So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Nimbus

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by Nimbus »

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I still have a turntable (LP12), Amp/CD (Naim), cassette deck (Yamaha), MD deck (Sony) & speakers (Linn). All get used on a regular basis. All my music is also digitised and on a NAS drive which I can stream via the Naim. I also have a pair of Sennheiser wireless phones for late night listening. One thing I will say is that I've never sold or got rid of any of my LP's & CD's. They're all catalogued on Discogs and they'll probably be buried with me :) I still get a kick from finding decent LP's/CD's (and DVD's) in charity shops. There's never been a better time now that people are decluttering.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:54 pm
misterclaudel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm It's just your opinion and should have been stated that way......
I have no quarrel with you. I did not mean to make light of how we all like to enjoy our media. Having also come up in the 60’s and 70’s I’ve gone through sound systems big and small. From reel-to-reel to what I have now. I presume it’s a given that what we state here in this forum is a matter of opinion. So I don’t begin with the “IMO…” Did I come off as harsh? Perhaps on the written page. In person I am perhaps a bit cynical, but funny. I take no offense and I respect your statement.
Well said my boy. I'm sure you didn't mean to wind anyone up but unfortunately the written word can often be interpreted that way. We have a very harmonious community here and it's always best to assume that people mean well even if it doesn't seem that way at first. If people are trying to be nasty, it is usually very obvious.

I'm really enjoying reading the responses in this thread. I have an appletv and so could use Plex but haven't ever really looked into that. One of my main resrevations about using a computer for listening has always been all the noise the damn things make. Only recently I got a laptop with an SSD and it doesn't have a fan so is dead silent. But really I just prefer to use phones or tablets for streaming to speakers since they are so much more portable and convenient.

I love lps as physical objects but never play them. I would tend to play a rip made by someone with a much better turntable setup than mine. But I do like to hold them, look at them... and even smell them! :oops:
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

Phil_Lip wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 pm
beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:05 pm I noticed the Ain't She Sweet ATCO LP Cover.
Would that happen to be the Stereo LP?
I have been looking for a vinyl rip for that one for years.
Mike
Sorry, mono version.
Thanks for your response.
Mike
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 pm What about those prtable music players? I know there are still some that are meant to be audiophile and support flac etc, but does anyone actually use these?
I have a COWON media player which supports FLAC - my main device when commuting. It has the free space about 4 Gb - an ancient model from 2008, about a matchbox in size, has lost the part of its protective case that's on the back because I dropped it, but still works OK. Yes it supports FLAC, because that was my intention, to buy a media device with a FLAC option. I use Koss Porta Pro phones with it. The wire breaks now and then, but I'm an expert in resoldering :lol:

I also have a portable CD player :lol: :o :shock: which is from 2010 and is supposed to be workable, though I haven't used it for some years.

As for the home listening, I listen to everything on my PC, again with Koss phones. PC has a drive for DVD-R burning and a separate one for CD-R, though it's not like I have much use for them recently. If I need a BR drive, I have access to it at work. This covers pretty much all of my needs, though I have also a LP player, a CD player, a hi-fi system with speakers, a reel-to-reel, a cassette player - no need for these for many, many years.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Kinda surprised there's not more love being shown for digital media players. Especially considering they're perfect for the fine audio-visual booty you've all been blessing us with here.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

rtbcIII wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:44 pm Kinda surprised there's not more love being shown for digital media players. Especially considering they're perfect for the fine audio-visual booty you've all been blessing us with here.
Well I use a Fiio X5 thru my hi-fi via a line in and sometimes for on the move listening but as it's more convenient to use a phone I mostly now use my LG G5 with the Hi-Fi Plus by B&O module for that. I do think it sounds better than the X5 which did surprise me. But hey the reviews from back 2016 did say with the module fitted it could match many dedicated music players.

The X5 would be ideal for in-car if I have a aux/line in on the CD Radio unit...something I must sort.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

But the Fiio is audio-only - and at 3-4x price?
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

rtbcIII wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:27 pm But the Fiio is audio-only - and at 3-4x price?
Yes audio. That's what I am about. Rarely video.

What do you mean 'at 3-4x price'?? Compared to what?
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Micca G2 I use was 40 bucks. Plays everything I've thrown at it - audio, video, pics - via HDMI output.

Actually looking to upgrade, as there are now similarly-priced units with even better operational and video specs.

Sounds like you may be more focused on mobile/wireless apps. (btw - this unit can be used with a phone via same HDMI)
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Turntable: Riga RP1
Receiver: Tandberg TR2025

I still very much use my Blu-rays and DVD’S…but I also have loads and loads of video files on many thumb drives and those travel everywhere with me