Format: DVD-5
Video: MPEG2 VIDEO / 720*480 (4:3) / NTSC / 29.97 fps / 7000-8000 kbps
Audio: PCM / 1536 kbps / 48.0 khz / 2 ch
DVD 1: 74:24
DVD 2: 65:06
DVD 3: 73:44
DVD 4: 66:36

Set One: The Tour Years
This set includes at least one version of every surviving song The Beatles ever mimed to.

The audio has been re-laid and precisely synchronised from the mono mixes and presented in lossless wav format for maximum listening pleasure. The video has also been upgraded and enhanced and is completely free of timecodes and other screen junk.

Included are all the "Intertel" promo videos recorded by the band in 1965 and 1966 in newly-sourced unbooted form, as well as a host of other rare mimed performances from such shows as "Ready Steady Go", "Thank Your Lucky Stars" and "Big Night Out".

Rounding off volume one are ten songs from The Beatles first two films, remastered with mono sound and presented in uncropped 4:3 format. "Tell Me Why", "If I Fell" and "The Night Before" have been restored to full length and all the tracks from "A Hard Day's Night" now run at their correct speed.

Also included are original audio options for some tracks, a couple of bonus tracks and a 5:1 slideshow featuring over one hundred still photos.

Hobs said:
"The aim of these discs is to bring together decent-looking versions of all the songs The Beatles mimed to during their career with high quality, properly synchronised audio. I've reworked it many times, adding or upgrading material along the way. The video is derived from a lot of different sources, some booted, some not. I went over all the images and reset the levels to create a consistent overall look with good contrast and strong colour. Sometimes I compiled a clip out of several different sources, if I felt that the effect wasn't too jarring.

I chose the mono mixes for the soundtracks, because those were the versions the group were miming to, and because a lot of the songs included in this collection don't have good stereo mixes (I Want To Hold Your Hand, Day Tripper, Paperback Writer and Lady Madonna being good examples). I could have included both, but that would have meant twice as much work and a sacrifice in overall audio and video quality. Obviously for tracks where there are live vocals, I've used the original audio track. Likewise, all the Let It Be material uses the original audio (in stereo). In some instances I've included the original soundtrack as an option, either because of its rarity or some other unique aspect. The main audio tracks are lossless PCM, ie: cd quality.

The full download also includes a complete set of DVD artwork (covers, cd label's) and some support notes.

As "Hobnail" also states:
This is entirely a fan project and nobody makes any money out of it. It isn't a business venture, it was done for the free amusement of myself and our friends, who probably own every official cd ever issued anyway.

Excellent attitude and JPGR's greateful thanks for the worthwhile effort and fantastic results.

JPGR Comment:
I love this set, especially the live performances (The Tour Years) - fantastic and so good to have. Amazing what can be done using home "amateur" techniques, begging the usual question - why hasn't their been an official release like this !?

Set Two: The Studio Years
This set continues with the colour promos made from 1966 onwards.

The audio has been re-laid and precisely synchronised from a variety of sources including the mono mixes, original soundtracks and, for the 1969 material, full stereo mixes. The video has been compiled and edited from a vareiety of sources to provide high quality images throughout.

Included are the official promotional films recorded by the group, as well as special events (like "Our World"), surprise bonus tracks, songs from the films "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Let It Be", plus hundreds of still photos.

Also included are original audio options for some tracks, surprise bonus tracks and a 5:1 slideshow featuring over one hundred still photos.

The full download also includes a complete set of DVD artwork (covers, disc label's) and some support notes.

As "Hobnail" also states:
This is entirely a fan project and nobody makes any money out of it. It isn't a business venture, it was done for the free amusement of myself and our friends, who probably own every official cd ever issued anyway.

Excellent attitude and JPGR's greateful thanks for the worthwhile effort and fantastic results.

JPGR Comment:
I love this set, especially the live performances - fantastic and so good to have. Amazing what can be done using home "amateur" techniques, begging the usual question - why hasn't their been an official release like this !?

