Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
[flabbyroad]

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by [flabbyroad] »

a new 'date' that's a nice capture; besides a little more footage and again a red-box... ( street view Aug 2016)

fl.
tunbridge wells

Post by tunbridge wells »

Those Ashburton locations must be the most eagle-eyed yet. Well spotted.
The one that has been bothering me recently is this.
mmt72.jpg
mmt72.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 985 times
A bit of a big ask....it could be anywhere, and I can't find it. The coach is parked up on the wrong side of the road, and the take is a few seconds long, which makes me wonder if it is somewhere they stopped for some time - a garage or filming location. I don't think it is the 13th as John only went as far as Watergate Bay that day.There doesn't seem to be anywhere near the tent field looking likely (14th). There are houses looking like this along what we know of the route, but not where such an angle is possible, or where the bus would park up to make it so, The location with the most resemblance is the corner of Paull Road, Bodmin, where there is a house and garden that look similar, but which would have been altered quite a bit since (though the house next door has a doorway just like it). The bus would have to be parked on the pavement
mmt99.jpg
mmt99.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 985 times
However I'm not fully convinced that they ever went to Paull Road, despite it being widely recorded that they did. It is a dead end on a rather non-descript housing estate off the main road (shortly after the Jolly Jimmy boarding location) and just can't think why they would have gone there.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

take is a few seconds long
On ABP ( Adam Bound Productions ) the timing is from 1:06:15 to 1:07:22 and although it is an edit it seems to be a right 'scene'

I don't think the frontage of the house on the picture is matching with the front seen in the footage, a flat facade with a bay window. According to The Beatles Chronicle page 264 : The second location was in Paull Road, where Jolly Jimmy Johnson boarded the coach ( This part seen at the beginning of the film after Ringo and his Aunt Jessie had climbed on board - see 29th October ) But perhaps no Paull Road at all?

The footage of Lennon sleeping is on The Ultimate Mystery trip Volume 1; Hop On The Bus disc one 11 is after Seavington St. Michael and before the Paul with dandelions, if the time order is right it could be on the 15th and perhaps even before Queen Oak/ Mere. ( I still think the dandelion scene is some how linked with the 'gent scene/ Moorlands cafe.)

Besides the 13th is still a mystery to me if you see the route;

Smugglers Chest/ Huxtable and Sons gives a direction for the bus with Lennon aboard .Watergate bay was in the late- morning and there is some footage of an almost empty coach with Lennon aboard but perhaps it fits with the Watergate bay scenes with all four Beatles. It looks the Camborn/ Reduth trip is with Paul and Ringo without the rest ( confirmed by The Beatles Chronicle ) and then the cycling on a tandem but the given location is Porth well it could be but a what was the route then?

fl
tunbridge wells

I was able to travel around Newquay and the surrounding area on a double decker bus a few weeks ago, and it was interesting to see some of the locations in the flesh. Going through Carnanton, I am now certain that the "water tower" shot is not there and that the tower we see in the film is not the same one. The bus route now takes you to the industrial estate on the edge of the airfield, and right to the tower. It's about half a mile from the road. Also, from the angle it would have to be seen from the road climbs gently (the bus is going downhill in the film) and the fields to the right slope downhill to a small valley (they slope upwards in the film). Therefore I'm 95% sure this seen is on that stretch of road between the airport and the T junction between Trevarrian and Tregurrian, and the water tower we see there has gone.
mmt97.jpg
mmt97.jpg (7.07 KiB) Viewed 881 times
mmt66.jpg
mmt66.jpg (140.25 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Not sure of a date for that one. Possibly 13th (Watergate Bay) or 14th (tent field).
Cornwall Live has also recently published some photos from the tent field shoot, which would appear to be on the Watergate Road just up the hill from Porth, on the Newquay side of Watergate Bay, rather than the Tregurrian side - about here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.43578 ... 384!8i8192
mmt103.jpg
mmt103.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 881 times
mmt106.jpg
mmt106.jpg (63.23 KiB) Viewed 881 times
A little further up the road looking in the other direction
mmt102.jpg
mmt102.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 881 times
The tent field is out of shot but to the right of the photographer standing on the hedgerow. It slopes upward from the road to the cliff edge, which forms the horizon in many of the shots, whereas at Tregurrian, the fields slope down. I would have included a picture of the tent field at this point, but unfortunately the website won't let me upload any more pictures.
tunbridge wells

mmt102.jpg
mmt102.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 877 times
mmt107.jpg
mmt107.jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 877 times
...continued from last post....and the tent field itself, from a short distance further up the road, looking towards Newquay
mmt108.jpg
mmt108.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 877 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

I am now certain that the "water tower" shot is not there and that the tower we see in the film is not the same one.
I still think it's A3059 as pointed out before:

The existing water tower's position match with the one seen on the take-off by the Avro Shackleton

In the footage you can spot pavement and street view gave the same imagine including the tower, so to me it looks the road has the right deviation.

But whats more in the footage you can spot a AA phone box and although I wasn't able to find it on 'digital maps' I have a BP road map which gave a box on the approximately right spot.

So it's still difficult to be sure; angles and locations don't match competently but I think it's the sought location.

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Cornwall Live has also recently published some photos from the tent field shoot, which would appear to be on the Watergate Road just up the hill from Porth, on the Newquay side of Watergate Bay, rather than the Tregurrian side - about here.
I think you're right the field area is just above Port/ Trevelgue as you pointed out; at least as far as the parking of the coach and some tent shots:

for the Trevarrian Hill I jumped to concussions, I took the bend in the road for granted because the flight path of the planes. But if you look to the hedges and wall I didn't match. And even in the plane footage you can see the cars and perhaps the bus parked.

Seems the Tent shots are from one location.

According to the map the name is: Tregurrian or Watergate Beach so perhaps that's the confusion in 'Beatles literature' of the location....

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tunbridge wells

I'd not seen that picture of Paul and Neil with the bus. It looks a field that has been turned over for car parking, possibly with the cliff edge in the background, but difficult to be sure. Or of where it is. It is possible that this field was used...?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.43739 ... 384!8i8192
...as it does look a bit like the one in some of the "Ringo playing football" photos. It is right next to the "other" tent field, so it is possible that the tent was pitched in more than one place. The spot where the bus drives over it looks different to where everybody climbs in side it. It also doesn't help that some of the photos from that day appear to have been reversed left/right. This field has a gate, so you could get the bus into the field
I think the building in the background of the Ringo football shots is the tent, which again, looks in a different place to where it was filmed.
mmt28.jpg
mmt28.jpg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 763 times
tunbridge wells

There is also this photo, which hasn't been reversed
mmt23.jpg
mmt23.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 707 times
which I think is the bus parked in the layby here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.43730 ... 384!8i8192
The gap in the hedge was narrower then. There is also a a derelict barn seen through the window on the right, which would have been in the wide verge we now see to the south side of the road between here and the sharp bend by the airfield.
If you take the streetview back to 2009 you can see the narrower field gate, and then, if you go to here... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.43750 ... 312!8i6656
...you can see the remains of the barn before the gorse took over.
mmt111.jpg
mmt111.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 707 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Paul's clothing, the 13th ? Watergate Bay, Porth ( Atlantic Hotel, 'Spotlight South West' , Paul and Little George cycling on a tandem ?).

fl.