The She Loves You edits laid bare

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Kwai Chang

Re: The She Loves You edits laid bare

Post by Kwai Chang »

CultTVman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:13 am You have to give credit to George Martin for pushing the limits of the recording technology in 1963. The were working with 2 track analog recording and attempting primitive overdubs. I suspect the edits are similar to those we know were done on From Me To You. She Loves You is an amazing single.
That's what impresses me! George Martin is the real thing!
You know why?
I've loved this song forever and I never once thought I'd heard anything unbecoming about it! That means they are part of every Beatles track. I find it fascinating that it was machinery that makes it easy to locate...but, it doesn't get sorted thusly to the brain...other than the exceptional few that listen for it! Perhaps not literally!
KC
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

rtbcIII wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:24 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:34 am I guess they just didn't have time to rehearse it as much as they needed to. That may have been a good thing though.
Have always thought that was one of the secrets of their success - they barely had time to use the loo at EMI in those days, let alone second-guess themselves. Problems needed to be solved in minutes, not hours.
I would not disagree.
The other reason is that nobody was listening...already...they were much bigger than the music!
I doubt if I would have listened if they were right in front of me! Wow!
Edits? When all hell is breaking loose??
Only The Monkees ever worked this hard...but they only did it for two years at this pace.
Incredible!
KC
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Given the breadth of talent and genres Martin worked with before the Fabs arrived, I'm guessing the SLY editing job was actually pretty mundane for him (and the other guys behind the glass). Consider the single he collaborated with Dr. Who sound fx whiz Maddalena Fagandini on in 1962 (credited as "Ray Cathode") just before signing The Beatles.

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Patrick Healy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:15 pm I'm assuming none of the alternate takes exist any more?
No. Nothing at all from that day except the two edited mono mixes.
rtbcIII wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:24 pm I guess they just didn't have time to rehearse it as much as they needed to. That may have been a good thing though.
Have always thought that was one of the secrets of their success - they barely had time to use the loo at EMI in those days, let alone second-guess themselves. Problems needed to be solved in minutes, not hours.
[/quote]

Yes, 100% Who was it who said "If you've spent more than five minutes writing a song then you've just been jerking off". A slight exaggeration maybe, but the principle holds true for both writing and recording. If you want to capture lightning in a bottle, you've got to be quick. Look at all those BBC recordings. Some of them are simply astonishing, and yet they just rattled them off in one take probably.
Engonoceras wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:15 pm MasterJedi did a remaster of this that masked the edits and tonal changes very well. Not 100% perfect but much better.

The best unfutzed transfer I've heard is on the CD version of the "Million Sellers" EP linked below. It jumps out of the speakers for sure.
hxxps://we.tl/t-h4FdAp2x2n

Maybe someone could use that as a basis for a new remaster that fixes the edits and tonal changes. I think everyone else is using the awful "Past Masters" transfers or vinyl transfers. But, I don't know if the above is a true mono transfer using a true mono tape head OR a mono tape transfer using a stereo head.
Thanks for the link. The bigger problem is that one of the edit pieces takes is not only slightly slower tempo but recorded with a different drums and guitar sound. When I did the stereo demix I tried to address this change in tonal balance by EQing each instrument separately, but it still doesn't quite work. They must have had a repositioning of the microphones for one of the takes.

The original mono releases on vinyl were far less dodgy sounding. Norman Smith was not an idiot, he would never have let the atrocious Past Masters version "pass". He would have redone it. I am almost certain that the splices came apart at some point post-60s and had to be re-cemented, and the tape has not sounded right ever since.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

George Martin also produced a cover version that was, uh, interesting.

https://tinyurl.com/2tdbw9k5
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:40 pm If you want to capture lightning in a bottle, you've got to be quick. Look at all those BBC recordings. Some of them are simply astonishing, and yet they just rattled them off in one take probably.
Again, this is precisely why it would only be believable with George Martin at the helm.
However, Lewisohn didn't document any such sessions for BBC shows.
And, yet...they probably didn't have time to do more than one take!
So, I understand it must fit the history!
(Another reason I can't imagine such luck without G.M.)
I am grateful to be enlightened about the She Loves You.
I will pay attention next time I hear it.
KC

Edit: I listened to She Loves You thrice. The only edit I hear is at 1:02 which is a tribute to the Oboe player!
Last edited by Kwai Chang on Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

I missed the original post. Can somebody please re-up it?
Thanks!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Rave O Lucien wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:47 pm I missed the original post. Can somebody please re-up it?
Thanks!
hxxps://we.tl/t-QCvjZacAvV
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

Dave Dexter JR-r's Remix of Fake stereo Mix of 'She Loves You' is the best sound
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

jpgrcat007 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:32 pm Dave Dexter JR-r's Remix of Fake stereo Mix of 'She Loves You' is the best sound
On which album is it?
Yves