THE BEATLES IN NEDERLAND (deluxe version)

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Lord Reith

Re: THE BEATLES IN NEDERLAND (deluxe version)

Post by Lord Reith »

WilliamShears wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 am Now, what the hell was this guy doing to Paul at 24:04?
There were some party hats going around, maybe a whistle or a sweet?

At another point some guy on stage is fanning John from behind with a magazine. John turns around looking unimpressed and stands with his back to the camera! :lol: My favourite bit though is when a midget sneaks up in front of George and he and John look down and see her suddenly, and their reaction is priceless.

The audience were a bit weird weren't they? Neil Aspinal looks furious as he comes to rescue them, leaving Jimmy behind all alone and forgotten! Shades of Pete! :lol:

Something else noteworthy is that the set designer (who actually gets an onscreen credit) completely stole the idea from the first Sullivan show. But the arrows, if you look carefully, are all crooked!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Claude_de_Faux

Post by Claude_de_Faux »

Thank you !
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:48 am
bobzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 pm I'm curious for anyone who grew up in the 60s, did the miming of songs fool any of you? Like did you know they were miming and didn't care, or did you think they were actually playing? The reason I ask is because Jimmy's drum playing on this is painfully obvious (to me right now) that he's not actually playing. But I'm also not a kid anymore, so is it just me looking at it with some experience of knowing what someone is supposed to look like playing for real?
According to a book I have, The Beatles refused to perform live on this show giving the reason that "they don't trust any engineers except our own." The real reason was no doubt that they didn't want to be heard on national tv with Jimmy Nicol on drums! Given that he is playing EVERY SONG wrong, they absolutely made the right decision.

Imagine it... you're a studio drummer who gets a gig with the world's biggest band. Do you immediately swot up on all the actual drum parts (which are not all that complicated) and do a professional job of it, or do you just "wing it" and play whatever might suit you? When he starts playing the beginning of She Loves You on the snare and hi-hat, my jaw always drops. Totally clueless. Thank God they were miming and not live!

All that said... awesome show. Fortunately I had an audience recording made by the guy you see crouching at the side of the stage, so I synched this up with the tv audio and with a few tricks got a nice stereo mix.
When you look carefully, you can see that Jimmy Nicol moves to the big drum to his right (as he should at the start of She Loves You), but then goes to the snare drum: probably, this is because this is in play-back, and he could not start playbacking at the exact moment the tape was started.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah but he's supposed to be playing the tom tom the whole way through the chorus!
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 am My favourite bit though is when a midget sneaks up in front of George and he and John look down and see her suddenly, and their reaction is priceless.
That is my favourite bit too. It's so funny.

BTW I missed this version of this show. Would someone be kind enough to re-up it please?
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=208
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Cheers dear:)
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
firefoxnumber6

Post by firefoxnumber6 »

Any chance of a re post of this, I missed it. Thanks you :)
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

See two posts above for link to a page on this site with a link
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

This is one of my fav TV appearances. It takes my breath away when they ask the Beatles to walk from the private area where they are being interviewed into the arena where the audience are. Imagine being there, You know the Beatles are there but out of view then you're told they are on their way through and then they appear. The audience go mental. The sound is bziarre as they are singing along to the studio versions WITH vocals but their vocals are also live so you can hear 2 vocals, the studio one and the live one. Then that last song, Can't Buy Me Love, is utter chaos. The band get swamped, at some points you can't even see Paul even though his mic is in view. You can see Derek, Mal & Neil shoving people away from the band so they can at least stand in front of their mics. They are then swept away before the song has even finished. Amazing film!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK