So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Phil_Lip

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by Phil_Lip »

I use Plex and can access all my media wherever I am through laptop, mobile phone or directly via the TV apps. I stream the audio losslessly using Chromecast audio devices to amps in my lounge and study and smart speakers in other rooms. As it's also hooked up to a TV card, I can watch my home TV channels anywhere in the world.

Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Great discussion!

AT BEST, I can plug an iPod (or laptop or desktop, but not usually) into my late-1980s Sony STR-AV720 receiver via mini-jack>RCA adapter, output through mid-70s Erath speakers (12" woofers, 2 midrange, 2 tweeters) – Google them, VERY RARE, made in Houston TX. I've had them for 30 years. I also used to use a 1972 Sherwood receiver on a different set of 10" homemade speakers but those are put away, the speakers in pieces.

But since family and neighbors don't want or need to hear my tunes (except for maybe acoustic guitar-type mellow chill stuff), I'm usually at the computer with Audio-Technica headphones...

As for music formats, I was a teen in the mid-to-late '70s and am very familiar with the 8-track, the cassette, the vinyl. A friend had a reel-to-reel. And then the CDs and DVDs. I personally don't miss any of these at all. Needledrops, tape transfers, hi-res audio and video alike are all on a hard drive now, nice and tidy and compact and instantly accessible and portable.

Oddly enough I do not own any of the latest audio tech, though I have seen them in stores. I am not impressed with soundbars or bluetooth speakers – I also have some 1990's Cambridge Soundworks mini speakers with subwoofer that are pretty decent and IMO sound better than the stuff I see in the stores. Great for attaching to the iPod or computer via mini-jack for a very compact setup.

This new tech is probably fine if you just want background music and are not an audiophile. In my case, I am used to widely-spaced vintage-style stereo speakers with some punch... I need a man-cave to really enjoy them though!
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

skynet wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:02 pm
misterclaudel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm
Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:19 am As DVD's and BluRay discs, and for that matter, records, tapes, etc., are all obsolete, I tend to listen to all my media directly off my MacBook. I mostly plug the HDMI cable from my laptop into my Yamaha receiver and adjust the sound accordingly. More often than not, I'll set the audio processor on the Yamaha to "straight" so that whatever format the music file is in goes through unembellished. When I'm lazy, I'll simply send stereo or mono audio to the receiver using Airplay. And on lazier days, I'll just send the audio via bluetooth to my echo speaker.

I have a humongous collection of records, tapes, DVD's, etc. The last time I played an actual DVD was maybe a month ago, and then maybe several months before that. I haven't played tapes in over ten years. Records even longer than that.
to YOU Tapes, CD's maybe obsolete but tell the record companies that....CD sales rose Vinyl rose cassettes are coming back...do you not read about things like this? It's just your opinion and should have been stated that way......and if all media is "obsolete" then sell it all.....? You don't need it....

Before any argument boils down ;) let me play devil's advocate here, i get that is the way that Ziggy C sees it and is the way he likes to listen music, to each its own, for me those formats are not dead by any means, hence the reason of have all these devices available at home (hell i even have an AKAI 1710W reel to reel stereo tape deck, but that is safely stored, i do not have it connected) i think it varies depending in which generation you grew, if that is his preference, and if he enjoys it that way, good for him and i accept the viability of using files, and easiness of use, i mean is a practical way to listen music uninterrupted (The reason why i have an ipod and se180 connected to my system), but for me at least nothing beats the joy of playing an LP (for some it could be "boring" have to turn the disc over to play the other side, same with tapes), for me is still fun and love every time i open a brand new LP or even when i buy a used one, besides the fact of playing 5.1 DTS audio, and dolby atmos, nothing beats the real thing, not even that "monstrosity" (for me at least) of simulated Dolby atmos for headphones... it will never be the same as to have a physical setup and a nice system to reproduce it, i mean... Abbey Road kick some serious ass in Dolby Atmos, is a fuckin' joy listen to it that way man!
You hit it on the head Sir......I have an Akia Reel to Reel as well,,,,I have almost every port that music can play out of and the greatness of opening or just getting a Japanese OBI vinyl that sound AMAZING.......and that Abbey Road on Atmos does f*cking rock....to the CORE! Media is NOT dead it is thriving with this and other generations....I am working on the mystery of DVD-A's....man do they sound great but different files per album....don't get it and can't burn them....they sound great on my 5.1 set up on my PC....that really bothers the household .....but to each his own and it's the rhythm of the Ride.....
teegee

