So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by Lord Reith »

ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:56 am
I just bought a card for my new phone and went for 256gb...so same total. Did I not learn my lesson last time? Well anything bigger was much dearer per gb which I just couldn't justify.
There was a 500gb that had just come out when I bought the 256, but it was pricey and I wasn't sure if the 256 would even work (not according to my phone's specs, but it does). Now they must be cheaper though surely because that was a few years ago now.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Saw this thread late, but here goes:
I’m an odd fish, and old fashioned, living in a 3-apartment and occasionally in our summer house. I have definitely kept way too many things over the years. I listened to and worked with audio a lot way back, especially while making The Beatles Swedish fan club magazines for 11 years, now it’s almost just listening to The Beatles variations I have time for. Don’t use streaming services, must buy DVD’s and CD’s and vinyls. I just have to have something physical to look at and hold in my hands.
Nowadays I mostly save things digitally on 3 Synology NAS’s (each with 2 WD Red 12TB discs) but occasionally burn DVD’s and CD’s, sometimes doing artwork to print.
I also plan to go through my old VHS’s and digitize what’s worth saving to DVD, same with DAT tapes and reel-to-reel tapes and cassettes etc (to CD probably - in case it hasn’t been shared here I will upload then).
I have 3 Tascam reel-to-reels, several cassette players (Technics mostly), Pioneer DVD player, Sony Mini-Disc player, 2 Tascam DAT’s, several CD players (TEAC, Technics and others, the one I mainly use is a Luxman) and lots of 19” rack mounted analogue studio effects I seldom use now. 3 vinyl players (Technics), 2 stereo amps (Sony, Technics) and monitors (Tannoy) plus speakers (Carlson etc) and a selection of headphones (AKG, Sony). Also have 3 recording systems with mixers etc from Tascam and Roland, the first (Tascam 2488) recorded 8-tracks on high speed chrome cassettes, second 16 tracks 24-bit on hard drive (Roland VS-1680) - it connects through SCSI so I’ve kept 3 old Mac computers that can handle those, and newest Tascam P-24 (24 tracks on SD-cards). Also 2 Zoom handheld recorders (H2, H4n). TV with 2.1 amp (small speakers/useless sub) to watch news, Pioneer DVD-R burner, Pioneer VHS player. To my 5 Mac computers I have CD and DVD-player/burners (using Toast) and a Pioneer Blu-ray player/burner.
Downstairs I have a 55” Sony TV, 2 surround systems (Pioneer, Marantz) with separate floor/wall speakers/sub’s (Jamo/Canton, B&W/Argon), Pioneer DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD player, Sony Blu-ray player, Pioneer VHS player. Mini system with CD player (Philips?) and a smaller Wurlitzer copy cassette player with lights (cool). Kitchen TV with DVD player and 2.1 amp (speakers/sub), Sony VHS player and something else I can’t remember now as we’re not at home.
The third apartment is slowly becoming my Beatle room, there’s a 40-something” Samsung TV, my old 1957 Philips 22” b&w analogue TV I saw The Beatles on the first time, 2 Pioneer DVD players, Technics amp with floor speakers, Sony surround system with speakers/sub, Lenco L75 vinyl player, B&O 2000 reel-to-reel, a few mini systems with CD players (JVC), old Philips radio-gramophone (sadly without the tube radio but with the 78 rpm disc player), my first record player (small Philips). And tons of Beatles vinyls, CD’s, DVD’s (incl bootlegs), books, magazines, instruments. 2 Mac computers, etc.
Summer house Grundig 55” TV with NEC surround amp (CD/DVD player), wall speakers/sub (Canton/Dantax), Panasonic Blu-ray player. Kitchen TV Sony with 2.1 amp (CD/DVD player) speakers/sub. Several mini-systems here and there (Technics, Panasonic, JVC etc with CD players). Two Mac computers and hard drives, one 2TB I use for transport home. Guess that’s it (apart from everything else) :) Robert
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

beatlesnyttigt wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:43 am Saw this thread late, but here goes:
I’m an odd fish, and old fashioned, living in a 3-apartment and occasionally in our summer house. I have definitely kept way too many things over the years. I listened to and worked with audio a lot way back, especially while making The Beatles Swedish fan club magazines for 11 years, now it’s almost just listening to The Beatles variations I have time for. Don’t use streaming services, must buy DVD’s and CD’s and vinyls. I just have to have something physical to look at and hold in my hands.
Guess that’s it (apart from everything else) :) Robert
Hello, Robert!
I notice that you don't have a Sony BETAmax!
Are you geared up for Quadraphonic Reels and LPs?
Also, you probably have a small library of Owners Manuals, Instructions, Quick Set-Up charts, pamphlets, Warranties, etc.
Do you have more cordless remotes OR the original corded variety.
Rechargeable batteries must be all varieties...
So, who's the technician?
And do you use authentic replacement parts or is the correct measurement all that is required to order a belt?
Have you ever lost a device from electrical storms, surges, etc.?
Finally, do you use any cloud storage and do you have a novelty opinion about any vintage technologies that have come and gone?
Congratulations on coming to terms with an ever changing world of electronics!
If you ever have a website about the pros and cons of equipment, please let us know!
Thanks for the list!
KC
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Hello Kwai!
No I somehow missed the Betamax train as I had some quite good (as I thought then) VHS portable recorders to work with and at least 2 VHS players so I could copy and edit (must have looked terrible but then I was just as happy to get something viewable on screen as the customers were).
Also I don't have any quadraphonics - I have a friend who had a Quad system way back and I was not overly impressed, but there are plenty of old instructions books and pamphlets etc in the basement, as well as remotes and battery chargers (although all those in a big bag were stolen for some reason when I had a break-in in my basement storage last month, together with other things). I usually to do the simpler repairs and fixes myself, but I had 2 guys helping me previously but they are retired now so I just keep my fingers crossed that the things will work when I eventually turn them on again. I usually try to find original parts but if they are not available I have to find something that just meets the requirements. Haven't lost anything yet due to malfunctioning or electrical storms (no that was a lie, I have 2 Zoom DA7 DAT recorders in a bag waiting for me to try and repair them - guess I won't as I don't have any use for them anymore). And finally, no I don't use any cloud storage as I have way too many TB's and it would cost me a smaller fortune to have it there - and then, where can I store it if I take it back? It's risky with hard drives as they sooner or later crash (it's happened to me many times over the years, and it costs a lot to get the items on them back as I don't back them up - the NAS's I have started with now duplicates one hard dish to the other). I used to have a website but it's been down for years, I know a lot (a bit) about older audio equipment, and many of them are somehow better functioning than today's computer programs, at least it's easier to work faders with your fingers than on a screen. Kindest greetings :) Robert