Big Dave Johnson

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
mojofilter

Big Dave Johnson

Post by mojofilter »

I've been poring through old e-mail correspondence with people I haven't heard from in years. I came across a thread of conversation I had with Dave Johnson, who posted a lot of material on the web as BigDaveJ. Maybe some of you have heard of him. Maybe not. He had a freaking stellar collection of records and bootlegs back to "Great White Wonder" and "Kum Back." He supplied me with high-quality vinyl transfers of many vinyl bootlegs that I cleaned up and shared on various places. There might not be any fixed-up bootlegs of this particular type on the internet if not for Dave sending them to me.

I was just reading one of his messages that explained his background, and what he had done and where he was in 2013. By then, he was out of places to ply his trade and was looking for any work that would pay his bills. I stopped hearing from him. Some years went by, and I learned through communication with another collector that Dave was working as a janitor at an education institution. It's a long way down, and he went all the way.

I don't know if any of you know of him or care, but I was just reminiscing about the wealth of material that he shared with the world, that he had to sell for money to live on. It is quite possible that he isn't out there anymore, and I can't imagine what must have happened to his bootleg collection... but I have to tell you guys, it was freakin' massive. I hope it didn't end up in a landfill. This has been my humble tribute to Big Dave.

Thanks, Dave. You made a big impression on me, and most likely countless others, too.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
InnerLight

Re: Big Dave Johnson

Post by InnerLight »

I definitely remember that user. He shared a lot on BZ for a while as I recall. Thanks for the updates.