Rolling Stone issues: 1972

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Ziggy C

Re: Rolling Stone 1960's issues

Post by Ziggy C »

Thanks for these! What a romp down memory lane! In that first issue, a brief blurb on the completion of MMT and the TV Special to be broadcast at Christmas time. Scathing negative reviews of both Fresh Cream and Are You Experienced in the same article. Jimi's album ultimately summed up as musical violence. Clapton's contributions to Fresh Cream described as Boring. The whole financial debacle in the aftermath of Monterey Pop. The ever-present unease in the forced symbiosis between Hollywood and Haight. That Adler, Phillips and Company bailed the US right after the concert and left their lackeys to clean up the mess.

Great stuff!!

I know this takes time to deal with. I'm hoping you make the effort to post a bit more in this vein.

Thanks again!,
Z
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

BeatlesInMyLife wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:19 pm
Mr Bump wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm
BeatlesInMyLife wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:23 pm I've been looking for a pdf september 20th issue since a very long time.
Thank you so much!!!

BIML
If it's the review of the Get Back album which interests you, I think it's safe to say it was a re-write of the article Mal Evans wrote for Beatles Monthly. I'm not sure the Rolling Stone reviewer had actually heard the tapes - he uses the same phrases and makes the same points as Mal. Still a bit of history though, seeing it reviewed like this.
Maybe, but the unknown author of this review was David Dalton, who also wrote (with Jonathan Cott) the Get Back Book. He told some years ago that he wrote the article after listening to the material in the Apple Offices.
I guess that's possible but there's no doubt he had a copy of Mal's article to base his review on. There are many examples of him using essentially the same words, eg:

Mal on Dig A Pony: In gist the line is that you can do anything you want to do so long as you set your mind to it.
Rolling Stone: The theme: You can do anything you want to do so long as you put your mind to it.

Mal on Teddy Boy: We all need someone to turn to - that's the message. We need people.
Rolling Stone: The message: We all need someone to turn to. All you need is people.

Mal on Long And Winding Road: About the girl who left him standing there all along and the many times he's cried. But "you'll never know the ways I've tried."
Rolling Stone: Here he is, singing to a girl who has left him standing, crying: "You'll never know the ways I've tried."

Note on that last example how Mal made a mistake and missed out the word "many" from the lyric he quoted ... so does the Rolling Stone article, all but proving it's a copy.

Mal's article, by the way was printed in July 1969. This edition of RS (according to page 4) was printed August 27.
BeatlesInMyLife

Post by BeatlesInMyLife »

Mr Bump wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm
I guess that's possible but there's no doubt he had a copy of Mal's article to base his review on. There are many examples of him using essentially the same words, eg:

Mal on Dig A Pony: In gist the line is that you can do anything you want to do so long as you set your mind to it.
Rolling Stone: The theme: You can do anything you want to do so long as you put your mind to it.

Mal on Teddy Boy: We all need someone to turn to - that's the message. We need people.
Rolling Stone: The message: We all need someone to turn to. All you need is people.

Mal on Long And Winding Road: About the girl who left him standing there all along and the many times he's cried. But "you'll never know the ways I've tried."
Rolling Stone: Here he is, singing to a girl who has left him standing, crying: "You'll never know the ways I've tried."

Note on that last example how Mal made a mistake and missed out the word "many" from the lyric he quoted ... so does the Rolling Stone article, all but proving it's a copy.

Mal's article, by the way was printed in July 1969. This edition of RS (according to page 4) was printed August 27.
Interesting. And now I have both versions so I can compare. Thank you.
Beatles In My Life
MorseMoose

Post by MorseMoose »

Prediction: Next batch will be out either Thursday or Friday (6th or 7th of April).
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

I love to see PDF's of Gerry & The Pacemakers & other related Books, like the Beatles & Stones Books

Epecially NEMS artists
MorseMoose

Rolling Stone issues: 1970-1971

Post by MorseMoose »

Here is the next instalment of Rolling Stone issues, spanning 1970 through the end of 1971, issues 50-98.

hXXps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Lm4Wj1F0zI_RMC1CNt5az1TFa9F4bmAD?usp=sharing

XX=tt
Mrbeatleg

Re: Rolling Stone issues: 1970-1971

Post by Mrbeatleg »

nice thanks Morse
Davenicks

Re: Rolling Stone issues: 1970-1971

Post by Davenicks »

How confident are we that Mal actually wrote the materials that appeared in the Beatles Book under his Name?

Dave in Nashville
MorseMoose

Rolling Stone issues: 1972

Post by MorseMoose »

Here's the issues from 1972:

hXXps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RBujU1-ql1Q0lwfqA_dUhYzuSAK6VfNp?usp=sharing
XX=tt
mcp

Re: Rolling Stone issues: 1972

Post by mcp »

These are awesome. Thanks for sharing.