Post by teegee »

Phil_Lip wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:12 pm I use Plex and can access all my media wherever I am through laptop, mobile phone or directly via the TV apps. I stream the audio losslessly using Chromecast audio devices to amps in my lounge and study and smart speakers in other rooms. As it's also hooked up to a TV card, I can watch my home TV channels anywhere in the world.
With the exception of the TV card I have used Plex since 2014.
I have a dedicated NASdrive which allows me to access audio and video on my tv, soundbar, phones, chromecast etc.
Also use in conjunction with Plexamp.
Paid for a Lifetime Pass in 2015 and has been well worth it.
Plex allows me to organise my media as I want.
In addition I have an 8TB drive that I can chromecast video and audio to local devices and my TV - all good.
Got some quality Bose headphones with my pixel phone which are very good.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I’ve changed a lot over the years in how I listen to music. Vinyl to cassette to CD's to MP3 CD's. A lot of vinyl listening but that is winding down. I really want to simplify and reduce my physical media. I have purged a lot of CDs and I think the vinyl is next (keeping the Beatles and a few others of course). I have a lot of 7” that’s just collecting dust. My vintage turntable from the 70's still works so I think I will sell it before it stops performing, and sinceI not longer listen to surround sound, the rest of the equipment is bound for the marketplace.

These days I listen almost exclusively via my Bose Bluetooth speaker via my iPhone. I use lossless files even though I know it’s not lossless. I also use my Apple AirPod Max headphones a ton for simulated surround experience. I stream mostly offline files from my mega account. I used to sync via iTunes though I don't bother that much anymore. I do miss making playlists though.
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

Over the decades I've used about every stereo medium, but never owned an 8-Track. At home it's always been a stereo components system, first turntable and then CD. But for the car (and I spend a lot of time there) I started with cassette decks, then got a CD 10-disk changer, now a single CD player in the dash. But the CD player is now broken and too expensive to repair. My Civic has the MP3 player cable -- and that is a Godsend! I know we disdain MP3s, but in the car you don't notice the minor differences between lossy and non. You can put about 1,000 tracks on a flashdrive, if you want. I have flashdrives with folders for The Beatles only, Beatles solo, and non-Beatles artists. The entire Beatles released catalogue of LPs and singles fits nicely on a flashdrive. I can put the setting to random play and enjoy it immensely, like Fab Four only radio. I comprised a 320-track collection of my favorite 1960s music, released and bootleg. I also have a folder of 1970s favorites, and another for after that!
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

misterclaudel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm It's just your opinion and should have been stated that way......
I have no quarrel with you. I did not mean to make light of how we all like to enjoy our media. Having also come up in the 60’s and 70’s I’ve gone through sound systems big and small. From reel-to-reel to what I have now. I presume it’s a given that what we state here in this forum is a matter of opinion. So I don’t begin with the “IMO…” Did I come off as harsh? Perhaps on the written page. In person I am perhaps a bit cynical, but funny. I take no offense and I respect your statement.
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

Phil_Lip wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:12 pm I use Plex and can access all my media wherever I am through laptop, mobile phone or directly via the TV apps. I stream the audio losslessly using Chromecast audio devices to amps in my lounge and study and smart speakers in other rooms. As it's also hooked up to a TV card, I can watch my home TV channels anywhere in the world.

tt

I noticed the Ain't She Sweet ATCO LP Cover.
Would that happen to be the Stereo LP?
I have been looking for a vinyl rip for that one for years.
Mike
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:05 pm I noticed the Ain't She Sweet ATCO LP Cover.
Would that happen to be the Stereo LP?
I have been looking for a vinyl rip for that one for years.
Mike
Sorry, mono version.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.