Lord Wreath's Christmas thread

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
georgefromhenley

Re: Lord Wreath's Christmas thread

Post by georgefromhenley »

Actually just the new Revolver "Comic" book published by Klaus Voormann this month. In addition I got several things I hadnt done before signed by Jürgen Vollmer as the White Album poster and the "World wont listen" LP by the Smiths.

(BTW if anybody wants a Rock n Roll LP signed by Jürgen from you Xmas money - drop me a line - I have a few for sale for 200 €)
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I gifted myself The McCartney Legacy: Volume 1: 1969 – 73 by Adrian Sinclair and Allan Kozinn. It arrived today. I have WAY too many Beatle books in progress so hopefully I’ll allow myself to get a few finished over the holidays before diving in, but honestly, how likely am I to wait? Not likely.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

One of my favourite things about the Christmasses and birthdays of old was the Beatles presents. There was always some book or album I really wanted. At first it was just a matter of getting all the UK albums (which i couldn't afford to buy as a kid) and the odd (rarely seen) Beatles book, but after John's passing there was such a flood of Beatle books that it was impossible to keep up. But I can remember being very excited about getting Neville Stannard's discography, which had a lot of detail (sometimes wrong yes) about teh recordings but more excitingly had sections on Bootlegs and the BBC recordings. This was the first time I had ever seen those two subjects dealt with. I also got "An Illustrated Record" which is still one of the great Beatle books, Beatles Forever (likewise) and Hunter Davies' bio. A lot of happy reading there.

Even years later as an adult I was still getting Beatles presents. By this time it was Anthology dvds and Love. My family never had any problem buying me presents!

These days with the spirit of Christmas almost vanished in my own country, I look back with great fondness and longing for those festive occasions long ago. The Beatles and Christmas have always been interwoven for me. This Christmas I will listen to the Star Club tapes and imagine those cold nights exactly 60 years ago when four little known guys gave their final farewell performances to an unsuspecting Hamburg audience. And I'll listen to their Christmas BBC broadcasts, and one or two of their flexis. And play once again Revolver which I got along with the White Album for Christmas in maybe '80 or '81.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

The best, and I think, the earliest Beatles related Christmas present I received was back in '76 or '77. A little book by Ron Schaumburg called, "Growing Up With The Beatles." I loved that book. Read it over and over. I also recall getting Beatles '65 for Christmas that same year.

The Beatles Christmas discs, in the late 70's, were something I first read about in Ron's book. I heard them for the first time in the early 80's as they became more readily available through Beatlefest and hardcore Beatle fans. I take the time each year to be sure they are in my playlist so I can relive them. Amazingly, they didn't receive an official release until 2017, and then only a limited release, probably to extend the copyright.

As for the Get Back schlog. I have watched the first two parts. Seriously, it is a long haul, Peter Jackson style. For me, it doesn't make those times any more rosy. It was, "The winter of our discontent." And pretty much all the music in those sessions has the energy of a drained Energizer bunny. The only high points, and those are minimal, come when Billy Preston is at the keys. And the best moment for me so far is watching as Paul channels his muse and writes Get Back on camera. Just sitting plucking at his bass. And boom, there's the song. But the other 5 hours I've seen so far are like sitting through a boring faded-color educational film at school, and watching the clock to see if it's time to go home yet.
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

Revolver SDE for me.
My best ever sort of Beatles related Christmas present was a Rickenbacker 350 "Liverpool" in Jetglo and a Vox Python guitar strap.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

IFeelFine wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:30 pm.
My best ever sort of Beatles related Christmas present was a Rickenbacker 350 "Liverpool" in Jetglo and a Vox Python guitar strap.
Bloody heck!
ExDalek

Post by ExDalek »

I am getting the revolver sde for Christmas, so I haven't heard it yet. Also getting the E.P. cd collection and the John Lennon box of vision. My wife is awesome and that is why we celebrated 30 years of marriage this year. :)
“I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course, I don’t really remember yesterday all that well.”
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:20 am
IFeelFine wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:30 pm.
Bloody heck!
I had wanted a 325 or similar all my adult life and had reached 50 years of age in the year I got it, so my wife splashed out following a red wine fuelled conversation one evening.
Don't play it so much these days due to arthritis in my hands.
My wife bought them for me.
To get the strap, she got my daughter to get her friend in the US to source it and ship it over. It was impossible to get one in the UK.
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:10 am One of my favourite things about the Christmasses and birthdays of old was the Beatles presents. There was always some book or album I really wanted. At first it was just a matter of getting all the UK albums (which i couldn't afford to buy as a kid) and the odd (rarely seen) Beatles book, but after John's passing there was such a flood of Beatle books that it was impossible to keep up. But I can remember being very excited about getting Neville Stannard's discography, which had a lot of detail (sometimes wrong yes) about teh recordings but more excitingly had sections on Bootlegs and the BBC recordings. This was the first time I had ever seen those two subjects dealt with.
:o I've long been a HUGE fan of Neville Stannard's books, published here in the States in the early 1980s by Avon Books. My copy of "The Long & Winding Road: A History of The Beatles on Record" is well-worn and I still refer back to it often. That book is only "volume 1" in Avon's four book series of Beatles books. The second one is Stannard & Tobler's "Working Class Heroes: The History of The Beatles' Solo Recordings". The last two are Bill Harry's "Paperback Writers: The History of The Beatles in Print" and "Beatlemania: The History of The Beatles on Film". I have all of them, but I the Bill Harry books look almost new-ish, since they became obsolete so quickly back in the 80's.

But I digress... In answer to your question, I bought the Revolver Deluxe CD set when it was released and only opened the box to check that it wasn't damaged and taped it back up again. :lol: It goes under The Tree next weekend. 8-)

Oh, and also a Blu-ray of The Girl Can't Help It that I've been waiting to open for some reason... :oops:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Vee-Jay wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 pm:o I've long been a HUGE fan of Neville Stannard's books, published here in the States in the early 1980s by Avon Books. My copy of "The Long & Winding Road: A History of The Beatles on Record" is well-worn and I still refer back to it often. That book is only "volume 1" in Avon's four book series of Beatles books. The second one is Stannard & Tobler's "Working Class Heroes: The History of The Beatles' Solo Recordings". The last two are Bill Harry's "Paperback Writers: The History of The Beatles in Print" and "Beatlemania: The History of The Beatles on Film". I have all of them, but I the Bill Harry books look almost new-ish, since they became obsolete so quickly back in the 80's.
There was a flood of discographies at that time but Neville's was by far the best. There was a really bad one the title of which escapes me but it started with the Decca tapes boot as if it were their first album! :roll: I ended up throwing that book out in disgust because it was so full of bad info. I can clearly recall that it listed the performers on each song, and for Not A Second Time it listed "George Harrison: Not Present" and ""Paul McCartney: Not Present" :shock: As if John and Ringo recorded it by themselves!
But I digress... In answer to your question, I bought the Revolver Deluxe CD set when it was released and only opened the box to check that it wasn't damaged and taped it back up again. :lol: It goes under The Tree next weekend. 8-)
Wow.. restraint! You'll have a great Christmas day that's for sure!
Oh, and also a Blu-ray of The Girl Can't Help It that I've been waiting to open for some reason... :oops:
Filthy swine! Got a link...?