So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by Lord Reith »

Let me say first that this isn't really a question about brands of speakers etc (although feel free to talk about that if you like) but more a question of what sort of setup you actually use to listen to music and watch videos.

I know a lot of people here still burn cds... do you play them also, or is it just to have something physical to put on the shelf?

I know some people also stream from their laptop, but I've never really delved into that and don't know anything about it.

What about those prtable music players? I know there are still some that are meant to be audiophile and support flac etc, but does anyone actually use these?

Sonos type speakers are another option I guess, although they seem to cost rather more than they should do.

Bluetooth speakers are no doubt the easiest option, but bluetooth is still iffy lossy quality (unless it's been upgraded recently).

Personally I use the now-discontinued Chromecast Audio, which accepts flacs from my phone. The best thing about this is that I don't need to use an expensive phone because it bypasses the onboard audio hardware. I know there is also a newer Chromecast video which has a hdmi output for connection to a DAC, but probably doesn't have the analogue audio ouput the Chromecast Audio had.

For video I convert to mkvs and watch them on my tv with a media player. I don't think I even have a dvd player anymore.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Gringo557

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by Gringo557 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 pm Let me say first that this isn't really a question about brands of speakers etc (although feel free to talk about that if you like) but more a question of what sort of setup you actually use to listen to music and watch videos.

I know a lot of people here still burn cds... do you play them also, or is it just to have something physical to put on the shelf?

I know some people also stream from their laptop, but I've never really delved into that and don't know anything about it.

What about those prtable music players? I know there are still some that are meant to be audiophile and support flac etc, but does anyone actually use these?

Sonos type speakers are another option I guess, although they seem to cost rather more than they should do.

Bluetooth speakers are no doubt the easiest option, but bluetooth is still iffy lossy quality (unless it's been upgraded recently).

Personally I use the now-discontinued Chromecast Audio, which accepts flacs from my phone. The best thing about this is that I don't need to use an expensive phone because it bypasses the onboard audio hardware. I know there is also a newer Chromecast video which has a hdmi output for connection to a DAC, but probably doesn't have the analogue audio ouput the Chromecast Audio had.

For video I convert to mkvs and watch them on my tv with a media player. I don't think I even have a dvd player anymore.
I watch/listen to everything on a large screen TV with a good sound system. I used to put a USB into the blu ray player but now I have a digital player that plays everything. When I listen to the headphones, THAT'S when I start noticing a crappy mix.
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

On a record Player......
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I have a turntable but don't use it much. I am in the continual process of extracting my CDs onto two hard drives (one backup), listing them in my database, and linking each entry in the database to a sound file. With one click, they play through my stereo out of an old version of Winamp before it became bloatware, via my Focusrite USB sound card / audio interface. I can also play any file out of Everything, the search program. It will open them up in Winamp, too.

I had to reinstall Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago, and haven't watched any video yet, though I assume it will open in the Win10 program Movies &TV.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
skynet

Post by skynet »

i have an MX123, all my devices are hocked there,

Analog

- turntable PRO-JECT Debut Carbon EVO
- Sansui D-90 Tape Deck

- Hoocked to the hdmi ports are:

- DVD Player Sony DVP-NS700 HP, which i mainly use to play CDs (originals mainly and whenever i get to burn anything)
- BD Player 4K Sony
- Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - i place the FLAC files in this one from the computer and then Hoock it back to the MX123
- 160 GB Ipod, similar use to the SE180
- PlayStation 3
- PlayStation 4

USB Port is free for thumb drives whenever i want to play video files (same as the SE180 and the 160 GB Ipod, computer then hook it back to the receiver) or usb directly connected to TV

- Video Output: Sony 65 inch smart tv sony

- Speakers: Dolby Atmos configuration

On my Computer i have a set of stereo Bluetooth speakers connected for "casual" listening or sampling audio/video before i decide if i keep it or delete it

in respect to audio (regardless of my wife constant complaints) i spare no expenses (as John Hammond used to say :D )... i love music so much (Beatles music in particular) that for me you cannot put limits to it, is an expensive Hobbie? yes, is worth it? of course!
Last edited by skynet on Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

As DVD's and BluRay discs, and for that matter, records, tapes, etc., are all obsolete, I tend to listen to all my media directly off my MacBook. I mostly plug the HDMI cable from my laptop into my Yamaha receiver and adjust the sound accordingly. More often than not, I'll set the audio processor on the Yamaha to "straight" so that whatever format the music file is in goes through unembellished. When I'm lazy, I'll simply send stereo or mono audio to the receiver using Airplay. And on lazier days, I'll just send the audio via bluetooth to my echo speaker.

