"Tune In" audiobook on Audible

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

"Tune In" audiobook on Audible

Post by Lord Reith »

They have this as an exclusive on Audibledotcom. When the book came out I got the extended version, probably unwisely because large tracts of it are incredibly boring. So I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the standard (short) version so much more. It's like a fact-checked version of Hunter Davies biography. Well written without being unduly weighed down by minutia. And having it as an audiobook is great because I can put it on for an hour when I got to bed or wake up. Mark actually reads the foreword and he does it so well I wish he'd read the whole thing. But the guy who takes over is pretty good too.

You wouldn't want to buy the audiobook because it costs heaps, but you get one free audiobook with your free Audible trial regardless of length. So you can get the whole 43 hours for nothing. Fortunately, the chaptering follows the book so it is easy to listen to in approximately one hour chunks.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sat May 29, 2021 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
snrub

Re: "Tune In" audiobook (not a download)

Post by snrub »

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I am doing something wrong because I do not see the 74 hour version extended though, it only has one version and under its details it reads: Length: 43 hrs and 43 mins
joguema

Post by joguema »

I can see two different versions:

Maybe they have a wrong length in one of the descriptions.
snrub

Post by snrub »

Thanks for the screen shot, that is so strange. I still only see one option no matter which search term I use (e.g. "Tune In", "Beatles - All These Years" etc.

In your image, the one at the bottom is clearly the extended edition's cover and later date, yet it is a third of the price compared to the one at the top with the earlier date and original cover that presumably would be the regular edition.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I recently gave the standard edition a re-read. It moves along nicely. 1962 is kinda riveting reading as the pace picks up. I believe the next edition is due 2023. I really look forward to his telling of 1963 (which more and more is my favorite Beatle year).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Sorry I meant 43 hours yes. Definitely worth listening to for the price, which is $0!

There is only one version of the audio which is the standard edition of the book (43 hours). The US site for Audible has what appears to be two different versions of the audiobook but they are in fact the same (although one is three times the price) going by the comments. The other one has an extra publisher copyright in 2015, maybe that is why the cover is different. This is the version available in other countries.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sat May 29, 2021 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

They also have the Hunter Davies biography.
miggynav

Re: "Tune In" audiobook on Audible

Post by miggynav »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:58 am They have this as an exclusive on Audibledotcom. When the book came out I got the extended version, probably unwisely because large tracts of it are incredibly boring. So I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the standard (short) version so much more. It's like a fact-checked version of Hunter Davies biography. Well written without being unduly weighed down by minutia. And having it as an audiobook is great because I can put it on for an hour when I got to bed or wake up. Mark actually reads the foreword and he does it so well I wish he'd read the whole thing. But the guy who takes over is pretty good too.

You wouldn't want to buy the audiobook because it costs heaps, but you get one free audiobook with your free Audible trial regardless of length. So you can get the whole 43 hours for nothing. Fortunately, the chaptering follows the book so it is easy to listen to in approximately one hour chunks.
Thanks for the heads up, I downloaded it since it's free and my hard copy is still sealed. Will listen to it tonight until I fall asleep.
Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The audiobook definitely isn't the expanded edition, but the description misleadingly says "Unabridged" which simply means they didn't leave any stuff out like some audiobooks do.

I was actually expecting it to be the expanded version but I have never read the shorter one so I am glad to have it, and it moves at a much more agreeable pace. The expanded one is a real chore to read. Weren't there like fifteen pages about where their great grandparents had lived?

Like I said, this won't cost you anything if you do the trial (don't forget to cancel before they renew like I did!) and it is really excellent listening. I want to get the Davies one as well because it was the first Beatle book I ever got.