So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: So are we happy with these SDE sets, or do we want more?

Post by Lord Reith »

vickrose777 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:23 am L.R. I think you said it best the last time we spoke. No matter what they release, anything previously unreleased, we will continue to buy it. I know I will. What's a shame is the blatant decline of Apple's SDE format. Seems like "yesterday" we're getting a Blu ray. Now we get an EP. Two disks worth of material stretched to five.
I was an Anthology baby. I heard that before I heard most of the albums. To me each album is getting their own Anthology now. That's an upside. I'm grateful. I also agree with alot of what I've read here. Peter Jackson has offered publicly to work on the Star Club, and I've never understood why the Beatles themselves have only acknowledged those tapes in a lawsuit. Those tapes are a HUGE piece of the puzzle! You hear Lennon talk about "back then no one could touch us," those tapes are the very end of that era...
I could go on. Yeah, no, I'm happy with it.
It's all about "moichandising" to quote the wise Yoghurt from Spaceballs. You couldn't market the Star Club tapes to a modern audience without some serious context-giving visuals in the form of animation or CGI or something along those lines. Then people might accept it as some sort of immersive virtual experience. But just as a cd? "Nugganna happen!" as Mr Trump would say.

If you think about it, The Beatles were actually second on the bill for the Get Back series. It was Peter Jackson they were selling, because the guy is hugely famous and they knew that if he is doing a series on The Beatles then that is enough to convince large numbers of people to watch it. If it had been produced by Joe Shalabotnik then it'd have been a much harder sell and probably would have been abandoned when Covid broke, to go on the same shelf as Let It Be. Sometimes this has approach has backfired though... witness the negative reaction to the universally-loathed Eight Days A Week movie, after we were all made to suffer through that endless procession of boring celebrities. If they'd stuck to the idea of making it a film about the live years told through fan footage, then it might have stood a chance. But they thought we'd all want to watch it just because Whoopee Goldberg likes the Beatles.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
vickrose777

Post by vickrose777 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 am
It's all about "moichandising" to quote the wise Yoghurt from Spaceballs. You couldn't market the Star Club tapes to a modern audience without some serious context-giving visuals in the form of animation or CGI or something along those lines. Then people might accept it as some sort of immersive virtual experience. But just as a cd? "Nugganna happen!" as Mr Trump would say.

If you think about it, The Beatles were actually second on the bill for the Get Back series. It was Peter Jackson they were selling, because the guy is hugely famous and they knew that if he is doing a series on The Beatles then that is enough to convince large numbers of people to watch it. If it had been produced by Joe Shalabotnik then it'd have been a much harder sell and probably would have been abandoned when Covid broke, to go on the same shelf as Let It Be. Sometimes this has approach has backfired though... witness the negative reaction to the universally-loathed Eight Days A Week movie, after we were all made to suffer through that endless procession of boring celebrities. If they'd stuck to the idea of making it a film about the live years told through fan footage, then it might have stood a chance. But they thought we'd all want to watch it just because Whoopee Goldberg likes the Beatles.
Again, I conquer with you, the Wise Yoghurt, and the next president....I mean the last president. Star Club on its own, "Nugganna happen!" I think in Dreamy Dreamland some us hope for a super mega mega Anthology, perhaps as a labor of love. Then reality hits. This is not the sixties, and Apple's very first lesson in business took place between 1968-69. Labors of love are a sinking ship. As far as I have seen, they have never looked back. Everything is now based on a market value.
On the plus side, after Anthology, for years it seemed nothing was in sight. These days we have steady projects to look forward to. If I'm seeing things wrong, it sure seems right. I find contentment in knowing that, and as always I am grateful for this forum. It's been a long time since I have thought about any type of audio editing. My last project was on cassette. I made it work though. My only hesitation today is a lack of time. If I familiarized myself with some of these programs they have now....its all I would ever do. Wow, that was alot. :D
and one more thing, Whoopi says "she likes the Beatles" and that's all good and well. Surely she will be able to answer me this: If Timothy Leary comes on Tuesday, when do John and Yoko come?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

vickrose777 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 pm On the plus side, after Anthology, for years it seemed nothing was in sight. These days we have steady projects to look forward to. If I'm seeing things wrong, it sure seems right.
It is for sure way better than the noughties. That was a very grim period after Anthology. I got quite cranky when they would say "There's nothing left now!" when plainly there was SO MUCH left to do. At least now they are thinking big. Bigger is better. There's still some of the old timidity there, but they are gradually realising what everyone else has known for decades: that people aspire to objects of desire, that they aspire to luxury items and things that make them feel special. If you tap into this simple human trait, you will laugh all the way to the bank. I mean, just look at Steve Jobs. He somehow managed to talk people into throwing away their perfectly good iphones every year... and they're still doing it.
vickrose777

Post by vickrose777 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:31 am
vickrose777 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 pm On the plus side, after Anthology, for years it seemed nothing was in sight. These days we have steady projects to look forward to. If I'm seeing things wrong, it sure seems right.
I got quite cranky when they would say "There's nothing left now!" when plainly there was SO MUCH left to do.
I remember hearing about a conversation between Paul and Giles where Paul asks (rhetorically) how many versions of Get Back do they need? My answer: How many ya got? I've stumbled upon greatness more than once, while listening to random camera rolls created in Jan. 1969. The versions where they are mocking themselves...John's good with that. None of these have been officially released. So I think they have a ways to go yet....the question is: Will it take another 50 years? I really hope not.
"Why don't you put it on the toast!" :lol:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Get back is a good example of how we were right all along.

