Peter & Gordon - Woman (unreleased version acetate)

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
mojofilter

Peter & Gordon - Woman (unreleased version acetate)

Post by mojofilter »

In August 2013, when I was one of the administrators on another board, some of the members pitched in actual cash to purchase at auction an acetate of Peter & Gordon's "Woman." They won it. Paul had discussed this version one morning of the "Get Back" sessions, when he arrived before the others. He spent some time talking with the crew and director about it, and demonstrating it on the piano.

It was agreed between all members that Julien's Auctions in London should send it to my home address where I volunteered to record and remaster this disc. While it was in my possession, it was put up for auction on eBay, and was bought by a person in Austria. When I was done with it, I posted the disc to the board, but it was available only to people who had contributed cash to its purchase. Then I sent it on to a purchaser in Austria.

Since then, a version of mix #1 has been posted to various internet sites, taken from a radio program where Peter Asher was interviewed, and the first side of the acetate was broadcast from tape source, just the one time. The second remix (RM 4) has never been posted by me, anywhere at any time since 2013. It is pretty much the same as the first side, except the vocals and drums (we are crediting to Paul) are louder in the mix. I like this mix better.

The reason why I am posting this message is to see if there is still anyone here who paid for it who would object if I posted both sides of this disc. It has been a long time, and almost no one has heard it, particularly side 2. If you invested in the purchase of this disc and would not like for the "rare" side to be posted, then I will not do it. On the other hand, if no one objects, I might be willing to post the best iterations of both sides to this board. Once. That's all you'll get. This is a public board, and it'll be on a FAB or Misterclaudel CD, or somebody else's silver CD from Japan next week. So you guys decide. Would you like it, or would you rather that I kept a secret? I'm only going to live for so long, and if nobody else gets to hear it, well they lose - not me, because I know what it sounds like, and I love it. Your opinions?
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
moptophugger

Re: Peter & Gordon - Woman (unreleased version acetate)

Post by moptophugger »

I think you should release as this particular mix, RM4, could become lost at any moment.
joguema

Post by joguema »

Hi Mojo,

I remember that I participated in the buying of a Cilla Black tape in ca. 2006, but I can't remember to also have participated in the Peter & Gordon tape. Presently I don't have the time to go through thousands of CD-Rs and look for it.

If you have a list of the names who participated and my name is there, please note that my answer is: Yes, share it here.

Jo
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I have no list of any usernanes who participated in the purchase of this acetate from Julien's Auctions. I was unwilling to take part in any aspect of soliciting or receiving of any money from anyone. The board owner was responsible for that. I offered to record and decliick the record because I know how. I played both sides only once, on a $2000 turntable. After having done so, members on the board had effusive praise for my "gentle" remastering of the disc. So I do not have any access to a list of people who contributed to the purchase of this disc, however much it cost, and what was done with the proceeds. That would be the provenance of the douchebag who organized it.
CostaRica2022

Post by CostaRica2022 »

I paid and was a reciever of a copy which I still have. I'm not sure how to react or how any of the other paid members would feel about it since it 'was' an exclusive offering for those that did pay.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Probably wise to keep this under your hat, mojo. Taking it upon yourself to release something that others have paid for and pledged to keep to themselves doesn't sound right.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Well, I'm sorry I brought it up, then. I can only imagine who posted both versions at Hobs' club, as I was never a member there. It's a shame that no one will ever get to hear it.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Parlogram sold this in 2015 and supplied 1 minute samples from each mix, even on youtube. I hope these at least are widely spread.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

If it was purchased by Andrew, I hope he was glad that I provided a CD-R with both sides remastered, along with the record, so he'd never have to subject it to another playing. I have a lot of respect for that guy, and the things he knows about Beatles recordings.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

So if you don't know who the original purchasers were... I was totally all of them and I give you my permission to share. :lol: