[flabbyroad]

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by [flabbyroad] »

fl.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Amazing. But now I'm confused.

Based on the identification above, the "rainy day" shots were clearly filmed in Plymouth, but they weren't there until the second day (September 12th) - which leaves the REAL first day footage as... what?

I must say, you guys are absolutely amazing.You must go to sleep at night and have images of the English countryside run through your dreams. :D
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Great find Fl.

It looks very much like there isn't any footage from the first day in the actual film and the outtakes in circulation.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Perhaps they didn't film anything on the first day after all. I know it's reported they filmed in the Pied Piper in Basingstoke then on the bus journey to Teignmouth, but I think some of the accepted info regarding dates/locations has been disproved.
Another well reported "fact" is Alf Manders taking a short cut to Widdecombe to shake off following journalists. The route they took, the A384, is/was the main road to Widdecombe from the A38, then after the A384 the roads get narrower for the last few miles. I reckon Alf knew the chances of actually getting to Widdecombe were slim to zero but doubt he was in a position to say so.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

which leaves the REAL first day footage as... what?
It looks very much like there isn't any footage from the first day in the actual film and the outtakes in circulation.
The first MMT relate footage is from the 11th:

Then the departure of the bus on the 12th (when they arrived at the 11th, I guess it was already dark so it must be the 12th).

It looks like the inside filming of the bus (and the outside) was also on the Den Cres but I'm not that sure:

This footage comes from 'Spotlight South West/ South West at 6 ' and at least Little Nicola wears a different dress then seen in the actual film (Perhaps John wears street clothes too).

So, the first Magical Mystery Tour footage is from some news real and the first film scenes we have are shot near Ashburton Rd at approximately 11:45 and that is just 10 minutes later then slate 1 take 4...

So yes, it seems the filming started on the 12th with the slates in chronical order (perhaps not always the footage, there are clearly some 'original' edits).

fl.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

I must say, you guys are absolutely amazing.You must go to sleep at night and have images of the English countryside run through your dreams. :D
On the road to Rishikesh
I was dreaming more or less....

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:37 pm

Then the departure of the bus on the 12th (when they arrived at the 11th, I guess it was already dark so it must be the 12th).
Do we know what time they arrived at Teignmouth on the 11th? Around that time of year it would be daylight until around 8pm depending on the weather. So could it be the 11th? The different clothing in the b/w footage is puzzling, particularly as they had the film outfits on in Basingstoke. It's much reported that they avoided the crowds at Teignmouth on the 11th by arriving by car and sneaking in the back entrance. Maybe that's not the case?
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Sn00ker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:14 pm
[flabbyroad] wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:37 pm

Do we know what time they arrived at Teignmouth on the 11th? Around that time of year it would be daylight until around 8pm depending on the weather. So could it be the 11th? The different clothing in the b/w footage is puzzling, particularly as they had the film outfits on in Basingstoke. It's much reported that they avoided the crowds at Teignmouth on the 11th by arriving by car and sneaking in the back entrance. Maybe that's not the case?
Found some local reports that say they arrived at Teignmouth at 9pm so the footage of the bus and crowds must be from the 12th. If they got there at 9pm they must have made lots of stops on the way.
tunbridge wells

Post by tunbridge wells »

The Royal Court Hotel in Teignmouth appears to have been rebuilt in a similar style, but with differences such as the entrance steps and the "ground floor" being several feet higher, as these photos suggest
mmt83.jpg
mmt83.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 775 times
mmt126.jpg
mmt126.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 775 times
I suppose this one was taken from one of the windows. Looks like the green opposite has seen some changes too.
mmt87.jpg
mmt87.jpg (229.87 KiB) Viewed 775 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

The Royal Court Hotel in Teignmouth appears to have been rebuilt in a similar style, but with differences such as the entrance steps and the "ground floor" being several feet higher, as these photos suggest
You are right tunbridge wells: I didn't realise it was almost completely rebuilt (and I didn't realise there is some unbooted footage)

Both from a YouTube video mid/ end sixties.

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.