Patsy Gallant - Save The Last Dance For Me / Don't Let Me Down

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
mojofilter

Patsy Gallant - Save The Last Dance For Me / Don't Let Me Down

Post by mojofilter »

I remember hearing this record on the radio a couple of times in early 1974. Even then I was familiar with the "Get Back" bootleg, and was surprised and happy that a recording artist was, too. Patsy is from Montreal, and she made some pop records and then became a disco queen in that era. Someone on YouTube has posted the whole "Power" album that has her single on it. It spent one week on the RPM 100 chart at #97 in Feb '74. Here's a link that takes you to the time where the song begins.

C4-4041.jpg
C4-4041.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
BDJ

Re: Patsy Gallant - Save The Last Dance For Me / Don't Let Me Down

Post by BDJ »

Possibly, Patsy heard this in the Let It Be movie?
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Wow what a find. I never kew that she recorded some Beatles cover, especially one that only appeared on bootlegs. I guess the record producer had a copy of the O.P.D. bootleg (and not Get Back From Toronto) to get that pacing. Unless it was picked up from the Let It Be movie but it's been so long since I saw it that I wouldn't bet on the latter.

Just for history Patsy is from New Brunswick in the Acadie part of it. She had a group with her sisters "Les Soeurs Gallant" (literally "The Gallant Sisters") but she sticked out very soon in their career. I remember seeing them in the summer of 1967 on the set of the recording of "Jeunesse Oblige" on Radio-Canada (the french CBC) After her disco period she moved to Paris to star in the Luc Plamondon and Michel Berger's Starmania. She's still kicking ass once in a while on TV and she lives in Montréal.
Yves
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

That's pretty WILD to hear! Exactly from previous comments - the producer and/or singer had to have heard a boot of a Get Back album compilation to record this.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

probably like Big Star and One After 909 (they heard and probably had the bootleg), someone around Patsy Gallant got the Get Back bootleg with the suite Save The Last Dance For Me/Get Back; hence the intriguing suite here on Patsy Gallant's album. I think that this bootleg was not that hard to find with this version.
Regarding the arrangement that's far to the Get Back sound (contrary to the producer of Olivia Newton John who almost record her single "What Is Life" like it was a backing track from All Things Must Pass) but that was a cover of a song already released officially.
Don't forget that John and Harry Nilsson recorded Pussy Cats "Save The Last Dance For Me", Lennon turning it into a funeral dirge; such a contrast with the crystal voice on Harry's first studio demo (and the other one with a mellotron (?). I don't have the exact release date of "Pussy Cats" but it's 1974 too.
Carole Laure also covered Save The Last Dance For Me a few decades later; a nice one.

Well I would be highly interested in a needledrop in FLAC of the complete album if someone can get in touch with this youtube account.

you have some nice arrangement near the end of her medley Save The Last Dance For Me/Don't Let Me Down which reminds me "Duet On Mon Dei".
The following song reminds me Michel Berger's piano style.
To speak frankly, I think that all his fast piano songs (La groupie du pianiste, Celui qui chante..etc..) were based around the same piano-lick; the Bennie and the Jets Elton John influence is obvious, and Whatever Gets You Thru The Night. And every time I listen to his music or what he recorded for France Gall (like "Musique") the bass arrangement makes me always think of the bass and mood/atmosphere of "Midnight On The Bay" ("Long May You Run" album) Stills–Young Band.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

I've been looking at 'Save the Last Dance for Me', and what was released/bootlegged in 1974.

- It doesn't seem to appear in the Let It Be film
- It doesn't feature in the Kum Back bootleg (1970)
- It doesn't feature on Sweet Apple Trax (1974)

I don't know of any other bootlegs of the Get Back sessions that were released at the time Patsy recorded her version. Anyone?

The medley Save the Last Dance for Me/Don't Let Me Down is included in the Glyn Johns mixes of Let It Be, but I don't think these were bootlegged then. However, some were played on radio stations in Canada and the US. So, I suppose someone in Patsy entourage heard the Glyn Johns mixes on the radio.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Two places she could have heard it prior to late 1973 are on the WKBW Broadcast in August 1969 and any records made from that, and on O.P.D. (1970). That seems to have been about it. The medley wasn't on the WBCN broadcast or any of the one-channel boots made from that, so it's pretty much narrowed down to two places available at the time. I don't have it showing up on other boots until well after Patsy's album was released. Anyone else have any ideas?
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:40 pm Two places she could have heard it prior to late 1973 are on the WKBW Broadcast in August 1969 and any records made from that, and on O.P.D. (1970). That seems to have been about it. The medley wasn't on the WBCN broadcast or any of the one-channel boots made from that, so it's pretty much narrowed down to two places available at the time. I don't have it showing up on other boots until well after Patsy's album was released. Anyone else have any ideas?
My guess is the O.P.D. bootleg that could be found here in Montréal. I bought it pretty much at the same time than I bought Get Back To Toronto.
Yves
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Nice find! Here is a better source for this particular song (mp3):

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1YZwTMxw8bG8mr8SkeuXI3RasRCIZiaBH/view?usp=share_link
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Patsy Gallant had a hit with 'From New York to LA. The music was published by Dick James, who also publised the music of the Beatles. Coincidence?