DVD 1: The Tour Years
1 Love Me Do - 2:17
Rec: 27/08/1963
"The Mersey Sound" - Little Theatre, Southport
This was a promo made in the 80's. It uses the incomplete mimed performance from 'The Mersey Sound', but here the audio has been changed to the Ringo version !

2 Please Please Me - 1:57
Rec: 11/02/1964
Washington Coliseum
Another 80's promo and included simply because there is no extant mimed version. The audio is changed to the mono single version

3 Twist And Shout - 2:31
Rec: 14/08/1963
"Scene At 6:30" - Studio 4, Granada TV, Manchester
There is a break in the original film near the very end, the missing frames have been replaced with a quick shot of George.

4 From Me To You - 1:55
Rec: 01/09/1963
"Big Night Out" - Didsbury Studio 1, Manchester
This extended clip is made out of the shortened version mimed to on the above show, filling the missing sections with cine material from the "Baby It's You" promo.

5 She Loves You - 2:17
Rec: 04/10/1963
"Ready Steady Go" - Studio 9, Television House, London

6 I'll Get You - 2:02
Rec: 04/10/1963

7 Money - 2:51
Rec: 20/10/1963
"Thank Your Lucky Stars" - Alpha Studios, Birmingham

8 This Boy - 2:07
Rec: 25/11/1963
"Late Scene Extra" - Studio 4, Granada TV, Manchester

9 I Want To Hold Your Hand - 2:24
Rec: 25/11/1963
"Late Scene Extra" - Studio 4, Granada TV, Manchester

10 All My Loving - 2:06
Rec: 23/02/1964
"Big Night Out" - Studio 1, Teddington
These four clips had a distracting timecode ticking away at the bottom of the screen, which Hobs has fudged out.

11 I Wanna Be Your Man - 1:56

12 Till There Was You - 1:23

13 Please Mr. Postman - 2:34

14 It Won't Be Long - 2:09
Rec: 20/03/1964

15 You Can't Do That - 2:31

16 Can't Buy Me Love - 2:11

17 Roll Over Beethoven - 2:41
Rec: 05/06/1964
"The Beatles In Nederland" - Cafe Treslong, Hilegorn, Denmark
When the fab four appeared on Dutch TV they wisely mimed rather than allow Jimmy Nicol to be heard making a meal of their songs. However the mic they were given to make announcements with was left open during the performances, catching Paul and George's sing-along vocals. Which one can hear if you select the original audio instead of the overlaid mono mixes.

18 Long Tall Sally - 2:02
Rec: 05/06/1964
"The Beatles In Nederland" - Cafe Treslong, Hilegorn, Denmark
This is also the only time cameras ever captured John playing his solo in Long Tall Sally - on every other occasion they were pointed in the wrong direction. Unfortunately this show has never appeared in anything but middling quality, but here at least it is watchable.

19 A Hard Day's Night - 2:29
Rec: 05/04/1964
"A Hard Day's Night" - Marylebone Station, London
Basically, the opening movie credits with some other bits cut in.

20 And I Love Her - 2:31
Rec: 23/03/1964 - 02/04/1964
"A Hard Day's Night" - Scala Theatre, London
All of the following Hard Day's night extracts (through to Tell Me Why) have been reconstructed:
During filming of A Hard Day's Night the cameras were run at 25 frames per second for the musical numbers, rather than the normal 24fps. This was done to avoid strobing lines appearing on the tv monitors seen on set. This regrettable decision meant that all the numbers sounded slowed-down when screened at the normal cinema frame rate. Most of the vhs and dvd releases were also transferred at 24fps. The Mirimax UK dvd rerelease did run at 25fps, but it was cropped and the audio quality was awful. Here we have the 24fps version with the film speed increased to the correct rate before re-laying the audio. This production has also reconstructed the ending of Tell Me Why and blended the two available If I Fell clips together (the more interesting of which was incomplete). Both mono mixes of And I Love Her are included, with the US one being the default.

