Mal Evans' alarm clock - A Day In The Life

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Mr Bump

Mal Evans' alarm clock - A Day In The Life

Post by Mr Bump »

Been thinking about this.

The official version of events states Mal counted the bars in the link section, and when the correct number of bars was reached, he set an alarn clock to go off.

This is problematic - how would you get an old analogue alarm clock to ring at precisely the right moment? You could possibly do it manually but then you'd have to know you'd reached that precise point anyway, defeating the object - and why impose a loud and potentially unpleasant sound onto the band's live recording?

Much more logical is that it was dubbed on after the event, as a joke to signal "woke up, fell out of bed".

I am of the view it's an after-the-event overdub and the official account is wrong. Anyone have any views?
Phil_Lip

Re: Mal Evans' alarm clock - A Day In The Life

Post by Phil_Lip »

Not a conventional alarm clock but something like this. I remember these from school days where you could just move a lever to set the alarm off.

https://tinyurl.com/56u695xv
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

That much money waiting to be ruined?
Mal wasn't even an anvil player at the time.
You really wanna risk it?
Can he count to 24 with a fake nose on?
I 'm worried about the MU rep!
The micrograms....
Marijke Koger and Simon Posthuma are already on bubbles...
isn't that enough?
Mal's got a full plate
and EMI owns an accurate metronome/timer.
Let gravity handle it.
Besides, we've lost the owner's manual for the Ambiophony wall treatment in No. 1!!!
Better overdub it later.
EVERYTHING is recorded LIVE!
No matter when it's recorded.
KC
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Phil_Lip wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:45 pm Not a conventional alarm clock but something like this. I remember these from school days where you could just move a lever to set the alarm off.

https://tinyurl.com/56u695xv
Think you might have cracked it there. I was thinking in terms of a bedside clock which has an accuracy of about five minutes!
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I'd suppose the clock wasn't functioning properly regarding the proper moving of arms, so he just wound it up, kept ready in his hands, and set it off at the right moment.