Inside Number 3

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Bumblebee

Inside Number 3

Post by Bumblebee »

A word of warning to anyone considering taking a punt on the book about Apple Records, Inside Number 3 https://insideandoutsideno3.com/ Hear my story and learn from it.

There are three pricing structures, £35 for the paperback, £75 hardback up to £200 for the deluxe edition in a presentation box with reproduction memorabilia.

I bought the £200 edition - I know, I know…. In my defence, I love the whole Apple records thing and the reproduction memorabilia aspect lured me in. What I got was a small 68 page book in a box. There are some interesting aspects in the book, in particular a commemorative edition of Our First Four issued when Apple reissued the non Beatle releases. That indeed looks very fine indeed. Alas, that’s it. The grammatical and punctuation errors in the book, along with the spelling mistakes, make it a frustrating read. Not only that, the author claims to have a 45 of Apple 1 - the Frank Sinatra tribute to Maureen Starr. Not only that, it’s in a picture sleeve (albeit a sleeve that’s different to the one shown in the authors previous tragedy of a book, Apples Of My Eye). He also shows the Delaney and Bonnie album in a finished cover. The latter looks to be an obvious Elektra edition mocked up as an Apple promo.

There’s more, including an incomplete discography and some picture sleeves so tatty that even an optimistic eBay seller would mark them as ‘poor’.

However what’s the real killer is the reproduction memorabilia. It’s simply a packet from the reproduction series by Memorabilia, this one the Beatlemania set (about £5 on Amazon). So, not even anything to do with Apple.

To anyone thinking of buying this travesty, in any of its editions, learn from my mistake and think again.

It’s not all bad news. As I bought the set mail order then I’ve a week to send it back for a refund. Which I’m doing.
Mr Bump

Re: Inside Number 3

Post by Mr Bump »

Is he claiming to have a copy of Apple 1, "The Lady Is A Champ"? There's only one genuine copy, isn't there? And I think it was kept my Maureen. If he has the only copy, I wonder where he got it - and for sure it was never issued, so what's the picture sleeve all about? Maybe he has a bootleg, which I would think he would realise.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Yes, and there is a photograph of a 45 with a picture sleeve. It’s a half page shot in what is a small book and so it’s not possible to discern much from what is shown. The 45 is simply a black vinyl 7” with what seems to be a blank Apple label - that is, a standard green UK Apple label with no writing on it. I’ve attached a shot of the page concerned.

The accompanying narrative gives no background as to how the record was acquired, simply that Ringo arranged with Frank for him to record the song for Maureen who was a big fan. It was George who picked up the track from Frank when he was in America and brought it back to the UK. In his earlier Apples Of My Eye book, the author claimed that one record was pressed in the USA and the masters destroyed. This then begs the question as to why the record pictured in the book has a UK Apple label.

I’ve made up my mind about the veracity of this, as I’m sure you have too. I agree with you, if it’s a bootleg then he should fess up instead of trying to play people for fools.

It’s not the only example within the book that raises question, the aforementioned Delaney and Bonnie sleeve being another moot point. To put things into perspective, in Apples Of My Eye the author claims to have an Apple CD of Richard Brautigan’s cancelled Zapple album.
Attachments
03B9FBA2-7C84-4A52-87D2-FC8FB5400688.jpeg
03B9FBA2-7C84-4A52-87D2-FC8FB5400688.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 749 times
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I don't think those Apple sleeves with the curved top edge were used in the UK. They had wavy tops, or tops with a recess cut in them to help access the 45. It must be a mock-up or a bootleg. And why is there both a picture sleeve (which is surely not a real thing) and a company sleeve - he really should explain or readers will get the impression they are being shown something they are not.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