21 I'm Happy Just To Dance With You - 1:56

22 If I Fell - 2:22

23 I Should Have Known Better - 2:40
Rec: 31/03/1964

24 Tell Me Why - 2:07
Rec: 31/03/1964

25 I Feel Fine - 2:18
Rec: 23/11/1964
"Ready Steady Go" - Wembley Studios, London

26 She's A Woman - 3:00

27 Baby's In Black - 2:04

28 Kansas City - 2:28

29 She's A Woman - 2:59
Rec: 14/11/1964
"Thank Your Lucky Stars" - Teddington Studios

30 I'm A Loser - 2:26

31 Rock And Roll Music- 2:29

32 Bonus Track: Beatles Cartoon to Eight Days A Week - 2:41

DVD 2: The Tour Years
1 Help! - 2:16
Rec: 22/04/1965
"Help!" - Twickenham Film Studios
The original audio track features a unique mono mix with double-tracked vocals during the opening refrain.

2 You're Going To Lose That Girl - 2:17
Rec: 30/04/1965

3 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - 2:08
Rec: April/May 1965

4 I Need You - 2:29
Rec: 03/05/1965
"Help!" - Salisbury Plain - Knighton Down, Larkhill

5 The Night Before - 2:35
Rec: 03/05/1965
"Help!" - Salisbury Plain - Knighton Down, Larkhill
A lot of people's favourite song from the movie was spoiled by the sudden intrusion of She's A Woman halfway through. This production has had some surgery so that one can enjoy the complete uninterrupted track.

6 Another Girl - 2:05
Rec: 27/02/1965
"Help!" - Balmoral Island, Bahamas

7 Ticket To Ride - 2:57
Rec: 23/11/1965
Intertel Promo - Twickenham Film Studios
Ringo standing playing drums, while the others sit in director's chairs.

8 I Feel Fine (2 versions) - 4:36
Intertel Promos - Twickenham Film Studios
Version 1:
John and Paul in black roll neck jumpers singing around gym equipment. Ringo on an exercise bike, George singing into a punchball.
Version 2:
The Beatles eating fish and chips around the gym film set (this version is from a much poorer source).

9 Help ! - 2:17
The Beatles sit on a beam, Ringo holding an umbrella.

10 We Can Work It Out (2 versions) - 4:31

11 Day Tripper (version 1) - 2:46
Clapperboard says, "Take 1 - Second Version"

12 We Can Work It Out (version 3) - 2:14

13 Day Tripper (version 2) - 2:45
Clapperboard says, "Take 1 - Third Version"

14 We Can Work It Out - 2:14
Rec: 1/11/1965 - 2/11/1965
"Music of Lennon and McCartney" - Granada TV, Manchester
These two tracks are from a repeat broadcast in 1984.
There's a lot of motion blur on these clips, but it appears that this is actually burned into the master. It seems that the old 405 line tape was converted to 625 line for the 1983 Granada special The Early Beatles using the 'optical' method - which involves pointing a 625 line camera at a vintage 405 line tv monitor (creating a smeary, slightly blurry, fishbowl effect).
The original soundtrack featured two unreleased mono mixes which one can access by using the remote.

15 Day Tripper - 3:00
Rec: 1/11/1965 - 2/11/1965
"Music of Lennon and McCartney" - Granada TV, Manchester

16 Paperback Writer/Rain - 5:43
Rec: 19/05/1966
Colour Intertel Promos - EMI Studio 1, Abbey Road
Introduced by Ringo for the Ed Sullivan show
The original soundtrack is spoiled by the Ed Sullivan audience clapping along, so here the defaults have the regular mono mixes overlaid.

17 Paperback Writer (3 versions) - 7:38
B/W Intertel Promos - EMI Studio 1, Abbey Road
From an unbooted source.

18 Rain (2 versions) - 6:30
B/W Intertel Promos - EMI Studio 1, Abbey Road
From an unbooted source.

19 Bonus Track: Some Other Guy - 2:05
Rec: 22/08/1962 (from the Cavern Club)
According to a Granada engineer writing in Record Collector, the producer of Know The North was unhappy with the original location audio on this clip and sent him down to the Cavern a few weeks later to record a new (audio only) performance to add to the film. The guy duly set up his mics, recorded a complete Beatles set and then returned to Granada with the results. But, try as they might, they couldn't get the two versions to synch up and so abandoned the idea (and the broadcast). The tape was subsequently lost but SOG survived on an acetate reference disc. So with the aid of 21st century technology this production has done what they could not.
The original audio is available as an option.
HIWAX created the timecode-erased video.

