Lost Beatles covers you would most love to hear

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: Lost Beatles covers you would most love to hear

Post by Lord Reith »

Pete probably would have done well as a solo singer (assuming he could sing... or not, given the likes of Fabian) as he had that moody look that was all the rage at the time. It seems strange for someone like that to be on drums.

Actually, I've been thinking lately that we've all been a bit hard on Pete. At the time of the Decca audition he'd only been playing drums for 18 months! He was basically a beginner or halfway through Grade 2. In light of that, he actually did pretty well. Ringo and the others had been playing a lot longer. It was just a shame he didn't understand that he was a temp and was always going to get the boot.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Bianju wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:29 am Wow, that's a bizarre idea. Is there any knowledge what songs he did as their vocalist?
He did one called Pinwheel Twist, which I seem to recall was a Lennon-McCartney composition.
Note that George is playing Paul's left-handed bass right-side-up. Paul is on drums.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:41 am
Bianju wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:29 am Wow, that's a bizarre idea. Is there any knowledge what songs he did as their vocalist?
He did one called Pinwheel Twist, which I seem to recall was a Lennon-McCartney composition.
Note that George is playing Paul's left-handed bass right-side-up. Paul is on drums.
I think you mean "Peppermint Twist". Pinwheel Twist was one of Paul's that Paul sang.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
tymime

Post by tymime »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 pm Actually, I've been thinking lately that we've all been a bit hard on Pete. At the time of the Decca audition he'd only been playing drums for 18 months! He was basically a beginner or halfway through Grade 2. In light of that, he actually did pretty well. Ringo and the others had been playing a lot longer. It was just a shame he didn't understand that he was a temp and was always going to get the boot.
I think Pete's drumming is very good on the Sheridan recordings. The Decca audition is quite good too, and later on on his recordings for The Pete Best Band the drums are also handled competently.
But clearly something was going wrong during the EMI audition as we all know. I sometimes wonder if maybe Pete was nervous that day and that threw him off.