Running a new quack theory past everybody...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
BDJ

Re: Running a new quack theory past everybody...

Post by BDJ »

stereoman33 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:36 am I just want to know what is so difficult to play about that tune?
The guitar lines couldn’t be more basic if they tried
2 potential difficulties:

1: the breaks where the voice goes Pop Goes The Beatles. Mentioned by Gibson. A bit tricky, but certainly not beyond the Beatles. But they would have to practice it a few times before getting it right.

2: the theme tune is mostly a guitar solo, over a blues chord scheme. Nothing special, but Harrison could not improvise such a solo. Just listen to '8 bar Original', or the Get Back sessions.
Ken_peps

Post by Ken_peps »

A quote from Bernard Purdie from the same podcast cited earlier in this thread: - "I overdubbed the drumming on 21 songs from the first three Beatle albums". "There are four drummers on the Beatles records, but Ringo is not one of them" If you want to believe Mr. Purdie, who remains convinced that he played on the Beatles' records (incidentally, I played with him a few years back on a number of occasions and the story, and number of recordings, changed constantly in the retelling...) then you're welcome to; the aural evidence just does not point to that, based on the way one played versus the other. The Pete Best years would be a whole different story. Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument about this, as it's actually kind of fun having these discussions. And, I must say, I LOVE Mr. Purdie's drumming - a real innovator. I also love Ringo's drumming for the same reason, although they were innovators in their own unique ways.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah Mr Purdie - a great drummer but clearly suffereing from early dementia towards the end of his life!

Thinking more about the subject at hand, did Bobby Graham get asked to help record the PGTB theme on June 1st? Was it Ringo who couldn't nail it? Although the drums certainly sound like Ringo and not like Bobby. But maybe Bobby lent a hand like Bo Diddley instructing Charlie Watts on "Not fade Away" at a BBC session?
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:33 am Thinking more about the subject at hand, did Bobby Graham get asked to help record the PGTB theme on June 1st? Was it Ringo who couldn't nail it? Although the drums certainly sound like Ringo and not like Bobby. But maybe Bobby lent a hand like Bo Diddley instructing Charlie Watts on "Not fade Away" at a BBC session?
I have the book by Patrick Harrington who interviewed Bobby Graham at some length, and the only Beatles-related story in it is - Brian Epstein was very keen on enlisting Bobby in June 1962, trying to lure him away from Joe Brown & the Bruvvers into The Beatles. IMO if Bobby ever did something like this with the Beatles, sitting in on their session or merely instructing Ringo, it'd be in the book.
bonniegreg

Post by bonniegreg »

One of the great things about the British Beat Boom of the 60s was that all the great pop drummers had individual musical personalities with identifiable sonic fingerprints and unique ticks and tricks. Ringo, Bobby Graham, Charlie Watts, Bobby Elliott, Toy Meehan, Mick Avory, Keith Moon, Hugh Grundy, Bob Henrit, Clem Catini, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Bev Bevan, Mick Fleetwood and certainly others I can't think of off the top of my head ALL had individual styles that were not interchangeable. Ringo's drum fills on PGTB are the same type of fills that he played throughout his entire career. The idea that Bobby Graham could or would tell Ringo Starr HOW to play something (or vise versa) is laughable to me.
redlightflash

Post by redlightflash »

To me the track sounds just like the I saw her standing there instrumental from the mersey sound
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:49 am I've been thinking about the Pop Go The Beatles theme, which as everybody knows has been in dispute for many years after Lorne Gibson claimed in 1988 that he and his trio actually recorded it, because supposedly one of The Beatles couldn't get the "Pop! Pop Go The Beatles!" breaks right.

Trouble is, it's plainly obvious that The Beatles are performing it. Ringo's patent drum fills are there, as is almost the entire stock of George's 1963 guitar licks. You can hear Paul scream twice, and there's a harmonica which sounds entirely similar to what John did on I Got To Find My Baby (also in the key of G). So what gives? Was Lorne telling porkies? Misremembering? Suffering from early dementia? But Terry Heneberry when interviewed about the series in 1982, also singled out that track as having taken a long time to record... which tends to lend credence clearwater to Lorne's claims.
I hope this will be one of the questions Lewisohn tackles in Volume II... Have other members of the Lorne Gibson trio ever commented on this? Not knowing exactly how the BBC went about recording and editing performances, is it possible that the trio tackled the song in-studio but that, eventually, the BBC chose not to use it? Gibson might've heard the song as aired during the series and falsely assumed it was his version?

I agree with you about the Paul screams and the Lennon harmonica, plus the overall sound being very "Beatlesque." During peak Beatlemania, many groups were tasked to imitate the Beatles for various purposes. Whole albums were created that traded on the Beatles name but contained only music by bands trying to sound "like" the Beatles... for the most part, it's easy to separate the imitators from the real thing. If the PGTB theme wasn't actually the Beatles, it surely ranks amongst the best of the imitation jobs.

That being said, is it possible that the theme might've been created during a hodge-podge session of musicians that included Paul and/or John?
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:13 am It's also possible as Ken_peps says that Lorne Gibson had a phantom memory of the incident. Bobby Graham is another drummer who said he sat in for Ringo at a Beatles session. Now Bobby is possibly my favourite drummer outside of Ringo, but what is all that about? The only time he was in the same studio as The Beatles was - wait for it - for the recording session for Pop Go The Beatles episode 3 on June 1st 1963, as the drummer for Carter Lewis And The Southerners. But that band was booked to record from 9.30 to 11.30am, with The Beatles doing their session after that. This is what he said:

"I did play with The Beatles on one of their Pop Goes the Beatles sessions from the Paris Theatre and that was because the BBC didn't think that Ringo was adaptable enough for what they wanted at the time."

I'm sorry Bobby, but that is not you playing on A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues, Sure To Fall et al from that day. That is indisputably Ringo. So were he and Lorne both mad, or were they trying to weasel some royalties out of someone? Lorne's claim to having recorded the PGTB theme seems to have been enough to put the wind up Apple and seemingly convince them to leave it off both official BBC releases. Maybe Bobby wanted a bit of the action too?
Interesting... I wonder if there's a half-truth hidden in here? Perhaps Ringo might've been late and Graham sat as the other Beatles loosely ran through the numbers they'd perform for the show? Perhaps he stood at the drums while the engineers did soundchecks etc on the Beatles' gear? And from that memory, Graham might've then hoped that some fragment of what he'd done with the Beatles would've landed on the air?

Graham might not have tuned in when PGTB 3 one-time aired on June 18 63... and that he only heard the Beatle songs from that show decades later on one of the Beatles BBC specials from the 1980s (or perhaps on the 1994 LIVE AT THE BBC cd set?). Hearing, say, "Memphis" might've sparked a memory of him standing at Ringo's drum while engineers, checking the levels, would've asked him to tap the toms...

But... the business about the BBC not thinking Ringo was "adaptable enough for what they wanted to do" was hogwash. This would've been the Beatles's TWENTIETH appearance on the BBC... and Graham wants us to believe that suddenly the BBC decided Ringo wasn't good enough?
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

One of the underlying issues here may be the illusory nature of human memory. And that's a BIG can of worms in this field of endeavor. Research suggests that every time a memory is accessed, it is essentially overwritten. And the more you "remember" it, the more it's overwritten and subtly changed, often to fit a preferred narrative or color a perspective. I've seen it compared to playing a game of "Telephone" with yourself.

B. Purdie may have "remembered" these things so frequently that he's essentially created a whole new set of memories that are completely "real" - to him. Have you noticed that people who boast of a "photographic memory" virtually never have an actual pic to compare it to? There are certainly gifted minds among us. But I've found the above scenario is generally the way to bet re: memories - and especially actual Beatle ones!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:30 pm Not knowing exactly how the BBC went about recording and editing performances, is it possible that the trio tackled the song in-studio but that, eventually, the BBC chose not to use it? Gibson might've heard the song as aired during the series and falsely assumed it was his version?
Well, the shows were put together like this: the guest act was booked and either did their session the same day (for episodes 1-4) or on a different day altogether (from ep5 onwards). The songs were probably all selected in advance so they could clear copyright and make sure all royalties would be paid etc, rather than just have The Beatles turn up on the day and play whatever they liked (which is not the way the BBC worked). They seem to have recorded the requests from fans in between songs rather than do them at the end of the session so as to make editing easier. For the remaining links, the presenter (Pee Litres or Rodney Burke) wrote a "script" and another session would be held so that the presenter could record links as required to make the episodes 28 & 1/2 minutes long and make sure some of the more current requests were read out. All the presenter links and guest artist songs would then be edited into the master reel of The Beatles' session. The master reel would then be full of splices and not suitable for re-use for music but Bernie Andrews said that these sorts of tapes often got erased and re-used for talk shows and documentaries.

