What do we want released the most?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Yellowsubmarine

Re: What do we want released the most?

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

Yeah, Paul has got the Cavern tape, which he bought in 1985. But Mark Lewisohn said the quality was awful.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:44 am The ongoing discussion with regards to the first three choices leads me to conclude that there would be nothing new to glean from the existing footage. Neither Washington nor Shea would show significant improvement in picture as BluRay releases. Let It Be, let's face it, is a real downer of a film. I've horked all the different versions that have been posted. Still don't hardly ever watch it. And those rare times when I do, it's never to watch the whole film.
I suppose Washington would look the same as itunes, but Shea and LIB would be considerably better than what we have. Among many of the "average" fans these are two of the most requested releases.

I would say that the chances of an "Early Years" or any further BBC release is exactly zero. At least not in this century.
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

I would also like a BBC vol 3 if there was new/unheard/improved stuff.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

I'd really like a collector's CD single
1. Helter skelter take 3
2. Any complete take of the second version of while my guitar gently weeps
3. When I'm sixty four piano version
4. Jamming which turned into baby you're a rich man
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:52 am Don't think you can do polls here, but from a list of these 5 things what do you want to see released most? I'm not including future Deluxe Editions because they are more or less dead certs. No cheating and inserting your own wants! :P

1/ Shea bluray

2/ Let It Be bluray

3/ Washington bluray

4/ An official collection of all the early material (eg: Decca, Cavern, People And Places etc)

5/ On Air At The BBC Volume 3.

Mine would be 4 and I make no apologies.

Agreed.
We've seen some kind of version of all of the others, but Apple have bought up a lot of early tapes that we've never heard anything of.

It's difficult to understand why they'd spend money buying up stuff they don't intend to make public in some way, unless it's some misguided, belated effort to project an image of Beatle perfection by preventing bootleggers releasing something imperfect.

If it were left to Apple the company, with no Beatle opinions to consider, I reckon we'd have it all by now. In an over-priced box-set, designed to maximise profit, but we'd have it.
It's got to be a Beatle (or their estate) who has vetoed releasing the early stuff.

It will all see the light of day one day. When all of the Beatles' grandchildren's children agree that they'd like a bit more money now please and never mind if Paul and Ringo wanted them released or not.
The people that hear them will learn a lot from them, but they will never enjoy them in the way we would have.

I suppose that before the internet, it was possible that some bootlegger with deep pockets would've outbid Apple for some of these tapes, knowing he'd make a fortune, whatever the quality.

These days its all "What? A previously unknown recording of the Beatles playing for EMI executives in 63? Cleaned up and remastered? Online and for free? Gimme! What's next?"
None of us paid a penny for it, that's why there's no rich bootleggers any more.
If any more old tapes come onto the market, it's probably now a toss-up between an anonymous private collector buying it and hoarding it or Apple buying it and hoarding it just the same.
At least Apple aren't likely to die and have their widow throw their tapes out.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

I'm with you, I'd vote #4 too. I thought Peter Jackson blew it when he didn't include the complete Cavern performance of "Some Other Guy" during the introduction segment for Get Back. Errr!

And I know I'm not supposed to add, but the Hollywood Bowl '64 was filmed. I wish they would just edit the footage together, they already have the soundtrack done!!! Where's Ron Howard when you need him?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Shea stadium complete with the correct audio and almost definitely Let it Be…preferably the original extended version
Tex

Post by Tex »

The 1967 jams.

The still unreleased alternate versions of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Ob La Di Ob La Da"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It occurred to me today that Apple actually hate the early Beatles. Live At the BBC in 1994 had fairly poor promotion. Then we got nothing from the early Beatles for 19 years, and we all know the only reason they issued some more BBC stuff in 2013 was because the copyrights were due to lapse.

Nearly a decade later... still nothing. Not even a radio special, or a dvd documentary.

I suppose we'll get the early albums as special editions one day, but I'll bet you they are shorter and done with far less care than the later ones.

As for Cavern, BBC, early tv, Decca, Star Club, Quarrymen etc... well, all I can say is that I'm glad we have the boots!