The Beatles at Shea Stadium - the recording of

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
MrP

The Beatles at Shea Stadium - the recording of

Post by MrP »

I found this to be an interesting article when I read it this morning (year old article)
thought I would post link to it here
bit technical, but I found that interesting

https://www.mixonline.com/issue-type/be ... 35ryi6YN7w
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles at Shea Stadium - the recording of

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks. I've read that before and can't figure out how those two guys could have all that equipment and turn in what is probably the worst official live concert recording ever made. Missing bass, missing vocals, missing... well, everything in the song Help! They probably could have just stuck one mic in front of the stage and got a better result.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

LIVE stadium shows were a totally new thing. The nightmare of trying to send audio out through the PA so as not to have an echo nightmare was yet to be overcome. Recording such a performance? These guys who attempted to capture Shea were the pioneers. It's amazing to me all the post production that went into it: Using the Hollywood Bowl Twist And Shout audio; having the Beatles overdub their parts in sync to the film; and later on, flying in bits of the studio versions to beef up the low end. In a way, this project was the precursor to Kiss Alive.

Now I understand a bit better why we may never see and hear a proper complete version of the Shea concert as it happened.
Nairb1956

Post by Nairb1956 »

I was there at the Shea Stadium show of 15th August 1965. Didn't hear a SINGLE NOTE except for a blurb which I took to be "A Hard Day's Night." If they got a decent recording out of THAT venue, then it would have been nothing short of miraculous.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Nairb1956 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 am I was there at the Shea Stadium show of 15th August 1965. Didn't hear a SINGLE NOTE except for a blurb which I took to be "A Hard Day's Night." If they got a decent recording out of THAT venue, then it would have been nothing short of miraculous.
So nothing could be heard from all the white speaker columns on the playing field? I have always wondered about that.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

They'd just have to mic everything like they did for the Hollywood Bowl. Maybe need longer cables.

Someone should synchronize the Hollywood Bowl 1965 live audio to the Shea Stadium live footage.
Nairb1956

Post by Nairb1956 »

George Harrison said in The Beatles Anthology that VOX made special amps for that performance: 100 watts! :o

I did see a girl breach the outfield fence and made it half-way to the stage when she was intercepted by police. That resulted in a chorus of boos! That was ONE thing I did hear: Paul leading the boos as the screams subsided for a few seconds. The Beatles left the stage and immediately were guided to an ambulance, and then an armored van. At that point fans just poured onto the field and chased their van until it was off the field. The screams were UNBEARABLE! My ears were ringing until the next day.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Nairb1956 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:38 amThe screams were UNBEARABLE! My ears were ringing until the next day.
Must have been awful.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Nairb1956

Post by Nairb1956 »

It was painful for my ears, but seeing The Beatles was happy compensation! :D
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:00 pm Thanks. I've read that before and can't figure out how those two guys could have all that equipment and turn in what is probably the worst official live concert recording ever made. Missing bass, missing vocals, missing... well, everything in the song Help! They probably could have just stuck one mic in front of the stage and got a better result.
Wasn’t the line recording that’s out there some weird reference feed or something like that? The missing parts have to be(hopefully) on the original tape…