Sn00ker

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by Sn00ker »

Based on various photos I reckon the tent field is here (on the left):

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4374415 ... 312!8i6656
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Looking at the Moorland Garage/gents footage, can we guarantee that the footage is all from the same location? I can't find it now but there"s a website with the two Moorlands garage photos saying they are scans from a Tony Barrow MMT book attributing them to Newquay 14 Sep.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Tent location:

hxxps://we.tl/t-IajjDYQpfs

In 04 you can spot throug the window some 'antennas' perhaps RAF St Eval Radio Station? 03 ends with a 'fly over by':The AVRO Shackleton's from the RAF St Mawgan airfield; my gues some footage is used in the I'm the Walrus clip.

fl.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Gents,

I think two locations , (BP verses Shell) and the lettering is completely different.

fl
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Many thanks Fl

Looking at the footage the bus is parked on the left of the Google maps location but the field is on the right. So yes it makes sense that the RAF station is in the background.

Not sure if it's significant but the bloke with the white t-shirt, dark jacket and camera on the Moorlands photos is also in the field.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I have the Tony Barrow book. The photo of Paul standing with the two women and the little girl is in it, but the other one (with the Moorlands sign) is not. Based on the poles (?) he's standing by, though, they were taken about the same time.

The photo is in the middle of a bunch of shots from the 14th of the field / tent scene, so it's out of sequence in the book because it's obviously not taken THERE.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Many thanks for the info Doug.
I've resigned myself to the fact that unless some further photos/footage surface we're not going to locate Moorlands Garage.
I did notice a brief glimpse of a different shot/location right at the very start of the Moorlands bit, it's so brief I've been unable to press pause in time.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I don't know if this will help much, but except for a shot of Ivor Cutler in a parking lot (which tells us nothing) here are the first couple of shots.

Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Can anyone decipher the black and white sign in the top right of the second screenshot? I thought it was probably Michelin but there's a letter missing.
Doug

Post by Doug »

It says "ice cream" - no doubt touting the various items the rest stop sells. Below it, the thermometer has what looks like the A&W root beer logo on it (although I have no idea if they even sold A&W root beer in the U.K. in the 1960's!).