December 9th 1980 WPLJ

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Fun 4 None

December 9th 1980 WPLJ

Post by Fun 4 None »

Audiotape of WPLJ New York describing the recent assassination of Beatles member John Lennon.

Nairb1956

Re: December 9th 1980 WPLJ

Post by Nairb1956 »

Thank you for sharing this. Four years earlier, I met John and Yoko as well as their attorney Leon Wildes outside the Immigration and Naturalization office at 20 West Broadway, NYC. I was working next door at Morgan Guaranty Trust at 30 West Broadway.. (The building was destroyed in the 911 attacks and doesn't exist anymore). I was at my desk after coming back from my lunch break, when a co-worker (and fellow Beatle fan) George Chipanski walked by a few minutes later and said that John and Yoko were next door at Immigration and Naturalization (20 West Broadway, but part of the same building) with their lawyer Leon Wildes for a hearing. Realizing that I may never again have an opportunity to see a Beatle up close would never happen again, I bolted downstairs where a few people were gathered. I saw silent film actress Gloria Swanson, reporter Geraldo Rivera and the furure NYC mayor Ed Koch go into the building as sponsors for John's application his Green Card. Having already won his case the previous October (the day Sean was born), it was a formality that he was receiving his Green Card, Realizing that I may lose my job didn't matter to me as a 20 year old, so I continued to wait. Finally, the doors opened, and out came John, Yoko and their lawyer! To see them that close was a moment that took my breath away, and I was the first to greet them coming out as the press was still behind me! I said "congratulations John!" I then as nervous as hell and star struck, I asked him "is that your wife?" His answer was "no, that's me mother!" I asked him for an autograph and he obliged. By that time the press was swarming all around them. I do remember him saying to one reporter if he harbored any ill will toward his so-called enemies, "time wounds all heels." At that point I went back up to my desk, and sat back down. If anyone me being AWOL from my job, I honestly don't remember. I was still numb from the entire event!
The night of December 8th, I was working late, and a co-worker came up to me and said "I just heard on the radio that John Lennon was shot." I was actually thinking of taking the subway up to the Dakota, but I didn't want to contribute to the circus atmosphere.... The rest of the night was a blur...

thanks again for posting that.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Nairb1956 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:58 pm Thank you for sharing this. Four years earlier, I met John and Yoko as well as their attorney Leon Wildes outside the Immigration and Naturalization office at 20 West Broadway, NYC. I was working next door at Morgan Guaranty Trust at 30 West Broadway.. (The building was destroyed in the 911 attacks and doesn't exist anymore). I was at my desk after coming back from my lunch break, when a co-worker (and fellow Beatle fan) George Chipanski walked by a few minutes later and said that John and Yoko were next door at Immigration and Naturalization (20 West Broadway, but part of the same building) with their lawyer Leon Wildes for a hearing. Realizing that I may never again have an opportunity to see a Beatle up close would never happen again, I bolted downstairs where a few people were gathered. I saw silent film actress Gloria Swanson, reporter Geraldo Rivera and the furure NYC mayor Ed Koch go into the building as sponsors for John's application his Green Card. Having already won his case the previous October (the day Sean was born), it was a formality that he was receiving his Green Card, Realizing that I may lose my job didn't matter to me as a 20 year old, so I continued to wait. Finally, the doors opened, and out came John, Yoko and their lawyer! To see them that close was a moment that took my breath away, and I was the first to greet them coming out as the press was still behind me! I said "congratulations John!" I then as nervous as hell and star struck, I asked him "is that your wife?" His answer was "no, that's me mother!" I asked him for an autograph and he obliged. By that time the press was swarming all around them. I do remember him saying to one reporter if he harbored any ill will toward his so-called enemies, "time wounds all heels." At that point I went back up to my desk, and sat back down. If anyone me being AWOL from my job, I honestly don't remember. I was still numb from the entire event!
The night of December 8th, I was working late, and a co-worker came up to me and said "I just heard on the radio that John Lennon was shot." I was actually thinking of taking the subway up to the Dakota, but I didn't want to contribute to the circus atmosphere.... The rest of the night was a blur...

thanks again for posting that.
Thank you for sharing your story! I really cherish stories like these.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The day john died I had just gotten home from school and the news came over the radio. I then went in, stuck a cassette into my radio cassette recorder and started recording. It captured a normal afternoon interspersed with incredulous reports about the news and interviews with people in the street (some of whom couldn't have cared less, and made that very clear).

Later that night they played ALL of the Beatles Story radio series through the night (the BBC one) and I stayed awake through about hal;f of it before I finally fell asleep. But the chilling thing I remember is that before each epsisode they played the bit of working class hero where John sings, "There's room at the top they are telling you still/ But first you must learn how to smile as you kill". I had never heard that song before but it sends a chill down my spine even now just thinking about it.

I haven't listened to those tapes since.

Then I remember the next day, with Dickhead's photo plastered all over the front page. What was wrong with a photo of John then? The newspapers gave the guy exactly what he wanted - infamy.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:21 am The day john died I had just gotten home from school and the news came over the radio. I then went in, stuck a cassette into my radio cassette recorder and started recording. It captured a normal afternoon interspersed with incredulous reports about the news and interviews with people in the street (some of whom couldn't have cared less, and made that very clear).

Later that night they played ALL of the Beatles Story radio series through the night (the BBC one) and I stayed awake through about hal;f of it before I finally fell asleep. But the chilling thing I remember is that before each epsisode they played the bit of working class hero where John sings, "There's room at the top they are telling you still/ But first you must learn how to smile as you kill". I had never heard that song before but it sends a chill down my spine even now just thinking about it.

I haven't listened to those tapes since.

Then I remember the next day, with Dickhead's photo plastered all over the front page. What was wrong with a photo of John then? The newspapers gave the guy exactly what he wanted - infamy.
The worst was all the paparazzi getting their way into the hospital. Why didn't they just mourn John's loss instead of trying to milk every last cash grab for revenue. Screw the National Enquirer.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There's also that doctor who has claimed for 40 years that he tried to ressucitate John, describing on some occasions how he "literally held John's heart" in his hands. You've seen him in documentaries.

It turns out he had nothing to do with it. The real doctor who was on duty came forward a few years ago.

Just shows how low some people will stoop for publicity!
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:05 am There's also that doctor who has claimed for 40 years that he tried to ressucitate John, describing on some occasions how he "literally held John's heart" in his hands. You've seen him in documentaries.

It turns out he had nothing to do with it. The real doctor who was on duty came forward a few years ago.

It's just awful.
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:05 am There's also that doctor who has claimed for 40 years that he tried to ressucitate John, describing on some occasions how he "literally held John's heart" in his hands. You've seen him in documentaries.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... ve-6801080
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I love how the guy backtracks on his original story:

"I don’t remember who exactly held the knife. I certainly thought it was my hand on the knife. It may very well have been Dr Halleran’s and perhaps it was David who did open the chest. I’m not certain."

I have the BBC documentary where he is interviewed and he desribes in vivid detail exactly what he claimed happened, including the bit about massaging John's heart in his hands. Now suddenly he can't remember?
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Sometimes I watch news reports about John's death and hope they report he survived and I suddenly realise the last 42 years have been a bad dream of which I've just woken up from.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK