So how do you play your audio/video?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Re: So how do you play your audio/video?

Post by Lord Reith »

Yes I was actually just more interested in the actual means of playing/watching than any brands. Seems there's a wide range of options people use, actually far wider than I had expected. I haven't seen a portable media player since the ipod first appeared, but then in my country you can hardly buy anything anyway.

I was having an annoying problem with chromecast audio where it would periodically disconnect. Looking online I found that many others had the same complaint, and Google in its usual helpful and considerate way had just shut down the thread (and the next one... and the next one). However I discovered that by listening to the music via the "song queue" screen on my player rather than the actual album screen, it doesn't do this. No idea why, but if anyone else has had that problem that may be your answer.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

BeatleG wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:14 pm I use JRiver Media Center to play both audio and video (along with VLC which I use on the fly). I love the program...
I dig J-River, too! I use it primarily to play SACD iso's. It handles the stereo and surround files very nicely. The different roads to organizing and finding my stuff is very helpful. VLC is also in frequent use for my non-BluRay media. For BluRay, I'm using BluRay Player Pro.
studio_two

Post by studio_two »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:21 pm I'm really enjoying reading the responses in this thread. I have an appletv and so could use Plex but haven't ever really looked into that. One of my main resrevations about using a computer for listening has always been all the noise the damn things make.
My Plex server runs on a Raspberry Pi. So, it is silent and low power.

The only issue here is that it probably won’t be powerful enough to re-encode content on the fly. So, you need to make sure that everything is in a format that is supported natively by your AppleTV.
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:54 pm
misterclaudel wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm It's just your opinion and should have been stated that way......
I have no quarrel with you. I did not mean to make light of how we all like to enjoy our media. Having also come up in the 60’s and 70’s I’ve gone through sound systems big and small. From reel-to-reel to what I have now. I presume it’s a given that what we state here in this forum is a matter of opinion. So I don’t begin with the “IMO…” Did I come off as harsh? Perhaps on the written page. In person I am perhaps a bit cynical, but funny. I take no offense and I respect your statement.
And as do I respect your statement.....now put down the pistol and turn around....no firing!
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Typically, I listen to music/watch movies on my phone. I find it really convenient because then I don't have to bust out my PC. Also, I can use this app on my phone called "Last.fm", which allows me to log all the music I listen to on VLC/Apple Music/Spotify.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
eclipsed1

Post by eclipsed1 »

I have a Turntable, along with CD and Cassette and Reel to Reel, all of which I use frequently.
Not burning CDs any more, as they started taking up too much space, so I have several external hard drives where I archive all my digital downloads, and can play them through my desktop computer or in my laptop wired into my stereo system.
On the go, I have three Ipod Classics, (a 80Gb, a 160Gb, and a 512 Gb) so there's plenty of space for any music I might want while away from home.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I stuck a 256gb micro SD card in my phone thinking it would be all the space I need. But I'm gonna have to get a 500gb one I think because I'm always having to delete stuff to fit new things. I also like the idea of having videos on my phone (I still can't comprehend that one can fit 100 dvds on something the size of my fingernail).

However it seems that more and more of the "ordinary folk" out there don't even have flacs or mp3s any more. Anyone I talk to under 30 seems to own no music whatsoever. They own a subscription to a streaming service, which essentially means that something else owns them. I'm not putting down the massive benefits offered by streaming services, but the notion of not actually physically possessing any music is utterly alien to me. And frankly it is also a little sad.

I also think that the streaming services are waiting patiently for all physical media sales to end. Then the cost of subscriptions will begin to rise, and may eventually even be on a pay-per-listen basis. In a world where there is no more physical media, they will be free to do as they like and charge what they want.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 pmI also think that the streaming services are waiting patiently for all physical media sales to end. Then the cost of subscriptions will begin to rise, and may eventually even be on a pay-per-listen basis.
That's why I've acquired analog and/or digital representations of nearly 200,000 recordings.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

mojofilter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:27 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 pmI also think that the streaming services are waiting patiently for all physical media sales to end. Then the cost of subscriptions will begin to rise, and may eventually even be on a pay-per-listen basis.
That's why I've acquired analog and/or digital representations of nearly 200,000 recordings.
Bloody hell it must be like the Library Of Congress at your place!
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 pm I stuck a 256gb micro SD card in my phone thinking it would be all the space I need. But I'm gonna have to get a 500gb one I think because I'm always having to delete stuff to fit new things. I also like the idea of having videos on my phone (I still can't comprehend that one can fit 100 dvds on something the size of my fingernail).

However it seems that more and more of the "ordinary folk" out there don't even have flacs or mp3s any more. Anyone I talk to under 30 seems to own no music whatsoever. They own a subscription to a streaming service, which essentially means that something else owns them. I'm not putting down the massive benefits offered by streaming services, but the notion of not actually physically possessing any music is utterly alien to me. And frankly it is also a little sad.

I also think that the streaming services are waiting patiently for all physical media sales to end. Then the cost of subscriptions will begin to rise, and may eventually even be on a pay-per-listen basis. In a world where there is no more physical media, they will be free to do as they like and charge what they want.
Similar experience with my Fiio. It takes 2 SD cards so I loaded with 2 x 128gb thinking I'd not fill them in a hurry. For some time I had plenty of room then gradually the curve got steeper...until eventually both full! Took a few months only.

I just bought a card for my new phone and went for 256gb...so same total. Did I not learn my lesson last time? Well anything bigger was much dearer per gb which I just couldn't justify.