For years, the widom coming from the top was that the GB sessions were a sprawling, self-indulgent wasteland and that the tapes would be locked away forever.

Then they opened a tiny window for Naked, and then shut it tightly again.

And then, suddenly, in 2019 the GB sessions are worthy of a six hour tv series and three discs of outtakes.

So what changed?

Nothing. They were always worthy of a release, and the only difference is that 30 years ago there were many more fans to buy them and no way to download. So that was a huge wasted opportunity due to a lack of imagination on everybody's part.

It's great to be getting all this stuff now, but it's still a case of too little too late. I feel sorry for all the fans who have died in the last 20 years and missed out. Many more of us will be kicking up the daisies or dribbling over soup in aged care before the kind of stuff we would like to hear is made available.

It's been 60 years for Cliff's sake. These aren't NATO secrets, they are just some tapes with interesting music. Release it all so that the fans can hear it before there's nobody left to care.
vickrose777

Post by vickrose777 »

Well said.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm Release it all so that the fans can hear it before there's nobody left to care.
If they were crafty, they could digitize everything (assuming they haven't already) and do a subscription service and then release like a reel a week or something like that. That way they'd have you for the $9.99 a month (or whatever they charge) and we'd get everything.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

bobzilla wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:05 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm Release it all so that the fans can hear it before there's nobody left to care.
If they were crafty, they could digitize everything (assuming they haven't already) and do a subscription service and then release like a reel a week or something like that. That way they'd have you for the $9.99 a month (or whatever they charge) and we'd get everything.
This is the path that Dr. Demento has taken. You can subscribe to his podcast. Depending on the tier you subscribe to, you can get whatever his current offering is, or if you go "top tier" you get full access to the archive. Phil Hendrie has done this as well. Of course, Dr. Demento is renowned throughout this corner of the western spiral arm of the Milky Way. But if you're not familiar with Hendrie, he is one of the foremost radio personality/pioneers of the 80's/90's and beyond. He baits the average caller with controversial guests, all voiced by himself. Entertaining? I've burst out-loud laughing many many times!

So for The Beatles (or any other band who goes this route) I would anticipate a subscription service that has multiple tiers offering varying degrees of access to the archive. Of course, it would have to be encrypted/embedded and shielded so that it couldn't be simply downloaded and archived by the likes of me. But if the major players were to go this route, I'm sure there's a buck or two to be made.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 pmPhil Hendrie has done this as well. Of course, Dr. Demento is renowned throughout this corner of the western spiral arm of the Milky Way. But if you're not familiar with Hendrie, he is one of the foremost radio personality/pioneers of the 80's/90's and beyond. He baits the average caller with controversial guests, all voiced by himself. Entertaining? I've burst out-loud laughing many many times!
KFI! He was "a g-y man and a g-y journalist"...
skynet

Post by skynet »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm Get back is a good example of how we were right all along.

For years, the widom coming from the top was that the GB sessions were a sprawling, self-indulgent wasteland and that the tapes would be locked away forever.

Then they opened a tiny window for Naked, and then shut it tightly again.

And then, suddenly, in 2019 the GB sessions are worthy of a six hour tv series and three discs of outtakes.

So what changed?

Nothing. They were always worthy of a release, and the only difference is that 30 years ago there were many more fans to buy them and no way to download. So that was a huge wasted opportunity due to a lack of imagination on everybody's part.

It's great to be getting all this stuff now, but it's still a case of too little too late. I feel sorry for all the fans who have died in the last 20 years and missed out. Many more of us will be kicking up the daisies or dribbling over soup in aged care before the kind of stuff we would like to hear is made available.

It's been 60 years for Cliff's sake. These aren't NATO secrets, they are just some tapes with interesting music. Release it all so that the fans can hear it before there's nobody left to care.
Well Said dear lord... my fear (and almost belief) is that after they get to Please Please Me Eventually, they will wait for the 100th anniversary to release the rest of the session tapes or even to provide a cloud service for download, which is a shame, to be honest, i am thankful to get what we all got already, either officially or unofficialy, ... you know before mid 80s, none of us expected to have more than a couple of crappy sounding bootlegs, with few discoveries here and there, but then ultra rare tracks and unsurpassed masters opened a big door, which i am thankful to have lived (as lots of people here), then the rest is history as they said... (and i have yield and bough the SDE revolver in digital HD format just for the session tapes and the LPs, i used to bought both versions - LPs and CDs when the Dolby Atmos mix was included, but for Revolver this was not the case), so by now i am looking to see what they release for the remaining albums (as marginal as it may be)... but i won't expect to see what's next beyond that, sadly