Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Sn00ker

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Sn00ker »

Can anyone make out the slate number for Ivor Cutler speaking to the passengers from the front of the bus? There is a slate number for the "yes Mr Bloodvessel" response, but that looks like it was done at a different time/location. In the take that made the film (I think) the bus passes a red letter box while Ivor is speaking. This would be on an OS map.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I cannot read it, but you might be right because the bus driver and Miss Winters are in the front of the bus when Ivor's speaking, and sitting in the back of the bus when the audience is answering.

Unless, of course, the filmmakers wanted it that way. :lol:
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

A first rate THANK YOU to all contributors.
This is a fascinating thread to read. It's very nearly like being on the bus!
I live in Southern California but, I feel like I've been on the MMT.
I recommend this thread to ALL fans of the film.
Thanks, again!
KC
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Moptop wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Sn00ker wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 pm The second screen grab is from reelstreets, and is paired on reelstreets with a 'now' shot of the east side of the Tamar Bridge. When comparing on Google Street view I suspect this is incorrect and they are approaching the Tamar Bridge from the west, which Indicates they took the same route on the return journey.
The first screen grab I found on Google images and must be from the same reel, but I can't find the location (water on the left?). Is the footage available for this?
The screen capture is "My Name is Miss Winter" - The Estuary/River is a very similar height to the road , so can not be the Tamar bridge. We do have a similar shot

14 September 1967 from Clapper Slate 5A Take 1 "My Name is Miss Winter" but no estuary/river to LH.

This raises additional queries about the chronology of slates .

So this would be placed in North Cornwall, not the Devon/Cornwall border.

Does anyone have a map of the filming locations on the 14th, to try and tie down?
I hadn't spotted that Moptop. I don't know really know anything about making a film, but could they have shot all of the "My Name is Miss Winter" takes/scenes as Slate 5's with a subsequent take number afterwards, regardless of when or where they were filmed? And the outtakes available to us are what they compiled during the editing process where they would then select the preferred take. The fact that the outtake reel is not in chronological order is just due to the general chaos of the whole thing.
Last edited by Sn00ker on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Doug wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:39 am I've come to suspect the rainy day footage isn't October 1st (which is unfortunate, because I'd really like to put it there!).

All of the fill-in shots have the decals on the bus applied differently - there's more space between the three words, so it's easy to tell them apart. Also, some shots have a fake set of passengers in the bus, but some shots (the ones taken out in the country) have no passengers at all.

I had put THIS shot on October 1st as well, but I realize now that's a mistake since the bus doesn't have the decals on the side. Also, it looks wet and overcast like it's raining (or had been raining) so I have a feeling this shot comes from the same day as the "rainy day" footage (whatever that is). So, if this shot doesn't go with the October 1st material but seems to match the "rainy day" footage, it stands to reason that the "rainy day" footage isn't October 1st, either. Maybe the weather reports would give an answer.

By the way, are there sources for city directories from the area in the question from the '60's? That would certainly help find the Moorlands Garage.
Doug, there's also the "on the way home - inside" footage, which although dubbed with the drunken-sing-a-long is only Alf driving the bus along what looks like Uxbridge Road, Hayes in the dark. Possibly the same day as the 'Rainy' footage? For some reason I'd assumed the bus had travelled back to London via Uxbridge Road, Hayes, but there's no Beatles in that footage. So possibly later in the same rainy day, with the high up footage from Gate House also filmed the same day.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I assume you mean this footage.

As you can see, the "Magical Mystery Tour" decals are on the bus, which would suggest it's not the same day as the decal-less picture above (unless, of course, that shot was made before they put the decals on).

Also, compare the night-time shot above with the other fill-in shots where the fake passengers are present...

and you'll notice the decals aren't quite the same. There's the wide space between "Magical," "Mystery" and "Tour," and round orange eyeball-thing is present, but I don't see any signs of the rainbow-with-a-star-at-the-end designs (of course, they could have just fallen off during the day).

That said, I also don't see any signs of it having rained (such as in the overhead shot of the Shell station, where one would expect to see puddles here and there).
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Yes, I think you're right (I hadn't compared the decals).
Although in the nightime footage it looks like the decals are only on one side of the bus.
Is it likely that there's a few undocumented days of fill in shots? I can imagine them looking at the footage at the editing stage and then sending the crew out again and again to fill the gaps. I recall a quote from Neil Aspinall saying they didn't have a single external shot of the bus in motion.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Sn00ker wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:16 am
Moptop wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Sn00ker wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 pm The second screen grab is from reelstreets, and is paired on reelstreets with a 'now' shot of the east side of the Tamar Bridge. When comparing on Google Street view I suspect this is incorrect and they are approaching the Tamar Bridge from the west, which Indicates they took the same route on the return journey.
The first screen grab I found on Google images and must be from the same reel, but I can't find the location (water on the left?). Is the footage available for this?
The screen capture is "My Name is Miss Winter" - The Estuary/River is a very similar height to the road , so can not be the Tamar bridge. We do have a similar shot

14 September 1967 from Clapper Slate 5A Take 1 "My Name is Miss Winter" but no estuary/river to LH.

This raises additional queries about the chronology of slates .

So this would be placed in North Cornwall, not the Devon/Cornwall border.

Does anyone have a map of the filming locations on the 14th, to try and tie down?
I hadn't spotted that Moptop. I don't know really know anything about making a film, but could they have shot all of the "My Name is Miss Winter" takes/scenes as Slate 5's with a subsequent take number afterwards, regardless of when or where they were filmed? And the outtakes available to us are what they compiled during the editing process where they would then select the preferred take. The fact that the outtake reel is not in chronological order is just due to the general chaos of the whole thing.
Sorry I've just realised that doesn't make sense as Slate 5 take 1 wouldn't therefore be on the 14th, as we have two takes of "my name is miss winters" approaching Plymouth on the 12th.
Yes, something strange with the slates numbers/dates.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

In the fish and chip shop outtake that was shown on the BBC, at 2.43 Mal is leaving The Swan pub and getting back on the bus with a "carry out"
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

hxxps://we.tl/t-SkgLsAScYN

from 13/09/1967 so near Newquay?

fl