So, yes, it would have been perfectly feasible and no big deal for The Beatles to have recorded their version of the theme at the June 1st session and have it edited into the tape of ep1 in time for June 4th. Perhaps Lorne Gibson's story is true and they did record a version of the theme. Then maybe Terry Heneberry did a "George Martin" and thought that he might ask Bobby Graham (a well known session drummer) to sub for Ringo on June 1st to re-record the Pop Go The Beatles theme. But then perhaps some rehearsal and/or arguments took place and The Beatles got their version together without any help. Judging by Paul's negative comments about the series title some years later, they might have dragged their heels and it took a shock like this to rouse them. It just seems too big a co-incidence that both Lorne Gibson AND Bobby Graham (who had no connection with each other) would both talk about subbing for The Beatles a week apart from each other. Unless they are both just exaggerating wildly, something out of the ordinary must have taken place. As I said this is lent further weight by Terry Henebery singling that one song out for special mention in 1982.
I agree with you about the Paul screams and the Lennon harmonica, plus the overall sound being very "Beatlesque." During peak Beatlemania, many groups were tasked to imitate the Beatles for various purposes. Whole albums were created that traded on the Beatles name but contained only music by bands trying to sound "like" the Beatles... for the most part, it's easy to separate the imitators from the real thing. If the PGTB theme wasn't actually the Beatles, it surely ranks amongst the best of the imitation jobs.
It absolutely is The Beatles. No other band had that sound, or even knew how to make it. Because they had never had any instruction, they were unique.
That being said, is it possible that the theme might've been created during a hodge-podge session of musicians that included Paul and/or John?
The bass is a bit one-notey, but since Paul can be heard screaming there's no reason to think it's not him playing it.
Interesting... I wonder if there's a half-truth hidden in here? Perhaps Ringo might've been late and Graham sat as the other Beatles loosely ran through the numbers they'd perform for the show? Perhaps he stood at the drums while the engineers did soundchecks etc on the Beatles' gear? And from that memory, Graham might've then hoped that some fragment of what he'd done with the Beatles would've landed on the air?

Graham might not have tuned in when PGTB 3 one-time aired on June 18 63... and that he only heard the Beatle songs from that show decades later on one of the Beatles BBC specials from the 1980s (or perhaps on the 1994 LIVE AT THE BBC cd set?). Hearing, say, "Memphis" might've sparked a memory of him standing at Ringo's drum while engineers, checking the levels, would've asked him to tap the toms...
All feasible yes. Bobby was constantly in work and a session with the Beatles would have been just one of hundreds that year. He could have taken some dim memories of helping out with the arrangement and imagine that he recorded a whole show with them.
But... the business about the BBC not thinking Ringo was "adaptable enough for what they wanted to do" was hogwash. This would've been the Beatles's TWENTIETH appearance on the BBC... and Graham wants us to believe that suddenly the BBC decided Ringo wasn't good enough?
Well of course Ringo was good enough, but Terry Heneberry had only worked with The Beatles once prior to PGTB (on Swinging Sound 63) and was a big jazz fan who hated pop. His attitude may have been similar to George Martin with Love Me Do. He knew that Carter Lewis ATS would be in the studio the following week and that their drummer was the best known session drummer in Britain. So maybe he just thought he would take advantage of that to get it over with. Whatever happened though, I don't think anything Lorne Gibson or Bobby Graham might have contributed got used.
To me the track sounds just like the I saw her standing there instrumental from the mersey sound
Yes, good call. It does.
One of the underlying issues here may be the illusory nature of human memory. And that's a BIG can of worms in this field of endeavor. Research suggests that every time a memory is accessed, it is essentially overwritten. And the more you "remember" it, the more it's overwritten and subtly changed, often to fit a preferred narrative or color a perspective. I've seen it compared to playing a game of "Telephone" with yourself.
Yeah you're right. In a psychology lecture once we watched some footage of people having false memories implanted. It was really disturbing. The people being interviewed were related a (fictitious) incident that had supposedly taken place in their past, and asked if they could remember anything about it. They would initially reply that they had no memory of it, then the interviewer would gradually introduce small details into the conversation and, bit by bit, the false memory would take shape in the person's mind. After a few sessions like this, the person had a clear visual memory of the fictitious incident, and totally believed that it had taken place. Perhaps more disturbing is that it doesn't even really require another person to steer the process. If a person really wants to believe something is true, then they can gradually build up a phantom memory over a period of months or years until it seems absolutely real.
HannibalTwin8

Post by HannibalTwin8 »

BDJ wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:35 am
stereoman33 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:36 am I just want to know what is so difficult to play about that tune?
The guitar lines couldn’t be more basic if they tried
2 potential difficulties:

1: the breaks where the voice goes Pop Goes The Beatles. Mentioned by Gibson. A bit tricky, but certainly not beyond the Beatles. But they would have to practice it a few times before getting it right.

2: the theme tune is mostly a guitar solo, over a blues chord scheme. Nothing special, but Harrison could not improvise such a solo. Just listen to '8 bar Original', or the Get Back sessions.
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:33 am Yeah Mr Purdie - a great drummer but clearly suffereing from early dementia towards the end of his life!

Thinking more about the subject at hand, did Bobby Graham get asked to help record the PGTB theme on June 1st? Was it Ringo who couldn't nail it? Although the drums certainly sound like Ringo and not like Bobby. But maybe Bobby lent a hand like Bo Diddley instructing Charlie Watts on "Not fade Away" at a BBC session?
Reading this thread I thought surely they're not talking about the same "Pop Goes The Beatles" - the one I first heard on 'The Beatles Broadcasts" boot back in 1980 (my 2nd Beatleg ever - see my avatar). But, it is? So, I went and had a re-listen.

Verdict: It's The Beatles - all of them playing.

Reasons:

#1: There's absolutely nothing here that is beyond any member of The Beatles back in 1963. Performance-wise, very similar to content on what we hear on the Star Club tapes. Nothing any more difficult.

#2: Sound-a-likes are easy to spot. When The Beatles broke, seasoned players didn't know what made their sound unique. Ringo's windshield wiper hi-hat, the guitars/bass used, amps, etc. Nothing like it at the time. If one called, for example, Glen Campbell in to a session to play Beatle-like, he'd most likely plug in a Fender guitar into a Fender amp, turn up the reverb, and throw in some of his country licks delivered perfectly. Just habit.
Also, think of all of those Beatle movies out there where they have musicians play Beatle-y and fail - cough, cough 'Birth of The Beatles' cough, cough...

#3: Having difficulty with the breaks? Meaning, they had to work the breaks out - just like any breaks in any song they ever performed? Naturally!

#4: Yeah, Harrison was no Peter Green or Clapton. But, one thing any guitarist does when starting out is collect some licks for a "bag of tricks." A bunch of guitar licks that one can pop into a song and re-use when needed. This is what's happening here. George is playing licks from his bag of tricks and he would use them again. Listen carefully - actually not that carefully, pretty obvious - to those licks. You'll here a little "A Hard Day's Night" solo, some "I'm Down" solo - both songs in G like PGTB. And they are delivered just like Harrison would play them. Yes, the studio version of AHDN has the tape recorder slowed down for his solo, but he had to work them out first with the band. And, of course play them live later on.

#5: The Beatles were not beyond playing a theme - they'd do it again in 1968 playing the David Frost theme.

I had more, but I have to go mow the lawn now. This has been a fun exercise! Thanks, Lord Reith for bringing it up. :)