Which Beatles recording would you leave to posterity?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
beatlesondvd

Re: Which Beatles recording would you leave to posterity?

Post by beatlesondvd »

Tomorrow Never Knows. That track is still mesmerizing, years on.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Mine would be I am the Walrus. Even nowadays the song sounds like it's been beamed in from Mars so God knows what it would have sounded like had you been fortunate enough to hear it as a new release in 1967.

I originally heard it for the 1st time around 1983 when I bought a green sleeved 7 inch single (with a pic from the SFF video shoot on the back). A 1976 reissue sleeve I think? I was 12 or 13 years old and I listened to it over and over again on headhphones on my Dad's stereo trying to hear everything in the song. I had to stop once my ears had got so hot they'd gone bright red and hurt. I love it. It's mental!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

beatlesondvd wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:07 pm Tomorrow Never Knows. That track is still mesmerizing, years on.
I'd have to agree with this. History will simplify the Beatles phenomenon into 'early' & 'late' periods, the split being at the end of touring in 1966. This song more than any other represents the split. Recorded while they were still the touring 'moptops, and the last song on Revolver, for me it was the Beatles saying to the world ...... "This changes everything".
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:21 pm Mine would be I am the Walrus. Even nowadays the song sounds like it's been beamed in from Mars so God knows what it would have sounded like had you been fortunate enough to hear it as a new release in 1967.

I originally heard it for the 1st time around 1983 when I bought a green sleeved 7 inch single (with a pic from the SFF video shoot on the back). A 1976 reissue sleeve I think? I was 12 or 13 years old and I listened to it over and over again on headhphones on my Dad's stereo trying to hear everything in the song. I had to stop once my ears had got so hot they'd gone bright red and hurt. I love it. It's mental!
There's a great video of some kids listening to The Beatles on youtube, and one kid's reaction to IATW is priceless. Talk about a double-take.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ExDalek

Post by ExDalek »

With Lord R's description of what is about to happen, "Across the universe" would be ironic, for the title and lyric "nothing's gonna change my world".. :lol: . Also "It won't be long" and "Here comes the Sun".
But my serious answer is "A day in the life" as many have said already.
“I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course, I don’t really remember yesterday all that well.”
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Joke answer: Carnival of Light. (So at least someone might get to hear it one day.)

Serious answer: Strawberry Fields Forever. (It was one of two Beatles singles in my parents record collection that I played a lot when I was a kid.)
Mollusk

Post by Mollusk »

With A Little Help From My Friends. It might show future civilizations that come upon it and give them an image of familiarity and friendship as opposed to an image of distrust and hate.
hogshead of hellfire

Post by hogshead of hellfire »

Well, the closest real-life instance to this (actually) having happened was: the Capitol AHDN single placed in the 1964/1965 New York World's Fair Time Capsule (to be opened 5000 YEARS LATER :o ).
Attachments
Screenshot_20210831-203650~2.png
Screenshot_20210831-203650~2.png (222.27 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
Screenshot_20210831-203739~2.png
Screenshot_20210831-203739~2.png (562.16 KiB) Viewed 1748 times