So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

Post by Lord Reith »

It looks as though it's going to be Super Deluxes all down the line for the better part of the next decade.

But are fans happy with this? Do you in fact wish that Apple would release somnething else entirely, like a live collection, or a box set of radio stuff, or an early years set or a series of blurays of TV appearances? Is there too much bias towards their EMI output?

Personally I'd prefer the latter, but I'm interested to know how others feel.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
BDJ

Re: So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

Post by BDJ »

Video/concerts: the Rooftop concert, without interruptions by interviews of policemen.
Video: editor's cut of PJ's Get Back
Audio/concerts: The complete Concert at Blokker (appears to exist in good quality somewhere)
" " : Houston concert
Early: the Please Pleae Me Tape 'saved' by Emerick
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I think what they have released is superb. We now have all the Kinfauns demos, for example, and the original Get Back LP plus tons of other goodies.

I think there's scope for better BBC coverage - I want whole shows, like a box set of the Pop Go The Beatles series. The two BBC albums, while good to have, are a bit erratic in their layout. Also, most of the non-EMI songs are on the first one.

I can't think anyone would say no to deluxe editions of the remaining albums - Rubber Soul next. Should be a cracker. My only complaint is the price, but there are ways and means :)
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I’d love it if they're release a comprehensive Pop Go the Beatles set.
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

Here's a few semi-related questions: (mostly unanserable I'm sure)

- Has anyone heard any more on the new project that Peter Jackson suggested with Ringo & Paul?
- Why haven't we heard the entire "Step Inside Love" demo from Paul now that it has surfaced?
- Why has the LP Box set gone out of stock but the LP's haven't? I have it but paid dearly for it.
- What happened to all the video/audio footage that Ron Howard aquired for the "Eight Days A Week" project?
Just some of my random thoughts. Everybody loves the new releases of old material but there surely is more.

I want it all, and I want it now . . . . oh wait, that was Queen wasn't it.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

While of course I wanted more, I don´t see the music industry investing too much on large scale projects. They hold it all for decades, and now it´s just not worth investing on it anymore.

What I see as most likely at the moment are redundant new editions on different formats, in the line of "for the first time on vinyl", "newly remixed to mono for the first time from the original studio master tapes whatever that means", "with a new previously unedited essay by Dhani Harrison", "for the first time with the original unpeeled butcher cover", that sort of thing.

It´s a pity, because of course there´s a lot to be properly released. If we think about the solo years, gaps are immeasurable.
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

More. What I'd like/spend money on:

- An updated anthology (in HD as a minimum)
- an 'official' podcast getting into finer grains of detail. One day, I'd love to see Lewisohn attempt this, but the Nothing is Real team could do an excellent job.
- A BBC box set along the lines of the good Lord Reith's - full shows
- Shea on blu ray
- some kind of live boxed set that comes with repro programmes, posters and tickets
- a cleaned up Star Club using MAL technology

My dream Peter Jackson project would be some kind of Beatles VR that transports you to early 60s Hamburg, a bit like the Abba experience. Didn't John tell us we 'shoulda been there'? Who here wouldn't pay to see that?
Grackleflint

Post by Grackleflint »

I like the SDE format, doing an album at a time, but I sure wish they weren't so stingy. CD's will hold 80 minutes of music - they should fill all that space with these things, at least a couple takes of each song, perhaps a full session here and there. A live set would be nice, too, with maybe 8 or 10 shows , but I don't think that is something we'll see.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Grackleflint wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm I like the SDE format, doing an album at a time, but I sure wish they weren't so stingy. CD's will hold 80 minutes of music - they should fill all that space with these things, at least a couple takes of each song, perhaps a full session here and there. A live set would be nice, too, with maybe 8 or 10 shows , but I don't think that is something we'll see.
As discussed before, they are now manufacturing these things with the vinyl set in mind. Therefore everything is LP length. That won’t change unfortunately, so expect more 50% full CDs and useless E.Ps in future box sets.
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

If such a thing really exists, I'd like to hear the Dick James Demos I've heard about.

I'm very happy with the SDE's.
If there is any hope for further studio outtakes I would have to believe this is where they will appear.

I'd love an upgraded, expanded Anthology. Don't think I'll ever see it.
I'd love, as has been suggested, digital, perhaps subscription releases of further outtake but I don't think I'll ever see (hear) it.

Eight Days a Week and Let It Be show me how horribly unimaginative the Beatles team is.
They had 2 huge opportunities to craft something outside the box,
and there is more than enough material from which to curate such sets, and they squandered those opportunities.
I can't imagine the world in which they say, "hey, let's try Let it Be and LIVE again!"
So my hopes are dampened.

I like Giles but I think The Beatles are just a job for him, however famous it makes him or well-paying it is.
He will never have the opportunity to be the ground breaker that his father was.