Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
[flabbyroad]

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Looking at this one again I'm pretty sure this is a match. They seem to have been filming through the roof on this stretch of road.
It's difficult to find an exact match in case of the landscape, but if you take a bit wider range, I guess you're right about the location. And a proof for filming of the roof: you can spot a little bit of the roof while filming Hawks Tor China Clay works and even a bit more filming at Tedburn Rd.

Then for the 'INN' location is it possible to date? Just before the leave the coach it's 14:10h? If it is on the 15th, then it's about 100km after Graddon Cross (12;18h) cruising speed approximately 50km/h and perhaps before Taunton?

In the odds and ends of the footage there seems to be a link with the 'umbrella' scene with Mal (14:30h); it's raining, and they stop at an Inn/ Pub/ Restaurant.

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

'Are we on'

It's slate 22A take 1'A' camera on 13-09-1967. When Ringo starts singing Yesterday, I think he is joking about Paul's directing. They drive along Camborne- Redruth and when you imagine Paul is directing a scene the photo it could be taken 16:45 on the A3047 near Redruth.......

fl.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Now some more serious:
The building on the opposite side of the road to Gate House (the "brick works"iirc) appears on old OS maps and seems to have the art deco curves you can see in the night time footage looking down from Gate House.

I think Uxbridge Rd Hayes spot is definitely the right one considering the building of Thomson & Norris/Wilson Bros

fl.
Last edited by [flabbyroad] on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:00 pm
Then for the 'INN' location is it possible to date? Just before the leave the coach it's 14:10h? If it is on the 15th, then it's about 100km after Graddon Cross (12;18h) cruising speed approximately 50km/h and perhaps before Taunton?

In the odds and ends of the footage there seems to be a link with the 'umbrella' scene with Mal (14:30h); it's raining, and they stop at an Inn/ Pub/ Restaurant.

fl.
Great info FL.

Looking at the Inn footage I think it's possible/probable that the 14.10 footage shot looking towards the front of the bus is another different location as there is a cut to the sideways shot from the coach door where they are entering the Inn.

I think the Mal umbrella footage is from the 12th as there is a another camera behind him filming the young couple sat in front of the old gents, which must be the footage approaching Plymouth.
tunbridge wells

Post by tunbridge wells »

"Are We On"

The bus seems to be descending fairly steeply towards what looks like a roundabout, with a car crossing it, possibly a road sign in the middle. If so, the most likely place is probably the roundabout on the old Redruth bypass here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.23904 ... 384!8i8192
Not sure what direction they would be approaching from, this side looks more like it, though the road sign would suggest the opposite.
mmt128.png
mmt128.png (354.4 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

'All Quiet on the Western Front'

Completely irrelevant: Same poster/ flyer different years and locations.

Sylvia with 'Mill' ;

I"ll tried to contact them but no reply

Or perhaps :

Well for both locations; the wish is the father of the thought.
Is there any of you on face-book? there are some 'historic/ nostalgic groups' but you have to be on face-book and I am not.( picked up the Thomson & Norris that way)

fl.
tunbridge wells

So hard to be sure - inevitably some of the recognisable background scenes will have changed and buildings been demolished / roads widened etc.
There are still some locations we haven't found yet though, such as the John Sleeping house and garden, Paul in tank top by the coach with sea behind near Watergate Bay perhaps, but where exactly?) Jolly Jimmy's preamble to "Flying" and the "not very inspiring" view itself. I suppose some will always be subject to conjecture, where there are possibilities rather than definites. At some point I'd like to actually get out to some of these locations and photograph them in person, as Google Maps often distorts images, and it's possible we may have missed some that way. A visit to the tent field would give a much better idea of where things actually took place.
tunbridge wells

Not sure if we've already had this one
mmt129.jpg
mmt129.jpg (112.77 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
mmt129a.jpg
mmt129a.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.44450 ... 384!8i8192
Impossible to get the exact same position as Google Maps haven't photographed from inside the car park but these are what remains of the buildings in the background. It's Watergate Bay for the Buster Bloodvessel / Aunt Jessie beach scene. The gabled house was behind the wooden fence on the left. The only remaining building is the shop with WAX written on its front, which is just above Paul's head in the original photo.
Everyone's gone quiet - hope this thread hasn't fizzled out
tunbridge wells

I also found this one from the tent field day, which I'd never seen before
mmt130.jpg
mmt130.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
mmt130a.jpg
mmt130a.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.4357, ... 384!8i8192
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Not sure if we've already had this one
it wasn't discussed here but a know place:

and you're right only 'wax' is still standing but on the left...

Then is it possible to date the concrete 'watchman radar tower' ? It matches nice with the 1967 picture but was it already there? Seems some debate and I thought it was build later but I only could find this:

fl.