Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Kwai Chang

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Kwai Chang »

Strange but not only and also:
Did the cast and crew ever indulge the services of their locations for lodging? Was everything so close that they could commute every day? Did the Beatles have personal chauffeurs? Was there catering set-up in a different spot every day? Was the bus left on location every night, or was it driven back to storage lot? Was there a linear continuity to the journey? How far away from 'home' did the script require them to travel(Nearest/farthest/average). Were the animal costumes all custom made? Were they generic affairs that would have been familiar to viewers? Or were they from a wardrobe at Twickenham?
And, finally...what kind of Spaghetti was served to Jessie? Was it an omeletti? Kippered herring lasagna? Brylcreem? I've never seen such an affair so un-Italian!
What do you call a fake pasta?
(an impasta)
KC
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Bodmin; nice one Sn00ker! and perhaps it gives a clue for The Courier. I Guess the road fork is 5 Priory Rd and if so we have a timing 11;05h and a direction to Liskeard and logical to Tavistock, Meldon ( Passing Whiddon Down and Cheriton Bishop for sure) .

Just before Chicklade the speediness of the bus was about 30 mph and the Courier is clocked at 12;18h so a range of 35 to 50 miles?

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

I'm inclined to think that the first image looking towards the front of the bus is here, and the route from Bodmin is the A30 to Launceston. I can't say for definite, but it's the logical route for the bus on the way back.

England
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aK7h1fqnMdDFckFU7
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

The idea of the route Bodmin and then Liskeard is based on the bus is passing the/ a fork to the right so it could be the A 38 ( and when in Liskeard they decided not to go again through Plymouth? )

not accurate any more

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

My thinking is that the fork in the road used to be here:

England
https://maps.app.goo.gl/L56MQc9EPoJVaHiu7

We'll not know until we find a location from the 15th between Bodmin and the RAC box at Whiddon Down
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

The route is to Okehampton but A 30 or A 38; they cross at Sourton Down .....

fl.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Were the animal costumes all custom made? Were they generic affairs that would have been familiar to viewers? Or were they from a wardrobe at Twickenham?

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:35 pm The route is to Okehampton but A 30 or A 38; they cross at Sourton Down .....

fl.
Brilliant find Fl !
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

I'll try and post some screen grabs later but there are a couple of locations to find from the 12th, I'm assuming they're from the 12th due to the rain on the windows. Trouble is they could be anywhere between Basingstoke and Teignmouth
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

11th Allsop Place/ Teignmouth :
According to The Beatles Anthology book they should start at 7:30 am at Allsop Place, Lewisohn points out in The complete Beatles Chronicle ‘ it eventually arrived two hours late’ although Lewisohn put the original time for departure at 10:45 it could be the actually departing time seen the original start at 7:30.
Virginia Water an hour later, approximately 11:45? (Slate 1 take 4 is 11:35, and Mandy is seen at 11:45 so there is a little ‘conflict’ about timing but the filming looks like near Virginia Water) Little Nicola on her mothers lap sees a road sign (white cross) and perhaps a bridge, so a footpath perhaps?

By the end of the day they were in Teighmouth ( By bus or car) and there was a drizzle for four hours, so perhaps the ‘rainy day’ captures were in the second half of their journey….
In the original MMT there is a ‘filler’ shot when Mandy asks the passenger look out the window; you can spot a AA- box…..

Any ideas ......

fl.