Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Sn00ker

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Sn00ker »

Yes, I too think the first level crossing is the one.
As for the route I agree Newquay, Bodmin, Okehampton, Exeter Taunton if they went North East from Bodmin. I'm sort of doubting myself now as unless we match a location in say Okehampton we're relying on the RAC box. The second RAC box location is quite possible if you disregard the tree growth. The curve of the road is there and the footage of Mr Bloodvessel at the front of the bus looks more likely to have been shot on the road leading up to this RAC box, so they could have gone the same way back as far as Exeter.
The Uxbridge Road footage is the same bit of road but the detached houses are before the terraced houses. So the BBC footage precedes the MMT footage. Could be parts of the same take.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

The second is ´Heathrow Gate House´now Hyatt Place. If it´s the right spot, they turnend bus in the oppeside direction.( The fist shot could also been taken from the building)

fl
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Nice one!
Yes, I'm sure both shots are from Gate House.
I imagine the film crew went to Gate House after the main shoot to get the shots of the bus going passed in daylight and darkness. (Easy enough as the bus company was in Hayes).
The building on the opposite side of the road to Gate House (the "brick works"iirc) appears on old OS maps and seems to have the art deco curves you can see in the night time footage looking down from Gate House.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Nice to see some of the houses have still got a front garden, rather than paving it to park the car on 🙂
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

This image is from Plymouth (there's loads of photos of them getting off the bus and walking to Hoe Park for the famous shot of them sat on the grass):

https://d60a2171-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.goo ... edirects=0

And is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3656126 ... 2?hl=en-US

You can see that that the logo has been torn from the bus, which ties in with the common story of it being ripped off when they got stuck on the bridge earlier that day.

But the logo is back on the bus on this photo from the same location:
https://photos.com/featured/beatles-by- ... ylic-print

All the shots of the bus arriving at Alsop Square, London have the logo already present, so anything without the logo is from between the bridge incident and Plymouth.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Doug wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 pm I don't know if this will help much, but except for a shot of Ivor Cutler in a parking lot (which tells us nothing) here are the first couple of shots.

Not sure if I've attached this file correctly but this is George outside the (probably Moorlands) cafe with the canopy above the door. The poster to the left of the window and the wire joining the top right of the window are a match.
Attachments
The Carnabetian Army.jpeg
The Carnabetian Army.jpeg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Is the man with the white shirt and camera around his neck Spencer Davis?
Attachments
gettyimages-84890279-2048x2048.jpg
gettyimages-84890279-2048x2048.jpg (817.49 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Without a logo before Alsop Squire:

hxxps://we.tl/t-1htmnUnqRH

so take on the road to the 'painter' and then with 'wet' paint to Alsop? ( After several hours delay, the bus finally arrived....)

'probably Moorlands' you're right about the photo; it's the same location nice find.

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Thanks Fl, hadn't seen that footage.

Although I reckon it's from the same day of fill in shots in the Hayes area. If you look at the shots from Gate House, Uxbridge Road the MMT logo is only on one side of the bus.

I would doubt the delay was due to the bus being painted. All the MMT decorations on the bus must be stickers. The delay would probably be due to the general lack of planning.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

The second screen grab is from reelstreets, and is paired on reelstreets with a 'now' shot of the east side of the Tamar Bridge. When comparing on Google Street view I suspect this is incorrect and they are approaching the Tamar Bridge from the west, which Indicates they took the same route on the return journey.
The first screen grab I found on Google images and must be from the same reel, but I can't find the location (water on the left?). Is the footage available for this?
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (40.14 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
reel streets.JPG
reel streets.JPG (28.61 KiB) Viewed 1773 times