Audacity now considered spyware

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: Audacity now considered spyware

Post by Lord Reith »

mojofilter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:04 am Yes, those are the ones. The file description says "Provided to YouTube by Zebralution GmbH." They have higher frequencies than the sound on other videos uploaded by members of the public. That it was streaming audio was mansplained to me on a board that I no longer belong to.
Okay. I don't know what the upper limit is but all youtube audio is 128kb/s aac, including the HD videos. But they are encoding from lossless masters so better quality than most people who make videos using mp3s or other videos previously posted.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Here's the spectral view of the audio of one of these videos supplied by the label, e.g. Universal, recorded in Audacity while playing.

Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

mojofilter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:21 am Here's the spectral view of the audio of one of these videos supplied by the label, e.g. Universal, recorded in Audacity while playing.

Yes, those label videos are 44.1k so they should go right up to 22khz.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

If you take a close look at the top, there's a hard cutoff at 20k, like there's even more of it that could be there if the format allowed it. However, it is still lossy. If you record a mono song on two tracks where they haven't summed the channels beforehand, and it's any degree of out of phase, and OOPS it, you still get that burbly electronic sound that's always at -180 degrees on that type of recording. Those, I correct the phase, sum, and convert to one channel, and segregate from the lossless files. It's certainly all right for audition purposes.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

That's why I always look at the these youtube downloaders that offer WAV or FLAC or any lossless audio and think who's leg are you pulling.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Do youtube premium services offer higher quality audio?

On youtube audio, I often hear strange noises in one channel (usually the left) that resemble faint whispering.

It's one of my pet peeves that audio always gets the short straw when it comes to assigning bitrate. I've seen videos with ridiculously high bitrates, and yet the audio is 64kb/s!!! Making the audio at least 384kb/s would make the size of the file 0.01% bigger. It's just insane.

Fortunately some streaming sites like the BBC appreciate this, and include 320kb/s audio in their tv streams. But elsewhere 99% of the time, even when the video is HD, the audio is 96 or 128k.
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

Youtube also supports Opus audio in 160k, it is better than AAC 128k, imo.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:37 am Do youtube premium services offer higher quality audio?

On youtube audio, I often hear strange noises in one channel (usually the left) that resemble faint whispering.

It's one of my pet peeves that audio always gets the short straw when it comes to assigning bitrate. I've seen videos with ridiculously high bitrates, and yet the audio is 64kb/s!!! Making the audio at least 384kb/s would make the size of the file 0.01% bigger. It's just insane.

Fortunately some streaming sites like the BBC appreciate this, and include 320kb/s audio in their tv streams. But elsewhere 99% of the time, even when the video is HD, the audio is 96 or 128k.
Same issue with some dvd rips that get shared online. Audio of the original dvd is most often PCM but the rips are nearly always mp3 and low bit rate ones at that.