Peter & Gordon - Woman (unreleased version acetate)

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
20YearsAgo

Re: Peter & Gordon - Woman (unreleased version acetate)

Post by 20YearsAgo »

I'm familiar with the group buy thing you mentioned. If I recall, a bunch of people got together in a coordinated bid for a rare acetate. The amount of money people chipped in was at their own discretion. I think some people chipped in several hundred dollars or pounds, while others chipped in maybe twenty five dollars (which was about the price of a new bootleg cd back then). If I recall, the acetate sold for perhaps a couple thousand dollars. No one in that, um, syndicate would've been able to afford to buy the acetate but, by pooling resources, they were all able to hear it.

[The significance of the track, for some, was that this was supposedly Paul's first-ever drumming session work.]

If this track was given to you in trust that you not share it, well, taking it upon yourself to release it to others sounds underhanded. The net effect would be to deter other possible future group buy efforts. In effect, there was a tacit limited license agreement-- people pitched in some money in exchange for the right to listen and enjoy the track amongst themselves but not further disseminate or distribute it.

There's two issues at play:

1) whether collectors should hoard their holdings and not let others enjoy the fruits of their collections
2) whether people should break their promises and feel free to disregard whatever pledges they've made.

All that being said, I'd be curious if these tracks haven't already been booted. And also curious if, perhaps, we're talking about two different sets of "Woman" tracks.

Misterclaudel's BIRDS SING OUT OF TUNE Vol 2 (MCCD 323) contained a number of different P&G "Woman" versions. Is what you have included on this boot?

hxxps://we.tl/t-MqTLAQJvVj
Golem

Post by Golem »

alphabeatles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:55 pm
Golem wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:27 pmBut from what it sounds like, the people who bought it are a bunch of hoarders who don't deserve pity for the audio leaking.
Speaking for myself, I'm all for rare items seeing the light of day. What's the point of holding back rare stuff after 50-60 years?

But in this particular case, I was not the sole purchaser of the item and can't make a decision for the entire group (however many people it was). An agreement was made, and it's honorable to stick to it. Otherwise what's the point of agreements?

If more who contributed come along and say it's no big deal, that would be great and everybody can finally hear these.

In the meantime, I did steer you toward alternate sources which are already "out there", so there's that...
Like I said, if you have any promise or obligation you are totally in your rights not to share it. I don't mind if people don't share stuff due to promises they need to keep, or fear of legal issues, what I do mind is when people don't share stuff for the sole reason of wanting to keep it for themselves (which I don't think is the fault of anyone here, more so someone in the og group who bought it)
Last edited by Golem on Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 pmMisterclaudel's BIRDS SING OUT OF TUNE Vol 2 (MCCD 323) contained a number of different P&G "Woman" versions. Is what you have included on this boot?
No, the acetate is dry.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

alphabeatles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:17 pm
rtbcIII wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:07 pm If the previous claim is correct, seems someone else may have already released those tracks in the wild. Does someone have that release to confirm?
I PM'd Mojo the coltturkey tracks to confirm or not.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 pmMisterclaudel's BIRDS SING OUT OF TUNE Vol 2 (MCCD 323) contained a number of different P&G "Woman" versions. Is what you have included on this boot?
Wait, track 7 of this MC boot is mislabeled (or misnumbered in the upload) and DOES match Side A of the acetate from Mojo, with the following exceptions:

1) Different EQ (brighter)
2) Short echo of something right at the beginning
3) Several seconds are missing from the end
Last edited by alphabeatles on Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

rtbcIII wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:34 pm
alphabeatles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:17 pm
rtbcIII wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:07 pm If the previous claim is correct, seems someone else may have already released those tracks in the wild. Does someone have that release to confirm?
I PM'd Mojo the coltturkey tracks to confirm or not.
To my eyes and ears the tracks are the same.
Beatles4Ever

Post by Beatles4Ever »

I didn't read over the entire 4 pages in this thread but I'll add my 2 cents.

To mojofilter:

First of all, if you didn't participate in the purchase of the track and you got it because you were part of the private forum that supplied you with it....doesn't give you the right to betray all the people involved in the purchase. If I recall correctly....it wasn't cheap to purchase.

If for some reason you can't see that....and you don't have a conscious about posting it and betraying a whole bunch of people, I'll simply bring it up with the Admin here and it will get removed.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:28 pm I didn't read over the entire 4 pages in this thread but I'll add my 2 cents.

To mojofilter:

First of all, if you didn't participate in the purchase of the track and you got it because you were part of the private forum that supplied you with it....doesn't give you the right to betray all the people involved in the purchase. If I recall correctly....it wasn't cheap to purchase.

If for some reason you can't see that....and you don't have a conscious about posting it and betraying a whole bunch of people, I'll simply bring it up with the Admin here and it will get removed.
that's not a rule
CostaRica2022

Post by CostaRica2022 »

Golem wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:01 am
Beatles4Ever wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:28 pm I didn't read over the entire 4 pages in this thread but I'll add my 2 cents.

To mojofilter:

that's not a rule
It's doesn't have to be. It is 'privately' own by those that paid to participate in the purchase and an agreement was made NOT to share outside the forum. I am one of the people in the group that paid for the rare tape and after hearing a comment like yours I am against sharing it here. Pure and simple.
RubberSolof

Post by RubberSolof »

I also contributed to get it and feel that if a promise was made not to share not just to one person but a whole group (not that that matters), then that promise should be kept. It is not so much a "Hey it's been 50 years and people have a right to hear it" thing. It's a moral "Do what's right and be true to your word" thing.

It only sets hugely bad precedence if you don't. As my parents would say "I'd be very disappointed in you" if you decided to do this.

-RubberSolof