Original Issue Sheet Music and How They Sound (UPDATE! 1-18-2023)

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Dave1971

Re: Original Issue Sheet Music and How They Sound

Post by Dave1971 »

BDJ wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:55 am And interesting that the Sheet Music actually says it is written by "MCARTNEY-LENNON", not Lennon-McCartney. Hadn't they agreed on the order yet at the time of Love Me Do? Does it mean Love Me Do was mainly written by Paul?
Not to mention that the 1st printing Red Label and the white "A" label promo discs of Love Me Do had Lennon/McCartney (or rather McArtney).
The Please Please Me LP was credited to McCartney/Lennon. Does this mean that the sheet music came out later in early '63? I still cannot find an exact publishing date.
Albert Grove

Re: Original Issue Sheet Music and How They Sound (UPDATE!)

Post by Albert Grove »

Thanks again. Hope you will continue this series.
Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

From Me To You and Thank You Girl added. Interestingly Thank You Girl has an extra measure on the original sheet music. See if you can spot it.

From Me To You is in the key of G here instead of C, and Thank You Girl is in B flat instead of D major. The music transcription is getting a little better but still leave a lot to be desired. Who would have thought that these sheet music arrangements would be scrutinized 60 years later!

Next up: She Loves You/I'll Get You
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks for these. I used to have all the sheet music but binned it years ago when I realised it was all "wrong".

I remember the words are slightly different in I Want To Hold Your Hand: "THEN I'll say that something." Also the "Oh yeh" at the start was a different rhythm (faster) and the rhythm of "I'll tell you something" was different too.

Years ago, someone told me there are demo discs for many more Beatles songs than we know about. Pre-internet, someone also told me that Elvis Costello's dad had worked for Dick James Music and many of these discs had passed to him. Now, I met Elvis Costello backstage in 1987 and after blowing smoke up his ass by saying how much I'd enjoyed his rendition of Leave My Kitten Alone (which was true, i wasn't lying), I broached the aforementioned matter. He did a double take, and that was basically the end of the conversation! :lol:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

Sometimes that's all the affirmation you need!

Also your memory is spot on about I Want to Hold Your Hand
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/RCNxAABL#F7MlSGejSVm_N-7myaFWVw
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Dave1971 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:07 pm Sometimes that's all the affirmation you need!

Also your memory is spot on about I Want to Hold Your Hand
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/RCNxAABL#F7MlSGejSVm_N-7myaFWVw
Nice to see my brain has survived the decades!
Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

December was a rough month, but I plan on posting more soon. My wife had surgery right before Christmas and I started a new job. But I have She Loves You done and will start on I'll Get You soon.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Cool! It's amazing that this subject has been ignored for so long. This could be the closest we get to some of the original demos.
BigJoe

Post by BigJoe »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:53 pm Thanks for these. I used to have all the sheet music but binned it years ago when I realised it was all "wrong".

I remember the words are slightly different in I Want To Hold Your Hand: "THEN I'll say that something." Also the "Oh yeh" at the start was a different rhythm (faster) and the rhythm of "I'll tell you something" was different too.

Years ago, someone told me there are demo discs for many more Beatles songs than we know about. Pre-internet, someone also told me that Elvis Costello's dad had worked for Dick James Music and many of these discs had passed to him. Now, I met Elvis Costello backstage in 1987 and after blowing smoke up his ass by saying how much I'd enjoyed his rendition of Leave My Kitten Alone (which was true, i wasn't lying), I broached the aforementioned matter. He did a double take, and that was basically the end of the conversation! :lol:
On the insert to Costello's Unfaithful Music soundtrack cd there's a picture of a Dick James demo disc of Girl:

https://shorefire.com/images/uploads/al ... Wtrmrk.pdf
Dave1971

Re: Original Issue Sheet Music and How They Sound (UPDATE! 1-18-2023)

Post by Dave1971 »

I am sorry for the 8 month lag in posting the original sheet music. I plan on resuming soon.