On the flanging effect

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: On the flanging effect

Post by Lord Reith »

bobzilla wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:52 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:38 am Btw I would pay zero credence to anything George Martin ever said. He meant well but had a memory like a goldfish.
The more I read things that contradict what George Martin said at some point, the more I wonder if he wasn't so much forgetting, but more just embellishing the story. I mean, we know he reinvented himself even before the Beatles met him, so why not continue through the Beatle years?
I guess in the entertainment business the truth is less important than a really good story!
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:59 pm I guess in the entertainment business the truth is less important than a really good story!
Right? And plus, for George, if the Beatles stock went up because of some good stories, his stock went up as well. It was a win win.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Probably less than 10% of The Beatles story as told by the key members is actually true.
Mixerrog

Post by Mixerrog »

My brothers & me came up with the so-called Flanging (we called it phasing at the time) effect when experimenting with reel to reel & vinyl record's recordings. We had just got a stereo reel to reel recorder in the mid 60s & were trying to find a way to convert mono to stereo. We would record a mono vinyl record onto our mono reel to reel recorder then play it back into one of the channels of the new stereo recorder with the other channel connected to the vinyl record player. The hardest part was getting the mono reel to reel close in sync to the record player at the start of the song but after several starts, we would get it close enough & then either slow down the record player with a hand on the record player platter or a hand on the supply real to slow it down. When the sync was close, you would get this neat sounding Flanging or Phasing effect to create a neat sounding fake stereo.

The song by the Arbors - The Letter ending is a great example of this sound effect but they mixed it down to mono for some reason which I have phased back to stereo a long time ago. There are digital tools to create the effect now.

Rog