I have a humongous collection of records, tapes, DVD's, etc. The last time I played an actual DVD was maybe a month ago, and then maybe several months before that. I haven't played tapes in over ten years. Records even longer than that.
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:00 pm ... I know there is also a newer Chromecast video which has a hdmi output for connection to a DAC, ...
Yes, that's the way I do it when I want the music played on my old analogue HiFi set in the living room, so the whole family can benefit and listen to the long version of REVOLUTION 1 (the "mother" of all remixes ;) ), for instance.
Sometimes (and I don't know why :?: ), they're not in the mood. In this case I use headphones.
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:19 am As DVD's and BluRay discs, and for that matter, records, tapes, etc., are all obsolete, I tend to listen to all my media directly off my MacBook. I mostly plug the HDMI cable from my laptop into my Yamaha receiver and adjust the sound accordingly. More often than not, I'll set the audio processor on the Yamaha to "straight" so that whatever format the music file is in goes through unembellished. When I'm lazy, I'll simply send stereo or mono audio to the receiver using Airplay. And on lazier days, I'll just send the audio via bluetooth to my echo speaker.

I have a humongous collection of records, tapes, DVD's, etc. The last time I played an actual DVD was maybe a month ago, and then maybe several months before that. I haven't played tapes in over ten years. Records even longer than that.
to YOU Tapes, CD's maybe obsolete but tell the record companies that....CD sales rose Vinyl rose cassettes are coming back...do you not read about things like this? It's just your opinion and should have been stated that way......and if all media is "obsolete" then sell it all.....? You don't need it....
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

I listen to CDS & CD-R'S on my small Sony Box radio,and also the flac/mp3 files on my DELL Laptop.
I also have an old AIWA Shelf Stereo that is still in very good condition,but when it comes to playing CD-R'S,
its potluck if they will play.lol
Most of LPS/45's are old with static and some have scratches.
My Cassette tapes will not play in the AIWA Shelf stereo,but some will play in the Sony Box radio.
My guess is that some Cassettes won't play because the are old and worn out.
I watch DVD-S on my LG DVD player.
I have a lot of VHS tapes,but I can't watch them since the VCR does not work.
Mike
skynet

Post by skynet »

misterclaudel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm
Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:19 am As DVD's and BluRay discs, and for that matter, records, tapes, etc., are all obsolete, I tend to listen to all my media directly off my MacBook. I mostly plug the HDMI cable from my laptop into my Yamaha receiver and adjust the sound accordingly. More often than not, I'll set the audio processor on the Yamaha to "straight" so that whatever format the music file is in goes through unembellished. When I'm lazy, I'll simply send stereo or mono audio to the receiver using Airplay. And on lazier days, I'll just send the audio via bluetooth to my echo speaker.

to YOU Tapes, CD's maybe obsolete but tell the record companies that....CD sales rose Vinyl rose cassettes are coming back...do you not read about things like this? It's just your opinion and should have been stated that way......and if all media is "obsolete" then sell it all.....? You don't need it....

Before any argument boils down ;) let me play devil's advocate here, i get that is the way that Ziggy C sees it and is the way he likes to listen music, to each its own, for me those formats are not dead by any means, hence the reason of have all these devices available at home (hell i even have an AKAI 1710W reel to reel stereo tape deck, but that is safely stored, i do not have it connected) i think it varies depending in which generation you grew, if that is his preference, and if he enjoys it that way, good for him and i accept the viability of using files, and easiness of use, i mean is a practical way to listen music uninterrupted (The reason why i have an ipod and se180 connected to my system), but for me at least nothing beats the joy of playing an LP (for some it could be "boring" have to turn the disc over to play the other side, same with tapes), for me is still fun and love every time i open a brand new LP or even when i buy a used one, besides the fact of playing 5.1 DTS audio, and dolby atmos, nothing beats the real thing, not even that "monstrosity" (for me at least) of simulated Dolby atmos for headphones... it will never be the same as to have a physical setup and a nice system to reproduce it, i mean... Abbey Road kick some serious ass in Dolby Atmos, is a fuckin' joy listen to it that way man!