Can’t But Me Love multi color pressing

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Can’t But Me Love multi color pressing

Post by WilliamShears »

Has anyone heard of this one before??

RunoutGroove

Re: Can’t But Me Love multi color pressing

Post by RunoutGroove »

I'm no expert on this, but the way to date and locate the pressing on these is to look at where the orange swirl passes the last '0' in the 5150.
Some pressings have the '0' completely filled in with orange, others half way and still others miss the swirl entirely and are yellow.

I don't have the dates on the above, but a comparison should be easily done if you can match Jack White's copy with a known label date and pressing plant.

Looks very cool though!!!
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Yeah, there were a few of these one-offs made and I think there were a couple of other artists who had records pressed this way.
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

Blow the picture up. The label is not quite right.
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

What? No picture sleeve?
Then, it's worthless!
That thing is not from 1964.
And, even if it was...so what.
You cannot create collectables.
Rogue employee at a pressing plant?
Honor dies where interest lies.
La Gioconda in yellow and black would be more believable.
KC
Chicagofanforever 5+

Post by Chicagofanforever 5+ »

Totally agree with KC
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Well I learned today that colored vinyl has been around a lot longer than I thought. It's been around pretty much since the beginning of vinyl. And multi-colored vinyl has been around since the 50s, so it is at least plausible (although I am still skeptical of this one specifically).

https://www.amoeba.com/news-contests/ar ... index.html
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I used to have 78's that were Picture Discs

Colored Vinyl has been around since 1940's!

I'm sure there are occasional interesting Pressings out there

In 1960's I remember colored Vinyl on Children's Records
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Let me tell you why I wouldn't buy it...
Because in those days, they couldn't press Beatles records fast enough.
Most sold millions of copies but lets say it only sold 250,000 copies with picture sleeve...
NOBODY thought about rarity. If there was anything worth having, on a production line, you would have employees who might take a couple of copies home...every day! These kinds of things do happen, and that's why it's cool to be a record collector in L.A.!!! At the trusty Padadena City College swap meet, I met many such vendors. There was a guy who had BOXES of 'biscuits' off the line of CBS records ALL ROCK AND ROLL custom labels, promo labels, even a few colored vinyl. NO multi-color. But they were all unpressed legit blobs of vinyl. He took 2 per day because his LEVIS jacket had 2 lapel pockets. And so, if you saw something cool(Pink Floyd - Animals) you could dig and maybe find the second biscuit. But, there are lots of this type stuff that shows up. But this story isn't incredible. There are lots of records getting pressed and lots of reasons that eventually you realize that most of it goes to swap-meets to be sold. I once saw an argument escalate to near fist fight over an Elvis Presley record. As it happens, both persons were known vendors of big dollar collectables. One of them, a known associate of the biggest Elvis collector and price guide author around. At 6:30 AM, it can take you by surprise...the behavior, the 'other' personalities, the status of the 'reknown collectors' in collecting/selling world of vinyl. Just another day at the swap meet. How about stopping at a hole in the wall record store after work, only to find an intense conversation taking place over the counter regarding the offset lithography printing process and the negatives for separate colors...(for, example, NOT YELLOW...NOT ORANGE...NOT CAPITOL) but for a Sun Records labels. And, one of those people was one of the guys from swap-meet and the other guy is a press operator who picks up the working pieces(negatives, blanks) and is walking away while being told "those aren't good enough. They have to be perfect". Then, you see a rare Elvis single going up for auction and it's some kind of unseen two-color vinyl and it's being offered by the famous author of the Elvis Presley Price Guide and it's from the estate of Priscilla Sotheby would you care how much the minimum bid is? How about if it was on the Sun label? Et Cetera. There were moments of clear bright clarity at the P.C.C. and I really miss the education that CAN'T be bought for ANY price that you can get for free at the...NOWHERE else. Only there!
Beatles records sold in huge quantities. Most of them were played into oblivion on damage prone turn-tables.
They are almost never seen in perfect condition...when they're BLACK vinyl. So, if this rarity is perfect...that's against the laws of probability.
Thank you!
KC
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

slightly unrelated, i had only the record to Bob Dylan – Talkin' Bear Mountain Massacre Picnic Blues (TMOQ).
it was a see-thru half red and clear pressing and many years ago i stored it in a plastic inner and plastic protective sleeve. years later because my old room gets the morning sun and my lp shelves are opposite it (i'd usually close the curtains during summer/sunny days so they wouldn't warp). although it was stored in the shelf with the others i later found it must have reacted and as a result the red was ok but the clear half was now a very deep blackish-red color, still quite playable but you'd just hear the very quiet transition between the colors as a result.
a lesson learned and now stored in a paper sleeve.