Let It Be (1970 Film / New Transfer of 1981 Magnetic Video VHS)

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Megazeti

Re: Let It Be (1970 Film / New Transfer of 1981 Magnetic Video VHS

Post by Megazeti »

I saw the betamax of this release on ebay recently but frowned when wanted nearly US 200 bucks.
millerTEK

Re: Let It Be (1970 Film / New Transfer of 1981 Magnetic Video VHS)

Post by millerTEK »

I have several of these original releases including the Magnetic Video release - but you know my favorite is still what I watched when I got lucky back in the EARLY 90s and bought a German VHS for I think about $10. OMG - first off the tape was in the PAL format (I think that's why he unloaded it to me), so luckily I worked at a PR non-profit that had this expensive VHS unit that could play ANY VHS format and would make an NTSC direct copy and remove any copy protection. When I first watched what I had - I realized I had something that lots of folks talked about but before the internet - very few owned.

This recording starts with a trailer of an Elvis movie - and it;s hilarious as the voices are overdubbed in German. Very interesting to watch. Then Let It Be starts and the recording was in perfect condition as you had a few minutes of tape with the Elvis trailer protecting it! The aspect ratio as well as the coloring was so different and so much clearer to watch! I compared by playing my US copies on another machine...TOTALLY superior quality. Even the Laserdisc was inferior as it ALSO uses that US aspect ratio and coloring. Luckily my German copy was in English completely, yet during a couple spoken areas without music - German subtitles appeared. So....at my early 20s in the 90s...I formed a plan....

Back then, before the web, I remember newsgroups were the thing. On alt.rec.beatles, I posted an ad offering to sell copies of this VHS tape for $15 and I include a plastic case and xerox of the cover. Send me the money to this address with your return address. OMG - I got a couple hundred letters! God knows what I did with all the money, but I was always proud of contributing to distributing a copy of Let IT Be with this amazing aspect ratio and coloring.

Anyhow decades have passed! I eventually replaced my US version copies with SEALED copies of the VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, and CEDs. By the way - SEALED VHS and Beta US Tapes have shrinkwrap that includes a white FOX printing mark...

so, let's move to the present -
Over the years with new technology I have seen some nice transfers to DVD and Bluray that have been cleaned up, use widescreen ratios, and even expand the sound to 5.1. I rarely have found copies using the German source I had which is a shame as it is so nice!....but Right now, if you want that original movie, you have to find YOUR favorite, too.

Eventually it will be released - and yes, I was very disappointed that the release of the PJ series did not include the original move remastered. Maybe there is still red tape with United Artists, etc that have to be cleared - no idea. But one day it will happen!

you all have a good weekend -

steve
Attachments
germanletitbe.JPG
germanletitbe.JPG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 891 times
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

millerTEK wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:59 am I got lucky back in the EARLY 90s and bought a German VHS for I think about $10.

steve
Dare I even ask if that’s something you would consider sharing here?
The Milky Bar Kid

Post by The Milky Bar Kid »

cliftdean74 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:19 pm The Beatles "Let It Be" (1970 original documentary) MP4

Yes, I know, none of us need another copy of this movie. I'm sure like me there are at least 10 different versions
of it on your hard drives. Having said all that I'm offering this one up as well.

This is a 2021 transfer that I made from an original 1981 Magnetic Video VHS. I used a Panasonic AG-1980 VCR
for the playback and I really liked the results. Shortly after I did it the Get Back documentary premiered and
that kept us all busy for a while.
Good one, montgomeryjames47 (!!) :lol: :D
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:13 am
millerTEK wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:59 am I got lucky back in the EARLY 90s and bought a German VHS for I think about $10.

steve
Dare I even ask if that’s something you would consider sharing here?
Wow - it's gotta be out there by now. I have no way to make a direct copy of my German VHS now...LOL
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

This is incredible! Thank you!

Listen, guys... I have reasonable English, but not quite as good as it should be to follow all the "Let it be" humming without subtitles. Does anyone have any idea if I can adapt an existing srt file to this video?
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

is anyone able to put this up via a different download method? i don't think i'll ever time it right and not be thrown back by the too many downloads message. thank you in advance!
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.
bulldog69

Post by bulldog69 »

Thank you
Bless you wherever you are :)
sam004

Post by sam004 »

millerTEK wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:59 am I have several of these original releases including the Magnetic Video release - but you know my favorite is still what I watched when I got lucky back in the EARLY 90s and bought a German VHS for I think about $10. OMG - first off the tape was in the PAL format (I think that's why he unloaded it to me), so luckily I worked at a PR non-profit that had this expensive VHS unit that could play ANY VHS format and would make an NTSC direct copy and remove any copy protection. When I first watched what I had - I realized I had something that lots of folks talked about but before the internet - very few owned.

This recording starts with a trailer of an Elvis movie - and it;s hilarious as the voices are overdubbed in German. Very interesting to watch. Then Let It Be starts and the recording was in perfect condition as you had a few minutes of tape with the Elvis trailer protecting it! The aspect ratio as well as the coloring was so different and so much clearer to watch! I compared by playing my US copies on another machine...TOTALLY superior quality. Even the Laserdisc was inferior as it ALSO uses that US aspect ratio and coloring. Luckily my German copy was in English completely, yet during a couple spoken areas without music - German subtitles appeared. So....at my early 20s in the 90s...I formed a plan....

Back then, before the web, I remember newsgroups were the thing. On alt.rec.beatles, I posted an ad offering to sell copies of this VHS tape for $15 and I include a plastic case and xerox of the cover. Send me the money to this address with your return address. OMG - I got a couple hundred letters! God knows what I did with all the money, but I was always proud of contributing to distributing a copy of Let IT Be with this amazing aspect ratio and coloring.

Anyhow decades have passed! I eventually replaced my US version copies with SEALED copies of the VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, and CEDs. By the way - SEALED VHS and Beta US Tapes have shrinkwrap that includes a white FOX printing mark...

so, let's move to the present -
Over the years with new technology I have seen some nice transfers to DVD and Bluray that have been cleaned up, use widescreen ratios, and even expand the sound to 5.1. I rarely have found copies using the German source I had which is a shame as it is so nice!....but Right now, if you want that original movie, you have to find YOUR favorite, too.

Eventually it will be released - and yes, I was very disappointed that the release of the PJ series did not include the original move remastered. Maybe there is still red tape with United Artists, etc that have to be cleared - no idea. But one day it will happen!

steve

Maybe it's because of you that German print was shared around the world.
By far the best version I have ever seen of the film. If that was you thank you.
I seem to remember some folks at BZ took that and redubbed the sound from the Nargra's
Part of Henry the Horse project Last Blast..
macca4ever

Post by macca4ever »

cliftdean74 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:19 pm
Yes, I know, none of us need another copy of this movie. I'm sure like me there are at least 10 different versions
of it on your hard drives. Having said all that I'm offering this one up as well.
Perhaps you're right but one copy more is better than one less, so many thanks for yours