Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
[flabbyroad]

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Is it possible the some parts of the film is pre Allsop place?

In the film you can spot a Milwards Shoe shop, a Tesco; a Mash & Austin ltd vehicle and a railroad crossing and lots and lots more...

hxxps://we.tl/t-oKRULPQqfC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... ed_Kingdom

fl
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

hxxps://we.tl/t-aaGqo03AJ0

It's a Cleveland Petrols and must be distinctive for locals... seen the white horse with black tail and the car? on the roof of a shop.

(I've tried to mail some museums and local historical groups but No Reply, This happened once before... )

13-09-1967....

fl
Doug

Post by Doug »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:28 pm Is it possible the some parts of the film is pre Allsop place?
I don't think so, because it's raining. If they had just wanted shots of the scenery, I doubt they would have sent someone out early on a rainy day. It seems more likely, to me, that they were simply filming the various towns because they literally had nothing else to film on day 1 after they shot close-ups of the various passengers.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Wow! I had no idea all this footage was in circulation. Loads of locations to find!
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Doug wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:28 pm Here's some shots from Day 1 on the way from Surrey to Devon. Since it rained all day, they didn't get much filming done, but did capture shots of the various places they drove through. It seems these should be identifiable.

1. They approach a village.

2. This comes right after the previous screen shot. It looks like the sign says "Coxes End Garage" on the Shell station.

3. A shot of a distinctive building from the same village.

4. After a lot of driving, they pass the Fosters Restaurant & Free House, a lot of scenery that looks like where they did the pick-up shots much later, and this odd place on the left...

5. Finally, after a lot more driving, they come to a much larger town. This has distinctive pub...

6. ... and is much more crowded.

So... identifications, anyone?

Doug, I don't think this is day 1. 3.40 (The bridge crossing) and 8.18 onwards is Henley on Thames. There's also road signs that are hard to make out but I think "Reading" appears on a couple. I think this is a compilation of 'fill in' shots.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Just thought that the opening part of the dining scene outtake looks like it comes from this footage - the bit where the bus pulls into The Wee Waif pub near Reading. I always doubted if they actually went there on the way back, as it's daylight and raining.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I thought I could make out "Reading" as well on one of the signs - and what you're saying makes sense because we never see anything except the shot out of the front window and driver. However, when the pick-up shots from October 1st (with the stand-in passengers) were filmed, it was bright and sunny and clearly not the rainy day seen in the other footage... so... I'm confused (not to mention the point I made earlier - that is, why film pick-up shots in the rain at all? It makes the footage virtually useless because you couldn't intercut it with the bulk of the footage where it's NOT raining).
Doug

Post by Doug »

Another thought... Could the travelogue footage have been shot early on September 11th? They were supposed to be picked up at 10:45 but didn't end up leaving for several more hours while the decals for the bus were being prepared. Could the crew and bus driver have gone off at that point to film the pick-up shots in the rain?
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

It's possible, Fl suggested that already. If we can find some of the other locations we can determine how much driving was done. I tend to think think they wouldn't have had the time to cover the distance before Alsop Square.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Market Square

You're (obviously) right - some of that footage was taken in Henley-on-Thames (from 13:06 to 16:46). The best I can figure it, the footage starts out on Hart St., then they turn right onto Bell St. and finally another right onto Marlow Road... though I have no idea why they'd be heading north.