Abbey Road Lectures

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
DrRobert

Abbey Road Lectures

Post by DrRobert »

I see there is another few lectures coming up from the team behind Recording The Beatles. Anybody been? Seems a bit steep for a couple of hours (£150!)

Would love to get into studio 2 though!
Nimbus

Re: Abbey Road Lectures

Post by Nimbus »

I went to one of these about 10 years ago (£80 back then). It was my 2nd time in Abbey Road, the first being for the 1983 roadshows. It's well worth a visit if you've never been before. The lecture was ok, nothing groundbreaking but to be in that place is enough. For me, it's my equivalent of the Sistine Chapel. I took an MP3 player with a few of my favourite bootleg/outtake/studio chat tracks on it and put in the earphones and closed my eyes. Wow ! Another bonus was that Lizzie Bravo was in the audience that day. I got to meet someone who had performed on a Beatles recording. How cool was that ?
Do it - you may never get the chance again.

[EDIT] PS. I'd pay good money to see a Mark Lewisohn show in Abbey Road. Now that would be a thing !
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Wasn't that the one where they played one side of the twin-track backing tape to Sie Liebt Dich and claimed that it was a demixed separation of the guitar in She Loves You? :lol:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
DrRobert

Post by DrRobert »

I forgot to post about this - I took a last minute gamble on it on and went on the 5th.

Never been inside so it was well worth it for just being there, seeing the gear and just listening to the sound of the room.

The lecture was good, nothing groundbreaking and nothing you wouldn't really know, although I wasn't aware the Yer Blues closet was next to the control room.

Highlight was getting to play the Mrs Mills with a few other people on the Challen to recreate the Day In The Life Chord.

It's worth it if you've never been in the room.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Just been there... 2nd time... the first one must be 8 years ago.

The show was a bit different from the previous one. The first was more based on the equipment used in the studio, more demos (if memory don´t let me down), this time a focus on the difference of sound between Studios 1, 2 and 3. This time we had the opportunity to visit the control room and the echo chamber. There were also staff on hand to reply to questions.

If you never had the opportunity to enter the sanctuary, it is a no brainer.

The major let down was that Ken Townsend was present but they did not take the opportunity to include him in the show. A real pity.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

More popular than a wailing wall?
Next question...
They shouldn't allow anyone in there!
For a handful of rice?
(I'm jealous!)
Dakota shmuckota
THIS is the REAL real estate!
Closer! Do you promise not to tell!?!?
Montana Sacra...Say the words you long to hear
Mi alma es tu alma!
Chido chido
Chevere
Solito me dejo!
KC
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

To think that it cost the equivalent of around £16 in today's money (£4.50 back then) to visit Abbey Road Studios in 1983, see the instruments and watch the video presentation.

Now it's £150 and you don't even get to hear any out-takes! :roll:
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

we have to do with the available options and prices ... In 1983 the studios were still part of EMI which has now disappeared, and the studios themselves almost followed suit :o So, we are still fortunate to have that holly place and to be able to visit it from time to time.

First time they played a Donovan song to show the difference between dry and echoed recording, this time a Beatle song, but instead of three plays - dry / echo / combined - they played it twice - dry / combined - only.

I was shocked to learn that Paul's birth place has been demolished to make room for a supermarket and flats. Why didn't they convert the building to flats like they did with John's ? At least when they demolished the Cavern, they still could pretend they did not know at the time the lasting legacy that the Beatles would have.
DrRobert

Post by DrRobert »

Also they said they were working on their next book which is a reproduction of all of George Martin's scores in folio format.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Book Of Acts?
More popular than Popularity!
(Prevention
not cure
prevention
not cure)
Should anything I say be emphasized let it be the following:
Though no amount of money
can bring back the hour of
splendor in the grass...
glory in the flower....
we will grieve not.
But rather, find strength and common sense
in what* remains behind!
(*)Nor will such sacred sites be defaced!
This means No.3 Abbey Road and its adjacent zebra crosswalk.
(See Footnotes: Easement, shoulder, frontage)
Peace friends
KC

Edit: 2 PDFs re: Abbey Road's history. (Brian Southall's book + overview of recent remodelling hxxps://we.tl/t-trnKAMfGHU) 14MB