worldwide for everything.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Star Wars!

I remember in 1983, Return Of The Jedi had just started at the cinema and was the biggest thing since sliced bread. One night I'm at a friend's do and there's this guy there clutching a videotape. I ask what it is and he says "Return Of The Jedi". I was astounded. That must have been the first time I had ever heard of pirate videos. But i also thought he was really dumb, having paid more for the tape than an actual cinema ticket, to watch it in terrible quality on a tv. Surely he missed the point of the movie?

Of course, now that pirate tape would probably be better quality than the official original version on dvd. :lol:
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I'll always associate the third movie with its working title, "Revenge Of The Jedi." As there was swag out for the film long before its release.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Eric_Manchester wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:11 am
Fun 4 None wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:44 am I also have done my best to archive released clips of the remaster. I actually tracked down and found an Australian StudioCanal promo which no one had seen before, and posted it to my channel.
Thank you for doing that! Some things do get used for promotional reasons and get out to the public that way. In today's international world, it's harder than ever to find everything that's out there, so I admire your work.

After STAR WARS came out, they showed an amazing number of clips from the movie as they were promoting it, on talk shows and in shows about make-up or special effects. I was able to put together about 15 minutes of the movie that way, from the opening crawl to the destruction of the Death Star. This was five years before the movie was released to home video.

Promotion is a little more diciplined these days, so usually only two or three sequences will be used worldwide for everything.
That's a cool story! Did you have the 8mm projector film? I believe they made one of Star Wars.
Eric_Manchester

Post by Eric_Manchester »

Yes, I bought a copy of that official Super-8 home film. It was about ten minutes of selected scenes. Being a poor teenager, I could only afford the silent black and white version (it has subtitles for the dialogue!). There were also color/silent and color/sound versions, but those were way out of my price range. I still have that print, by the way.

With the prevalance of home video in the early eighties, VHS and similar bootleg copies of movies were tape-traded amongst collectors. I still have some of the ones I got. The quality was usually terrible, but the ability to see them at will was the point. Of course, any Cinemascope movies (like the STAR WARS movies or RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) were panned-and-scanned, so about half the picture was lost. Official home videos were also panned-and-scanned, so no great difference there. When the official STAR WARS home video finally came out, I stupidly taped over my bootleg copy of the movie, thinking there was no reason to keep it. I didn't know at the time that there were differences between the theatrical release and the official home video.