Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Sn00ker

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Sn00ker »

Moptop wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am
Sn00ker wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 pm Can't post a link at the moment but the garage is almost definitely White Horse Motors (can't think why I didn't Google it before) between Tedburn St Mary and Exeter on the old A30. It's not from the 13th as they are travelling in the wrong direction, so again it's from the homeward journey on the 15th. If you follow the road from the garage the houses on the side of the road are there, as is the curve in the road.
sn00ker are you sure?

I agree on the date because of the slate numbers, but using a 1963,1967 &1972 (where 1967 not available online) 1:2500 OS map I followed the A class roads across Bodmin Moor and Dartmoor.

I would place the garage east of Cheriton Cross, whilst the garage has gone the grass verge seems to still be there as does the telegraph post.

Google Street View and 1972 1:2,500 OS map
Wow Moptop that's an incredible find!

Apologies, I wasn't clear, the white horse garage is the one in the footage of them on top of the bus
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

Sn00ker wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:36 am

Wow Moptop that's an incredible find!

Apologies, I wasn't clear, the white horse garage is the one in the footage of them on top of the bus
The A30 is the edge of Dartmoor, so Moorlands was part of the Dartmoor National Park. Searching planning applications there are several references to Moorlands Garage and Cafe and in 1983 the change of use of the cafe to residential.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Nice one Moptop.

Page 18 of the attached also confirms the location and what is there now:

http://cheritonbishop.org.uk/wp-content ... gazine.pdf
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Paul McCartney of English rock and pop group The Beatles stands with two women and children at Moorlands Garage and Cafe during filming of the television musical film 'Magical Mystery Tour' in England on 12th September 1967. (Photo by David Redfern/Redferns)

So the date is 12th september?

fl
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

No it's also 15th on the way back
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:49 pm Paul McCartney of English rock and pop group The Beatles stands with two women and children at Moorlands Garage and Cafe during filming of the television musical film 'Magical Mystery Tour' in England on 12th September 1967. (Photo by David Redfern/Redferns)

So the date is 12th september?

fl
I agree 15th the coach is eastbound on the A30(T). Slate 47. Fish and chips slate 50 on the 15th. no idea where slates 48 and 49 were filmed.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Presumably slate 48 or 49 is the bus sunroof footage? Not sure how the slate thing works, is it a slate for each scene?
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

Sn00ker wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 pm The second screen grab is from reelstreets, and is paired on reelstreets with a 'now' shot of the east side of the Tamar Bridge. When comparing on Google Street view I suspect this is incorrect and they are approaching the Tamar Bridge from the west, which Indicates they took the same route on the return journey.
The first screen grab I found on Google images and must be from the same reel, but I can't find the location (water on the left?). Is the footage available for this?
The screen capture is "My Name is Miss Winter" - The Estuary/River is a very similar height to the road , so can not be the Tamar bridge. We do have a similar shot

14 September 1967 from Clapper Slate 5A Take 1 "My Name is Miss Winter" but no estuary/river to LH.

This raises additional queries about the chronology of slates .

So this would be placed in North Cornwall, not the Devon/Cornwall border.

Does anyone have a map of the filming locations on the 14th, to try and tie down?
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

I agree 15th the coach is eastbound on the A30(T). Slate 47. Fish and chips slate 50 on the 15th. no idea where slates 48 and 49 were filmed.
yes it's 15th on our way home.

When Paul enters the bus after the ' BP gents- scene' he is holding a bunch of dandelions; this is prequelle of the Paul interacting with Mandy West scene so perhaps a clue of the time frame of both scenes and you can spot a bit of the BP parking lot. (won't help anyway)

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:19 pm
yes it's 15th on our way home.

When Paul enters the bus after the ' BP gents- scene' he is holding a bunch of dandelions; this is prequelle of the Paul interacting with Mandy West scene so perhaps a clue of the time frame of both scenes and you can spot a bit of the BP parking lot. (won't help anyway)

fl.
Nice spot Fl