There is a worn out saying that I stopped using long ago. Or, a tired song keeps playing on a tired radio...
"If it seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true". Besides you've already answered your own question. What is the significance of that photo?
Is it merely an entry in the book? What kind of book is it? A price guide? Are there different sizes of books? Any commemorative edition that is basically a 'custom' box to house the standard edition...and a Cracker Jack prize that also is unrelated to the commemorated item, is not special in any way. Collectables cannot be created. A hand numbered cert of authenticity doesn't mean anything either...WORTHLESS. As for Maureen's picture, is that some kind of promo picture? It all looks VERY HOME-MADE to me. If there is only one disc in existence, then that one is badly made. If the Delany And Bonnie Album looks like an Elektra jacket with an Apple logo? That could be easily provided. But, I don't think he said that these are genuine rarities did he? That will be foolish because he already got low-bid on the publishing. I won't even read a caption that doesn't know how to spell, punctuate, conjugate, or uses wrong structure of his own language. Does all of that matter? Well, if all that is in error, then how can you verify the authoritative information that is the heart of the publication? How would he get Frank Sinatra's copy? It sounds like he needed something in his book to set it apart from the other books that 'can't spell'! He thought those two items were enough puff/spin to keep it aloft. I wonder how many he got stuck with. He'll dump them in the bin behind his apartment before it's over...for free! That kind of book is called 'Fluff'. It is vacuous. And you wanted it because it showed two records that aren't shown in any other book? Man, I could survive for three weeks on $200.00. Don't feel bad. I've seen enough uneducated disregard for literary correctness, that this will be ongoing and nobody is immune. If nobody cares how to spell, just think how the banking is going. Does spelling and grammar matter? Was that two French doors...or, to French Whores? I bet he never said these are the genuine rarities. But worse, he didn't have to. The pictures say plenty. ONE RECORD PRESSED? Think about that. One sided? Then why 2 labels and why is the B-Side that has the music? Because it's white and not green. One picture of Maureen was printed? 200.00!!! Damn! I wouldn't buy that for more than $5.00! LP + single. And, I promise, that single as a song on each side. Neither of which are The Lady Is. If the book is good, It shouldn't be that expensive. I can't believe he thought the money would follow the book. Baited again! Good luck on the refund!
KC
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

Thanks for the warning!
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Thank you very much for the information. I was about to buy it.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:22 am There is a worn out saying that I stopped using long ago. Or, a tired song keeps playing on a tired radio...
"If it seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true". Besides you've already answered your own question. What is the significance of that photo?
Is it merely an entry in the book? What kind of book is it? A price guide? Are there different sizes of books? Any commemorative edition that is basically a 'custom' box to house the standard edition...and a Cracker Jack prize that also is unrelated to the commemorated item, is not special in any way. Collectables cannot be created. A hand numbered cert of authenticity doesn't mean anything either...WORTHLESS. As for Maureen's picture, is that some kind of promo picture? It all looks VERY HOME-MADE to me. If there is only one disc in existence, then that one is badly made. If the Delany And Bonnie Album looks like an Elektra jacket with an Apple logo? That could be easily provided. But, I don't think he said that these are genuine rarities did he? That will be foolish because he already got low-bid on the publishing. I won't even read a caption that doesn't know how to spell, punctuate, conjugate, or uses wrong structure of his own language. Does all of that matter? Well, if all that is in error, then how can you verify the authoritative information that is the heart of the publication? How would he get Frank Sinatra's copy? It sounds like he needed something in his book to set it apart from the other books that 'can't spell'! He thought those two items were enough puff/spin to keep it aloft. I wonder how many he got stuck with. He'll dump them in the bin behind his apartment before it's over...for free! That kind of book is called 'Fluff'. It is vacuous. And you wanted it because it showed two records that aren't shown in any other book? Man, I could survive for three weeks on $200.00. Don't feel bad. I've seen enough uneducated disregard for literary correctness, that this will be ongoing and nobody is immune. If nobody cares how to spell, just think how the banking is going. Does spelling and grammar matter? Was that two French doors...or, to French Whores? I bet he never said these are the genuine rarities. But worse, he didn't have to. The pictures say plenty. ONE RECORD PRESSED? Think about that. One sided? Then why 2 labels and why is the B-Side that has the music? Because it's white and not green. One picture of Maureen was printed? 200.00!!! Damn! I wouldn't buy that for more than $5.00! LP + single. And, I promise, that single as a song on each side. Neither of which are The Lady Is. If the book is good, It shouldn't be that expensive. I can't believe he thought the money would follow the book. Baited again! Good luck on the refund!
KC
Honestly, if I had the faintest idea what you were going on about I might be inclined to offer a considered response.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Bumblebee wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 pm Honestly, if I had the faintest idea what you were going on about I might be inclined to offer a considered response.
Bumblebee, hello.
Thank you for trying. To make excuses would be a bore. I don't even remember writing it. I can only say...it's too long for me to read. I have been cursed by a condition that requires daily doses of pure misery. I have not enjoyed it ever. Lately I have had problems that just go round and round in this circle game. I don't want to be explicit but it was really bad when I was in a clinical trial because I was taking a drug that was experimental and not even patented yet. That was for two years but I had to stop in early August. I'm now using conventional methods that I also will not bore you with. I haven't had more than 90 minutes of continuous sleep in the last three years. It also involves a bunch of travelling back and forth to the well known campus of USC. I wasn't really supposed to be a Beatles fan anymore but I just had to wait for REVOLVER and so, sometimes, I'm too excited to sleep. Nothing but a bur. Every time I wake up, I have to be happy. I don't want to pretend. The Beatles taught me that trick. You don't have to believe this but, I don't really like writing. But thank you, for indulging me!
Your friend,
KC