Mach Schau - new book at www.apcor.net

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
BDJ

Re: Mach Schau - new book at www.apcor.net

Post by BDJ »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:03 pm My copy has just arrived and it looks immense! Amazing how, even on a 1st cursory flick through, I've spotted a photo I've never seen before from 1962. Looking forward to making my way through it all.
Is there any reason to believe that the Beatles wore pink jackets in Hamburg?
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

BDJ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 am Is there any reason to believe that the Beatles wore pink jackets in Hamburg?
They're purple!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

So when other people bought this, did you get tracking information after the book shipped? Or did other people get the "shipment not found" message too?

I expected that after paying 40 euros for postage it would reach me within a few days and not just go into limbo. I hope I haven't thrown nearly 200 knicker down the shitter here.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I didn't get any tracking information at all. I got an email when I bought it, then a follow up to say the books had been delivered early but no tracking info.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
the57thbeatle

Post by the57thbeatle »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am So when other people bought this, did you get tracking information after the book shipped? Or did other people get the "shipment not found" message too?

I expected that after paying 40 euros for postage it would reach me within a few days and not just go into limbo. I hope I haven't thrown nearly 200 knicker down the shitter here.
Tracking info is being sent through the PayPal system with every order, so every customer does get his tracking info. The problem with the Dutch courier, PostNL, is that their tracking system is not functioning properly so that not all parcels to the US, Canada and Australia can be traced (not our fault). Everyone who bought the book, however, is still able to trace it using the international tracking number (this starts with a C) which you can find if you try to trace your parcel on the PostNL website and entering that in the appropriate (US, Canadian or Australian) courier website. This will tell you exactly where it is. We've tried explaining that in a Newsletter mailed out yesterday, but apparently some people still don't understand how.

And every customer paid the exact amount we are being charged for postage, so there is nothing we can do about the 40 Euros for shipping. We are not Amazon who can make deals with most countries about cheap shipping.

And don't forget that worldwide shipping is still delayed because of the pandemic.

Hope this helps.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

the57thbeatle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:35 am Everyone who bought the book, however, is still able to trace it using the international tracking number (this starts with a C) which you can find if you try to trace your parcel on the PostNL website and entering that in the appropriate (US, Canadian or Australian) courier website. This will tell you exactly where it is.
That is the number I am using. It just always says "Shipment not found".
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Okay I've just been sent a different tracking link and this one seems to work. The book is still in Amsterdam but at least I know where it is now. Looking forward to reading it when it arrives!
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm That is the number I am using. It just always says "Shipment not found".
As The 57th Beatle already mentioned, PostNL has the domestic and the international tracking systems which are separate. Google "PostNL" + "international tracking" for the correct one.
the57thbeatle wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:35 am Everyone who bought the book, however, is still able to trace it using the international tracking number (this starts with a C) which you can find if you try to trace your parcel on the PostNL website and entering that in the appropriate (US, Canadian or Australian) courier website. This will tell you exactly where it is.
I've received the international tracking number, though not to North America or Australia (to Germany), and it started with a number.
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

Thorsten - I've been reading my copy over the last couple of days, savouring every detail and every picture. It really is an amazing piece of work. Can I just ask though - when some of the pictures say "Reconstructed", what do you mean? You mention it in the intro but I was wondering to what extent you've had to play around with these images. For instance, Stu's letter starting on page 92 looks as though it has been photocopied or scanned but it says "Reconstructed". Is it just a case of 'sharpening' the images (which may have faded over time) or have you had to do something more fundamental to them? Thanks
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Simon - I am glad you like it.

I had very poor photocopies of the Stuart letter and the Williams / Koschmider contract. They were black and white and the letterhead was only in parts there (possibly they even might have been photos of the bad photocopies).

So I cut out the writing and inserted them into a blanc letterhead that I reconstructed many years ago or i used parts of the Koschmider logo to reconstruct the missing parts. But I put them exactly at the right spot where they were on the original. In addition I colourised the handwriting (or the logo) I also did some restauration when several type writer letters weren't acutally there anymore because of the poor quality of the source.

I wasnt able to reconstruct the My Bonnie session related document - but on all other documents I did the best to made them look good - and I think the result speaks for itself.

There is nothing faked - it is just a historical accurate restauration that it is stated when i had to do so.

thorsten
Last edited by georgefromhenley on Sun May 09, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.