20 5.1 Slideshow - And Your Bird Can Sing (Instrumental)

DVD 3: The Studio Years

1 Paperback Writer - 2:22
Rec: 20/05/1966
Chiswick House, Burlington Lane, London

2 Rain - 2:57
Rec: 20/05/1966
Chiswick House, Burlington Lane, London

3 Penny Lane - 2:58
Rec: 5/02/1967 & 7/02/1967
Angel Lane, Stratford, London and Knole Park, Sevenoaks, Kent.
Intercut with film of Liverpool's Penny Lane landmarks with the Beatles not being present.

4 Strawberry Fields Forever - 4:07
Rec: 30/01/1967 & 31/01/1967
Knole Park, Sevenoaks, Kent
This version is actually compiled from several different sources.

5 A Day In The Life - 5:05
Rec: 10/02/1967
EMI Studio 1, Abbey Road
The audio is the mono mix with the opening tacked on from a bootleg.

6 All You Need Is Love - 6:08
Rec: 25/06/1967
"Our World" - EMI Studio 1, Abbey Road.
The song itself is the full colourised version with the original live audio track.
The opening preamble is sourced from a poorer quality B&W film print, but with re-laid speed corrected audio. This B&W part is shrunk slightly to compensate for the zoomed-in nature of the film print.

7 Hello Goodbye (version 1) - 3:31
Rec: 10/11/1967
Saville Theatre, London
The Beatles wearing Sgt.Pepper uniforms, Ringo's drum does not have the name of the band.
In an attempt to disguise the miming, a modified mix was added to the BBC print subtracting the fiddle playing. Since it was never broadcast this way, included is a unique fiddle-less mono mix as an option.

8 Hello Goodbye (version 2) - 3:31
Saville Theatre, London
Casual dress (Apple ident screen bottom left) ....
There are two common copies of this promo, one with a silly blue border and this one with the piece of fruit in the corner.

9 Fool On The Hill - 2:55
Rec: 31/10/1967
"Magical Mystery Tour" - Nice, France

10 I Am The Walrus - 4:39
Rec: 19/09/1967 - 23/09/1967
"Magical Mystery Tour" - West Malling Airfield, Kent

11 Blue Jay Way - 3:49
Rec: 03/11/1967
"Magical Mystery Tour" - Sunny Heights, Weybridge

12 Your Mother Should Know - 2:32
Rec: 24/09/1967
"Magical Mystery Tour" - West Malling, Kent
This production has a unique mono mix with more or less the same balance as the mono mix but without the phasing.

13 Hello Goodbye (version 3) - 3:22
Saville Theatre, London
Edits of takes 1 and 2 with some added outtakes

14 Hey Bulldog - 3:17
Rec: 11/02/1968
EMI Studio 3, Abbey Road
The clip made up in the 90's after they realised that the raw footage used in the Lady Madonna promo was of the group actually recording this song. Here the the audio is changed to the mono mix, rather than the 90's stereo remix.

15 Lady Madonna (version 1) - 2:25
EMI Studio 3, Abbey Road
This is a re-edited version.

16 Lady Madonna (version 2) - 2:18
EMI Studio 3, Abbey Road
The original video promo, fairly redundant as it actually contains footage of The Beatles recording Hey Bulldog.

17 Revolution (2 versions) - Version 1: 3:20, Version 2: 3:34 (with count-in)
Rec: 04/09/1968
Stage 1, Twickenham Film Studios
Version 1 is an edit of takes 1 and 2. Currently the complete take 1 is unavailable. Here it features an uninterrupted voice-over-free audio taken from the rough-edit. This production removes a shot of John pulling a face at the end, which didn't belong there (said Hobs).
Version 2 is take 2, complete.

