Potential Restoration Project?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Anonymoose

Potential Restoration Project?

Post by Anonymoose »

Hello,
I purchased a 16mm print of of some Beatles clips a while ago. They look to be of Revolution on the Smothers Brothers and Experiments in Television, both of which has already been put out before.

Would it be reasonable to make scan of this and potentially restore it? Its faded red but looks and sounds fine to me.

I’ve attached a short clip of Experiments in Television below.
hxxps://we.tl/t-RfHrgBZK00
Megazeti

Re: Potential Restoration Project?

Post by Megazeti »

And info on the film reels (writing on the reel or the film leaders that kinda thing)or any proofing like where you got it from. Sorry if im been nosey.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Would the Smother Brothers clip simply be a kinescope of the video recording?

The "Experiment in Television" looks to be good quality even if severely color faded.

If you can provide a HQ scan of just one frame people here can take a shot at restoring the color in Photoshop and see how much it can be improved. But, if all the green or blue is gone nothing can be done.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Megazeti wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 pm And info on the film reels (writing on the reel or the film leaders that kinda thing)or any proofing like where you got it from. Sorry if im been nosey.
They would be film copies traded/sold in the collectors market nothing more.

The 1st generation films were broadcast and then stuffed away and people made copies over the years.

Would copyright even apply?
Anonymoose

Post by Anonymoose »

I bought it off Ebay, but the listing has since disappeared. The description did say it was a dupe though.
Onkster II

Post by Onkster II »

My recommendation would be that, since these appear to be dupes and are color-faded, they wouldn't be worth investing too much in as far as digitization/restoration. Dupes tend to have less detail, as well as issues like crushed blacks, fuzziness, etc. And faded/pink color can oftentimes be very difficult to fix.

It might be fun to have it digitized, but I suspect these have already been done better by people closer to the original sources.
KitsuHitsuyy

Post by KitsuHitsuyy »

In my opinion, you shouldn't get your expectations too high for it we have them in master quality but the main reason for that would be the fact it's a videotape to film transfer, which makes the quality very low and unfaithful, to say the least.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitsuBeatles/
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/qaCPu9VrsY

Saw Paul on November 30th, 2023 at the Mané Garrincha Stadium, Brasília, Brazil!