So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
khundalini

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by khundalini »

I still use a classic stereo system, plus a surround system and two blu-ray players, as well as a cd player with a USB input that can also read high-resolution flacs. Most of my collection is on USB sticks.
The highlight is my Pro-Ject Yellow Submarine turntable.
I won't say anything about the quality of the components because that could lead to a dispute here.
I can accept all alternative playback options, but I like to have an expansive sound in the room.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

The point is we should be able to say what we're using, how we like it, etc. There is an inherent harmony to this forum, which still means something....to me anyway. I try to can my negativity. And it still creeps out occasionally. And I don't mind it when someone calls me out on it.
skynet

Post by skynet »

khundalini wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:33 pm I still use a classic stereo system, plus a surround system and two blu-ray players, as well as a cd player with a USB input that can also read high-resolution flacs. Most of my collection is on USB sticks.
I won't say anything about the quality of the components because that could lead to a dispute here.
I can accept all alternative playback options, but I like to have an expansive sound in the room.
Where is the "like" button for comments like this??
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Do a test! When you play tunes you like on whatever system and media you use, does your toe tap-? There you go!
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Good to see some smart comments.

Processing/display is where it's at, fidelity-wise.

Like many of us, I suspect I have the audio-visual version of Jurassic Park around the house. Turns out you may need a good Triceratops once in a while. Even have a Technicolor 8mm film cassette system. Someone once tried to give me a wire recorder, too. But good grief, you have to draw the line somewhere!

But for the purposes of playing the treasures posted herein, I've yet to find anything as efficient as these little digital media players. Do they have various drawbacks/spec differences? Sure - just like everything else (and especially given the supply chain vagaries of the pandemic years). Be happy to discuss those, rather than ill-informed comments of the "piece of junk" variety.
BeatleG

Post by BeatleG »

I use JRiver Media Center to play both audio and video (along with VLC which I use on the fly). I love the program. It's got tons of features. I'm not an audiophile though I appreciate good sound but I'm not as discerning as many others. I acquire and play flac files as much as possible these days but the bulk of my audio collection is still mp3s, 320kbps of course preferred but I'm OK with lesser bitrates when I want to hear songs I don't have at 320 or flac. JRiver does so many cataloging functions and has other features that are cool, including showing lyrics for many of the songs as I play tracks. I'm not familiar with other cataloging/playing media programs with the exception of iTunes which I used to load my iPod and still do for my iPad, so I can't compare JRiver with those programs.

Anyway, I love this group and I'll try to find ways to contribute. Thank you to all that post both files and text!
Attachments
JRiver movie snip.JPG
JRiver movie snip.JPG (382.77 KiB) Viewed 672 times
JRiver music Lennon snip.JPG
JRiver music Lennon snip.JPG (344.43 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

A little bit of funny. Remember wax cylinders?

Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Just to lighten the tone a bit, here's one for the dinosaurs amongst us (and that includes me).

rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:17 pm Remember wax cylinders?
My dad (founder of our family's original AV Jurassic Park) almost bought an Edison cylinder machine back in the '70s, but balked because the media was scarce. I did inherit his deluxe cabinet Victrola, where the horn went down into the fine woodwork, instead of standing atop the machine. It's big technical breakthrough was volume control, achieved by how far you opened or closed the cabinet doors.

Here's one of 1908's (and Edison's) biggest hits - a song that's still very familiar, though folks only sing the chorus these days.

Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

khundalini wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:33 pm I still use a classic stereo system, plus a surround system and two blu-ray players, as well as a cd player with a USB input that can also read high-resolution flacs. Most of my collection is on USB sticks.
The only way to listen/watch!