[flabbyroad]

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by [flabbyroad] »

"Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' "

It will not make much difference for the route but still:

Near Ashburton ? same scene as with Mandy

After Ashburton and before Plymouth according to the slate numbers

Near Buckfastleight or from the 15th sept?

I think before Ivybridge (but a not so adequate guess)

You can read 'Mill' and it was a 'bus stop' so just before Ridgeway Plymouth? Should be easy...

'a Nigel Jarvis', near Newquay

15-09-1967 on our way home... near Zeals?

The rest of the Gents... (a not so holy grail) 15-09-1967?

shots from the 01-10-1967 near Roundabout Maidenhead/ Foster Bath?

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Tue May 23, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

The policemen and Mal stood by the bus is 64-66 Higher Bore Street, a few yards before the Courier boarding the coach scene. So it's from the 12th and incorrectly attributed to Nigel Jarvis (not surprising as it's from the Daily Mail).
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

The "mill" bus stop could be Lee Mill. As the writing looks to be on a petrol pump I was never sure if it said Mill or Mile.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

The policemen and Mal stood by the bus is 64-66 Higher Bore Street, a few yards before the Courier boarding the coach scene. So it's from the 12th and incorrectly attributed to Nigel Jarvis (not surprising as it's from the Daily Mail).
You're right no dispute: Bodmin

Then some reflections:

with turnbridge wells in mind, 'Royal Hotel Teighmouht revisited'. It must be Penhaven Court, Newquay but that is built in 1990 according to some sites. A rebuilding then? Perhaps but the bus isn't the original bus, so that's the solution.
fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:08 am
You're right no dispute: Bodmin

Then some reflections:

with turnbridge wells in mind, 'Royal Hotel Teighmouht revisited'. It must be Penhaven Court, Newquay but that is built in 1990 according to some sites. A rebuilding then? (On Youtube is a film from june 1990 with the building in its current occurrence. )

fl.
Fantastic spot FL. Is that footage on the Adambound compilation?
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Is that footage on the Adambound compilation?
It's from The Beatles, Magical Mystery Tour Memories; Wienerworld 2008. The rest of the footage in the documentary is genuine but not this shot of the bus in Newquay, Island Crescent, it's a 'replica' bus. (So, no magical mystery after all)

fl.
tunbridge wells

Post by tunbridge wells »

I wonder if the Neil at the back of the bus footage is here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.40171 ... 312!8i6656
travelling towards Newquay descending from Mountjoy to Quintrell Downs over the railway bridge? That's assuming the very prominent line of trees in the footage look like Dutch Elms, possibly which would have all died off in the 1970s.
mmt127.jpg
mmt127.jpg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 929 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

travelling towards Newquay descending from Mountjoy to Quintrell Downs over the railway bridge?
Difficult to be sure but it is a 'strong contender'. After all, there are not many grade-separated (railway) crossings on the 1967 coach route, and it looks like the bus is crossing one so a great spot indeed Tunbridge. It fits in the route after Raf St Mawgan A3059 back to Newquay. (And if so, I think the passing of 'White Cross' and Newquay Rd train crossing should be on the 15th seen the direction.) Again, hard to be sure but the poles on the right site and with some 'imagination' the bridge railing/wall is also on the right site including a farm ....

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Sn00ker wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:33 am https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.50684 ... 312!8i6656

I think this is possible match, bearing in mind that the A30 has been widened.
Looking at this one again I'm pretty sure this is a match. They seem to have been filming through the roof on this stretch of road.

I have to say that the location map is a fantastic piece of work, well done Fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

The one maybe impossible. Quite distinctive brickwork and "inn" above the door.
Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (984.41 KiB) Viewed 762 times