So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
MarkRJones1970

Re: So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I still want to hear this Cavern tape Paul has. They've worked out what songs are being played so it must be partially listenable for them to be able to do that. At least put out one song and say "Look, THIS is why we can't issue the whole thing, but here's 1 track so you can hear how bad it is".

It's the only known surviving Cavern gig that we know about. I'm sure however bad it sounds it would still be interesting to hear.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

I buy the SDE sets only for the sessions discs, so more of those is my wish. Also demos from the era. I am pretty sure Paul still has them. No reason to throw them in the dustbin. But I have no illusions that it won´t happen. We will only get a few extras each time.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

This blight has existed since April 1970. That is when the group lost the Beatles-Instincts that had graced their efforts since 1962. Those instincts have never been more conspicuous than in their absence. Since 1970, the entire Beatles realm has been devoid of Beatles-Instinct. George Martin didn't have it. Giles doesn't have it. The solo work doesn't have it! Very few people have such attributes about their own logic. But...there are a few individuals that do. Some of them happen to be members of this forum. I will not try to specify such distinction. The best hopes for change are right here. To put some of them on payroll would be the smartest thing that Apple could do.
The Beatles catalog might be the center of existence. It might be the Mother of everything!
It doesn't matter what it was. What matters is what it can become.
Everything leads back to The Beatles!
Thank you!
KC
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Since they only seem to release one major product per year, I’d like them to continue with the SDE to complete all the albums. Then they could venture into the other projects like the live anthology set or pre-PPM materials. The rest of the BBC materials as well as the complete Get Back materials could be a digital release.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

quigatolah wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:54 pm
I'd love an upgraded, expanded Anthology. Don't think I'll ever see it.
I think what the Beatles' public tends to want has moved on. Back in those days people were happy with albums of outtakes from here, there and everywhere, but now (thanks, I guess to the internet), we generally want more depth than breadth. So instead of five Decca tracks, most fans now want the whole set. Ditto, say. the Kinfauns demos - it's nice to have some on Anthology, but we need it all together in one place.

I'm not sure I would buy an Anthology-style album these days, unless it had something really impressive on it. But the whole rootop gig on one disc - yes. Or the whole Please Please Me album session - yes.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ksantus wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:59 pm - Why haven't we heard the entire "Step Inside Love" demo from Paul now that it has surfaced?
Which demo is that?
- What happened to all the video/audio footage that Ron Howard aquired for the "Eight Days A Week" project?
It went into a big cupboard with a sign "Never To Be Seen Or Heard Again"?
billylentz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:09 pm While of course I wanted more, I don´t see the music industry investing too much on large scale projects. They hold it all for decades, and now it´s just not worth investing on it anymore.

What I see as most likely at the moment are redundant new editions on different formats, in the line of "for the first time on vinyl", "newly remixed to mono for the first time from the original studio master tapes whatever that means", "with a new previously unedited essay by Dhani Harrison", "for the first time with the original unpeeled butcher cover", that sort of thing.
Sadly I think you are probably on the money there. Granted this is a big step up from keyrings and badges, but it is now more about the packaging than the material.
fabwill wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 pm My dream Peter Jackson project would be some kind of Beatles VR that transports you to early 60s Hamburg, a bit like the Abba experience. Didn't John tell us we 'shoulda been there'? Who here wouldn't pay to see that?
Yes to this! I'd settle even just for an animated Star Club.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Devil's Advocate Here:

What a bunch of whiny babies!! My God!! We have the original releases in superb sound. We have the re-released original releases in superb sound. This is the material that was deemed by the minders of the store to be their finished product. And now that a few unreleased session, demo, outtake, and alternate mixes have leaked through the years, we have totally lost control of the audience. What the frig is going on here?!!!

We should be happy little Beatleheads listening to all the old albums.

And now here we all are pissing and moaning about all the stuff we were never supposed to hear in the first place.

Pathetic.

What I would like to hear is the resounding clang of the vault slamming shut forevermore. Enough of this guff already.

(As I said,...devil's advocate...my tongue is lodged in my cheek...and oh, what cheek.)
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I wouldn't mind SDE of Help and Rubber Soul yet. I can't see getting too much exciting from the rest of the albums besides Magical Mystery Tour,and that is looking doubtful to be one.
As far as other material, a decent 2 or 3 volume SDE box set would be great of live or BBC material, but I think a little more AI advancement would give us better stereo and less crowd noise. It's sounding great, but AI is advancing at a fast rate while still keeping costs fairly low.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:28 am Devil's Advocate Here:

What a bunch of whiny babies!! My God!! We have the original releases in superb sound. We have the re-released original releases in superb sound. This is the material that was deemed by the minders of the store to be their finished product. And now that a few unreleased session, demo, outtake, and alternate mixes have leaked through the years, we have totally lost control of the audience. What the frig is going on here?!!!

We should be happy little Beatleheads listening to all the old albums.

And now here we all are pissing and moaning about all the stuff we were never supposed to hear in the first place.

Pathetic.

What I would like to hear is the resounding clang of the vault slamming shut forevermore. Enough of this guff already.

(As I said,...devil's advocate...my tongue is lodged in my cheek...and oh, what cheek.)
Just got to ask - what are the benefits of locking tapes in vaults for half a century? Beatles were a band, now they are a legacy from bygone days.

Keep it locked up - no-one gains. Release it and everyone gains. We get to hear it, and the businesses involved get some more revenue. Win-win.

Also, there's an argument that the tapes have becomes historical documents, like imagine if there were unseen Beethoven scores. Shouldn't they be available for the sake of cultural value/scholars/people who just want to enjoy them? I would say, yes they should.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

I think their logic is to keep possibilities to their children for future income

My logic is that the core diehard fans will all be six foot under by then.