YouTube with 5.1 Surround Sound!

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Mixerrog

YouTube with 5.1 Surround Sound!

Post by Mixerrog »

YouTube actually started offering this quietly a few months ago I just found out yesterday so I have started my own 5.1 channel at https://www.youtube.com/@mixerrog5.1/videos

The biggest issue with this is getting the songs to play correctly in 5.1 surround sound. As far as I know, they will only play from a computer in a kind of mixed down stereo with a lower -10 or so level compared to regular YouTube sound levels. This happens for some reason during the upload process when YouTube converts the surround file to a special Digital Dolby type of file.

To get the songs to play on my new channel in true 5.1 sound, you will need a newer Ruku, Apple TV or Firestick set for 5.1 output with a HDMI connection to a newer 5.1 Receiver. My first video listed is a 5.1 noise test one that you can play to make sure your playback is correct. The HDMI out of the box of your choice must go directly to your HDMI 5.1 receiver first before going on to the your TV's HDMI input from the receiver.

It is also important to check your surround receiver to set it to NOT pass audio down the HDMI line to your TV if this can be done (my Sony could turn this off) as HDMI will detect the TV to be only stereo so revert back to stereo. Sometimes you can shutoff TV speakers to correct that issue also if you can not shut off HDMI audio to the TV.

I just started the channel this morning & have six 5.1 songs on it now + the first video being the 5.1 noise test file with description below the blank video. I plan on adding many more surround songs each day.

As I said the audio level will be low but should have very good separations. The 5.1 bit rate is 384 kbs of the latest Digital Dolby so pretty good sounding actually (not 5.1 flac quality but YouTube's regular stereo is 128kbs AAC so not flac quality either).

Please let me know how it sounds to you & I will try answering any questions if possible.

Enjoy, Rog
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: YouTube with 5.1 Surround Sound!

Post by WilliamShears »

Thanks Rog I didn’t realize YouTube started outputting surround sound. I just got my 7.2.2 atmos setup and am curious if you know if yt will output atmos anytime soon. Looking forward or listening to your channels mixes!
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

Interesting news on this, regarding youtube :mrgreen:
Mixerrog

Post by Mixerrog »

WS,

They might already be providing Atmos. I don't yet have a Atmos receiver so try this file by Dolby at
YouTube is sending out my 5.1 mixes at a lower 384k bit rate which Atmos is also listed on the Dolby site as a Atmos supported bit rate so maybe it can also be sent out. The quality of my 5.1 mixes is still pretty good I have found even thought a much lower bit rate than I send them (mkv full flac 5.1 files). The main issue I am finding is a greatly reduced volume by YouTube for some reason on all the surround supplied files.

Rog