18 Intro/Hey Jude (edit) - 6:49
Includes David Frost sequence at the start.

19 Bonus Track : Beatles cartoon to Strawberry Fields Forever - 4:03
The clip was incomplete, so here it is fleshed out with some of John's home movies.

DVD 4: The Studio Years
1 Hey Jude (3 versions) - 16:49
Version 1: 7:07 - Paul mouths "Hey Jude" before song starts
Version 2: 2:38 - Edit of ending sequence
Version 3: 7:04
The group did three takes.
Take 1 is presented here uninterrupted.
Only the second half of take 2 is available, from a broadcast in the US on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (where it was edited together with the first half of take 1... this has been removed here to avoid endless duplication and make comparisons easier).
Take 3 is also complete and is the one broadcast in Frost On Sunday.
At least one further short snatch from take 2 is included in the Anthology edit on disc 1, where the redhead in the white dress can be seen being hoisted (or, rather, dragged bodily) up onto the podium.

Two Of Us through Get Back (Tracks 2 to 10 below)
In this Hobs production the audio has been completely re-laid in stereo here, and synchronised it properly. These are not the official promos of Get Back, Don't Let Me Down or Let It Be, (for those who want them, they are available on Picture Perfect's Chronology). Most of these are the uncropped full-frame versions, including Two Of Us and Get Back which were distributed to promote Naked. In Don't Let Me Down the street footage has been removed and replaced with actual performance footage from another Naked promo. That street footage then nicely covered the interviews heard at the start of I've Got a Feeling. One After 909 was issued to promote the Remasters in 2009... here it has a small and fairly innofensive logo. Dig A Pony, Get Back (2) and I've Got A Feeling were originally from the so-called 'Let It Be Director's Print' excerpted on Winter Of Discontent, but in a late upgrade are presented here from an unbooted tape. While slightly cropped at the top and sides, they are less zoomed-in than on other available versions.

2 Two Of Us - 3:28
Rec: 31/01/1969
"Let It Be" - Apple Studios, Saville Row, London

3 Let It Be - 3:58

4 Long And Winding Road - 3:34

5 Get Back (version 1) - 3:10
Rec: 30/01/1969
"Let It Be" - Rooftop of Apple Headquarters, Saville Row, London

6 Don't Let Me Down - 3:19

7 I've Got A Feeling - 3:34

8 One After 909 - 2:49

9 Dig A Pony - 3:57

10 Get Back (version 2) - 3:14

11 Ballad Of John And Yoko - 3:06
Rec: 1968 & 1969
Various locations

12 Something - 3:00
Rec: Late 1969
Various locations - features Beatles with their wives.

13 Bonus Track: The Movie Medley - 4:00
This has a relaid stereo soundtrack.
The dodgy synch is part of its original charm and is unchanged.

14 5.1 Slideshow: Excerpt from The Long Medley - 9:05

Each DVD can be downloaded separately here:
hxxps://gofile.io/d/iP27Ue
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Re: The Beatles - Unsurpassed Promos - 4-DVD Set - Hobs, Apes and Jones

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

Thank you VERY much!
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

I have these but thanks for all the uploads. You must have had extra coffee this morning. 8-)
dylanoscar

Post by dylanoscar »

THANK YOU...!!! :D :D :D :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thank you so much. :D
Tex

Post by Tex »

This was an important collection at the time but some of these have been greatly upgraded or officially released since.

Someone should do an extensive analysis of what's still essential in this set.

I would assume anything not on the "1+" bluray or the recent "Get Back" is still essential.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I collected all the photos for the slideshows & produced the original's artwork! Was good fun! :)

http://www.beatleg.info/music/docs/beat ... av/haj.htm
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Hello everyone, could someone re-upload this wonderful collection? Thank you very much in advance.
apesrfools

Post by apesrfools »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:08 pm I collected all the photos for the slideshows & produced the original's artwork! Was good fun! :)

http://www.beatleg.info/music/docs/beat ... av/haj.htm
My participation/contribution was limited, and centered around distribution only :)
El_Garnatí

Post by El_Garnatí »

Hello Hummus905. It says: This files does not exist.